Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes my 07 Pilot does not want to start and I have determined that it is the neutral safety switch. In addition the cruise control would disengage for no apparent reason. Adjusting (jiggling) the shifter would allow the Cruise to work again. Recently the CEL came on and the code that came up was P0706 which in my research points to the Neutral Safety Switch. It also lent explanation to the not starting until I adjusted the shifter as well as the Cruise Control disengaging.

I watched a couple videos on how to replace it and thought it was easy enough to tackle on my own. According to the videos I watched it is located at the bottom of the transmission on the driver side. You have to pull the tire. I found that it is not located where the videos depict. It is actually on the front side of the transmission and it has the shift linkage at the same location.

The problem that I am having is that the Neutral Safety Switch is stuck on the shift rod that comes out of the transmission (picture attached). I have cleaned it up and did what I could to remove the corrosion that is on the outside as well as in the slits on the top and bottom of the Neutral Safety Switch where it mounts to the rod. I sprayed it good with PB Blaster and it cleaned up pretty good. I blew it out with air and let is sit overnight and then all day hoping the oil would get in there and loosen it up. I wedged a screw driver in between the switch and the transmission, put the nut on the end of the shift rod and tapped it a number of times. I wanted to be careful not to wrench on it and mess up the rod since I was told it could result in needing to replace the transmission. No go! It will not come off. Talked to the stealership and they said they have seen this. They use penetrating oil and don't suggest heating it up.

After working on it again this evening without success, I decided to put it back together. I plan to drive it around for the next couple weeks and see if the code pops again. I am thinking that since I cleaned it all up in there that it may have corrected it. I could not reproduce the no start problem nor the issue with the cruise disengaging even though I tried to reproduce the problem. It was pretty sensitive before this. This may not mean anything but I am hoping it is corrected without removing it, since I cleaned it up, etc. If it pops again I may try again, hoping the oil got in there and loosened up the corrosion. If that does not prove successful, I will just bring it to my mechanic and fill him in on what I did, hoping he can free it up and pull it.

Anyone ever do this job? Did you have the same experience? Any suggestions on how to pull it without messing anything else up?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Ok ..well first off the reason why it's NOT coming off is that you need a 6mm open wrench to hold the center and take another open wrench for the nut to "unlock" it.
I just did this replacement you can save yourself a lot of hell by going after it from the battery area .. everything is right there.. I also included the instruction procedure from the service manual for you please follow it ..you will save yourself a lot of hassle.

Attachments

Reactions: futureboycolin

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok ..well first off the reason why it's NOT coming off is that you need a 6mm open wrench to hold the center and take another open wrench for the nut to "unlock" it.
I just did this replacement you can save yourself a lot of hell by going after it from the battery area .. everything is right there.. I also included the instruction procedure from the service manual for you please follow it ..you will save yourself a lot of hassle.
Wow, Thank you! This makes sense. Thank God I didn't try to force that Neutral Safety Switch off. I now know what needs to be done. I searched the repair manual but could not find the repair instructions. Thank you for including them.

Reactions: Tahoefever
1 - 3 of 3 Posts