Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2017 crv that I really like. I'm looking to upgrade because of all the accouterments one needs when traveling with 2 kids and a dog. I figured the pilot was the logical choice and the pilot seems like the crv's bigger brother.

However, I just stumbled across a few comments about the safety/sensing package that has me concerned. I drive in the suburbs, which has a few highways nearby, so a mix of stop/go + highspeed driving.

I use ACC (adaptive cruise control) nearly 100% of the time, even on city streets. Now...before I get piled on for that statement, let me elaborate: I use it as a backup to my own driving. What I mean by that is...if i'm going to be on a stretch of road doing 30mph, I engage/set the ACC so if something happens, the car will start to react if I miss it...I'm using it as a second set of eyes. The crv's acc has worked nearly perfectly in the past 3 years and I love it. I also love the brake hold. It's nice having the car stay stopped when stuck at a train crossing or whatnot..

So on to the pilot: The pilot apparently has no brake hold. I'm going to miss that feature but I can deal with it. But now i'm reading that the pilot ACC is horrible. It may not have low speed follow (will take the car all the way down to a stop and then resume back up to your set speed) and it overreacts to cars in front and brakes abruptly.

See: Cruise Control is Problematic and Unsafe - 2019 Pilot

Can anyone speak to this? Have they fixed/improved the ACC in the 2020/2021 pilots?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
I don't find it to be a problem on my 2020 Passport Touring. Exact same system. In town I don't set the cruise control portion. Cruise control is for highway driving, not stop and go traffic driving. Without setting the cruise control in town the CMBS system will still work to alert you and if need be attempt to stop your vehicle if you fail to take proper action.
This explains the system: Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™) | 2020 Honda Passport | Honda Owners Site

Honda still believes in drivers actually driving their vehicles. The whole safety system is not designed to be an autonomous system.

You might want to go to the Honda Owners site and check out the information on the whole system. View the videos and download the PDF's.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I haven’t used the acc in a CR-V, but my 2020 Pilot doesn’t have too good of an acc system. It slows you down alright but takes a while to speed back up. I think it’ll do a good job as a second set of eyes as you stated, but it might have some occasional mistakes. Be sure to check during the test drive.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
98 Posts
I've used ACC 75% of the time I drive and it's only on highways. I love this feature of my 2020 Pilot BE coming from a 2012 CR-V EX-L and 2015 Lexus IS350 F-Sport owner. It's my first time having this feature so I really don't have much of a comparison. I did experience the sudden breaks but it does not bother me. I occasionally shift lanes when the Pilot starts to decelerate due to a slower vehicle up front and I feel like the acceleration to the programmed speed is much smoother compared to the Lexus where you can hear the engine growl to reach the designated speed, well I guess they're not really comparable.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I don’t know if you looked at this yet but this is a good thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I think the issue is that unless you've driving a car with a really good acc system (and the CRV is good), you'd not know how the pilot compares...Not sure if any place is doing test drives what with the corona virus and all.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Not sure where you are located but the dealers around me are still doing test drives, that's the only way I feel you can truly gauge the system's performance.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
Yeah you can’t go off of what people say on here...you need to try it for yourself. I guarantee dealers will let you test drive. They wouldn’t lose a sale due to that.

·
Administrator
4,872 Posts
Wait, what???? Test drive???? You mean you guys didn't get your new vehicle from a vending machine? Dang, It took me three hours to put all them quarters into the machine to get mine to come out. 🤣

Seriously though, anyone buying a car, new or used needs to test drive it before making a choice. There is just no other way of really knowing what you are getting without a test drive to check out the vehicle and the overall features.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
I've test driven a couple of vehicles since March....If you contact the dealer ahead of time they are anxious to see you. I recommend that you always take a route you are familiar with. That way you know the bumps in the road, potholes etc and can use your existing ride as a benchmark.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I noticed that Honda dealers always give a really small test drive compared to other companies. I went to 3 different Honda dealers and they were all just around the block. I’d definitely ask over the phone if you can go on the highway to test acc and all that. You wouldn’t want to go all the way to the dealer just to hear them say no.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I noticed that Honda dealers always give a really small test drive compared to other companies. I went to 3 different Honda dealers and they were all just around the block. I’d definitely ask over the phone if you can go on the highway to test acc and all that. You wouldn’t want to go all the way to the dealer just to hear them say no.
I don't let the salesman dictate where I go and for how long...

"Turn here"
"No I have my own route I want to take"
"....uhhhhh....okkkk..."

·
Administrator
4,872 Posts
Around the Block? What part of the world do you live in?

When I test drover the Passport before I bought it, I took easily a 30 minute test drive. City traffic ways, side streets and on the interstate. The sales man happily rode along as we talked about everything in the vehicle. We talked about the Honda sensing, the new nav system compared to my 2013 Pilots system, placement of the controls etc. I pretty much knew how to operate the whole vehicle before I bought it. Us hicks in the sticks here only have one Honda Dealership in town but we are blessed with one of Honda's top dealerships.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I don't let the salesman dictate where I go and for how long...

"Turn here"
"No I have my own route I want to take"
"....uhhhhh....okkkk..."
Haha that must be really creepy for the salesman, but nothing can stop me from seeing how acc works 😂.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Haha that must be really creepy for the salesman, but nothing can stop me from seeing how acc works 😂.
I always test drive from the dealers nearest my house. I have some roads that are really bumpy, some that have midcorner bumps that can tell me if the chassis is unsettled, a short sting on I95 to see how it feels on the highway, etc. I'm not doing their standard loop.

Plus, being a bigger guy I need at least 30 mins preferably 60 to determine if I am really going to be comfortable driving that vehicle.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Administrator
4,872 Posts
It could really be fun if he did it with a big old Bowieknife strapped to his belt and carried a sack with duct tape and rope in it. I would love to see the Car Salesman Door Dash event in reverse just once.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I always test drive from the dealers nearest my house. I have some roads that are really bumpy, some that have midcorner bumps that can tell me if the chassis is unsettled, a short sting on I95 to see how it feels on the highway, etc. I'm not doing their standard loop.

Plus, being a bigger guy I need at least 30 mins preferably 60 to determine if I am really going to be comfortable driving that vehicle.
Do your dealers just let you go wherever do do you have to ask them? I never asked if I could have a longer test drive, but I think it just depends on the dealer if they’ll let you or not.

·
Administrator
4,872 Posts
My salesman was rather insistent that I take a longer test drive than what I had intended. Good mix of road conditions, 2 lane roads and interstate.
It's nice when you find salesmen who are more interested in getting you in a car you ultimately like rather than what ever they are trying to push.

It's the same reason I never ask what the special is at a restaurant. It's generally the slow seller they're trying to dump on the customer before they have to dump it in the trash.

Dumpster diving would take on a whole new meaning if you could dumpster dive for the unwanted vehicle models the makers produce. 😀

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Do your dealers just let you go wherever do do you have to ask them? I never asked if I could have a longer test drive, but I think it just depends on the dealer if they’ll let you or not.
When the salesman returns with my license I usually say something like "this is gonna be a while you don't have to tag along if you have other things to do". About half the time they come half the time they don't.

I've been doing a lot of the test drive promotions the last couple years so I have been test driving a lot of cars. Easy way to get $50 amazon gift card and I enjoy driving them. The new Sonata's tech blew me away.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts