Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I live in MA and the New England weather change a lot and need advise of which VCM should I get? After read all the post I think I am looking forward to get one but not sure which one is good and maintenance free. Got a 2017 EX-L model but low mileage on it. Anyone in New England area and currently using one, any advise and what is the pro and con, thanks.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
440 Posts
Or VCM Tuner II. They are more or less the same functionality. Electronically controlled ECT1 manipulation to keep VCM disabled no matter the ambient temps, and also have overheat protection built in.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think you will want the S-VCM then which Nail Grease posted. I use it, the email responses are FAST and it actually works.

I have been now in 30F to 101F temps with no issues. I monitor as much temps as possible with the Scan Gauge II and all seems to work well. There is a built in fail safe with the unit as well, at 225F it allows for factory operation. I have thankfully not had engine temps go that high ever though so I wish the fail safe was more around 220F, but hey all good otherwise. I am not too worried anymore about it after a few months of babysitting temp readings.

EDIT: Correction

Mistakenly wrote 240F as the fail safe, it is actually 225F where the unit returns to OEM function

Per S-VCM email a couple months back
"The unit you have will bypass when coolant temperature goes above 225F."

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think you will want the S-VCM then which Nail Grease posted. I use it, the email responses are FAST and it actually works.

I have been now in 30F to 101F temps with no issues. I monitor as much temps as possible with the Scan Gauge II and all seems to work well. There is a built in fail safe with the unit as well, 240F it allows for factory operation. I have thankfully not had engine temps go that high ever though so I wish the fail safe was more around 220F, but hey all good otherwise. I am not too worried anymore about it after a few months of babysitting temp readings.
why would you recommend the s-VCM over the tuner? I have the tuner and haven’t had any issues.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
My recommendation is by the experience I've had using S-VCM. I've never tried another brand nor do I have anything negative to say about VCM Tuner II. It obviously works well as there are many who use it.
When I made my purchase (x 3), I knew I didn't not want to manually switch out resistors. With either S-VCM and VCM Tuner II you do not.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

I have been now in 30F to 101F temps with no issues. I monitor as much temps as possible with the Scan Gauge II and all seems to work well. There is a built in fail safe with the unit as well, 240F it allows for factory operation. I have thankfully not had engine temps go that high ever though so I wish the fail safe was more around 220F, but hey all good otherwise. I am not too worried anymore about it after a few months of babysitting temp readings.
You may want to re-read the S-VCM website......don't think 240F has anything to do with fail safe. The VCMTuner II seems to "turn off" when ECT2 reaches 205F allowing the efans to run. I've never seen 205F ECT1 on the ScanGauge unless idling for a while. The only advantage I see to the VCMTuner II is the longer wires allowing the "black box" to be mounted further away from, vs on top of, the hot engine/tranny. I also like the VCMTuner II green wire that allows for easy disable of the disabler.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
S-VCM all the way. Install it and forget it. Simple.
Lol or uninstall it like me to get prepped for a timing belt change at the stealership. I’m actually going to keep it off for my long road trip for an accurate temp gauge. Having it disconnected for the 16 hours of straight driving with a packed car and the whole family in the summer will give me peace of mind.

When I get back I’ll plug it back in.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Are you referring to the factory temp gauge?.....that stops moving at 160F and who knows at what temp it starts moving again.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
94 Posts
Are you referring to the factory temp gauge?.....that stops moving at 160F and who knows at what temp it starts moving again.🤷‍♂️
I've always wanted to see someone demo this. All we know now it was is stated on the web site.

·
Registered
138 Posts
why would you recommend the s-VCM over the tuner? I have the tuner and haven’t had any issues.
My recommendation is through my own real world experience with it, I am sure there are other good products. I have been off-road and towing with the S-VCM, no issues.

You may want to re-read the S-VCM website......don't think 240F has anything to do with fail safe. The VCMTuner II seems to "turn off" when ECT2 reaches 205F allowing the efans to run. I've never seen 205F ECT1 on the ScanGauge unless idling for a while. The only advantage I see to the VCMTuner II is the longer wires allowing the "black box" to be mounted further away from, vs on top of, the hot engine/tranny. I also like the VCMTuner II green wire that allows for easy disable of the disabler.🤷‍♂️
Ya know I was wrong about 240F, it is actually 225F. Been a while since I did all my research. Per the S-VCM support email when I asked them months ago....

"The unit you have will bypass when coolant temperature goes above 225F."

That said, I like the 205F if that is where VCMTuner II returns to stock more but I have never seen the engine temp break 200F unless I am in a Vegas summer over 100F and I have my AC on which will turn the fans on anyway. I was super paranoid about temps due to living in the desert and after watching the temp sensors closely with S-VCM and it turned off, I finally took my scan gauge off during normal driving. Only plug it in now when towing or off-road.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I use the ScanGauge to monitor that the VCMTuner II is keeping VCM off. I mounted a male/female spade connector in the green wire.....takes 5 seconds to pop the hood, plug the connector in, VCMTuner II is then disabled, VCM is restored and the ScanGauge returns to displaying actual ECT.👌

I live in a desert as well, already had a 100F day a week or so ago. Only time I've observed 205F ECT is idling with a/c off. Efans turn on, ECT drops rapidly. TFT.......now thats a different story. Prior to installing a BATC 210F+ TFT was everyday while driving around town.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Lol or uninstall it like me to get prepped for a timing belt change at the stealership. I’m actually going to keep it off for my long road trip for an accurate temp gauge. Having it disconnected for the 16 hours of straight driving with a packed car and the whole family in the summer will give me peace of mind.

When I get back I’ll plug it back in.
It's your car, you can do what you want. But I'd be less worried about engine temps and more worried about VCM in a 16 hour trip. Either way, you'll be fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would not worry about leaving VCM as it was Honda engineered for 16 hours. I have over 70000 miles on my 2017 now, all with VCM. And I live in central Florida,,,and tow a boat 80 miles once a week. I am still liking how smooth this V6 engine runs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts