Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of my Pilot, I did not take the tow package as I thought the Honda equipment was a bit flimsy...Towing a boat 3800 lbs and a horse trailer at times around 4K. I know DRAWTITE makes a good hitch......Can anybody make any suggestions? Are they easy to install?, I know I need a cooler for the tranny? Does the Pilot need one for the PS? Have the EX model....Red.
Help?????????? Live in CT.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
385 Posts
a great time to make use of the "search" feature. Plenty of threads to give you enough info to completely confuse you. Concensus has been that the Honda hitch is more solid than aftermarkets(drawtite, hiddenhitch) primarily since there are 4 more bolts. Aside from the 4 large bolts on each side, there are 4 located near the receiver (that the others don't offer).

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
VirginRi said:
Just took delivery of my Pilot, I did not take the tow package as I thought the Honda equipment was a bit flimsy...Towing a boat 3800 lbs and a horse trailer at times around 4K. I know DRAWTITE makes a good hitch......Can anybody make any suggestions? Are they easy to install?, I know I need a cooler for the tranny? Does the Pilot need one for the PS? Have the EX model....Red.
Thanks in advance
This is one time that Drawtite will come in second to the Honda hitch. If you do the checking (as many have here) the Honda hitch uses more mounting points than the aftermarket hitches (at least the DrawTite and HiddenHitch).

They are relatively easy to install - just heavy. Nice to have a "helper" while you get the hardware started.

If you are towing the heavy stuff - STRONGLY suggest both coolers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re: Re: Need Towing package - Drawtite??

colorider said:

This is one time that Drawtite will come in second to the Honda hitch. If you do the checking (as many have here) the Honda hitch uses more mounting points than the aftermarket hitches (at least the DrawTite and HiddenHitch).

They are relatively easy to install - just heavy. Nice to have a "helper" while you get the hardware started.

If you are towing the heavy stuff - STRONGLY suggest both coolers.

Good luck!
Do you think stiffer rear shocks should be added from the extra weight of the trailer hitch?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Need Towing package - Drawtite??

tonyrwc said:
Do you think stiffer rear shocks should be added from the extra weight of the trailer hitch?
The hitch itself is only 80 lbs...IOW, no-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hitch

Thank you very much for your reply. Really surprised by the answer...are you guys car dealers??? :D

I guess you can only buy the Honda hitch from Honda or are there other purchase points? Eating pie...thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
One thing I'd like to add: I think that the Honda hitch, IMHO, looks a whole lot better than after-market hitches. I think it is pretty sleek...and it has a great clip to store the wiring harness. We had ours put on to be able to take a hitch mounted bike rack, so can't say much about how it tows (although we did get the coolers, should we ever need them :29: )

--Bret

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Hitch

VirginRi said:
Thank you very much for your reply. Really surprised by the answer...are you guys car dealers??? :D

I guess you can only buy the Honda hitch from Honda or are there other purchase points? Eating pie...thanks!
What kind of "dealers" do you think we are?!?!?! :2: :2:

You can buy the Honda hitch from any one of several on-line Honda accessory houses - including our site sponser of course!!! :29:

Good luck!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Hitch

VirginRi said:

Best prices are on-line at Honda dealer parts sites, such as HondAcuraworld.com, College Hills, HandA.com, Hondacuraworld.com, 4hondaparts.com and did I mention Hondacuraworld.com? :2:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hey I knowa a nica guy that cana dua business fora you, you know what I'ama sayin :15: capisce (okay incase you didn't get that you are suppose to act like the little green guy is italian)
:

Hey I think you forgot to mention HoNdAcUrAwOrLd.CoM :jump3:

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Honda hitch was a bit more money when I was looking. I settled on the Hidden Hitch round tube design. It doesn't have a bracket for the wiring but I plan on just using it for a bike carrier anyway. Although the Honda hitch has more mounting points, it still carries the same load rating as any other class III hitch. It's not the strength of the hitch but the capabilities of the tow vehicle that are the limiting factor.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
NHPilot said:
. . . . . Although the Honda hitch has more mounting points, it still carries the same load rating as any other class III hitch. It's not the strength of the hitch but the capabilities of the tow vehicle that are the limiting factor.
Very true, except;
For non-towing applications the rigidity of the attachment to the stress to high "tongue weight" loads is critical.

Since a ball mount is articulated the lever point is never further than the ball. When carrying a load that is not true and you can actually multiply the force on the mount if not careful.

The attachment at the center of the mount should greatly reduce the vertical forces on the rest of the mount.

In addition, I strongly suspect the center attachment may be required in to maintain the crash integrity of the vehicle by reducing the amount of force that bypasses the normal crush zones in a collision.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know exactly what you're saying N-Jay. But even with the longest moment arm and 'heaviest' load you could safely attach, the opposing moment arm is still from the center of the hitch to either attachment point, in this case 1/2 of the hitch width. More than sufficient in my opinion. One would have to have one of those 'basket' type attachments to even approach 500 lbs. But you're right, the load should be centered on the hitch and not cantilevered to one side. Also, the 500 lb. tongue weight is a for a static load. In a real towing situation with pot holes, speed bumps, and hard breaking all happening at the same time, the forces acting on the hitch are many times higher. This is worse for an attachment like a bike hitch, than it is for a typical ball mount, although the load would typically be much less.

The extra mounting points should only help in a collision, although I've seen cases where collision damages where probably worse because of a hitch redirecting all the energy and 'racking' an entire frame in stead of just the body damage.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
NHPilot said:
I know exactly what you're saying N-Jay. But even with the longest moment arm and 'heaviest' load you could safely attach, the opposing moment arm is still from the center of the hitch to either attachment point, in this case 1/2 of the hitch width. More than sufficient in my opinion. One would have to have one of those 'basket' type attachments to even approach 500 lbs. But you're right, the load should be centered on the hitch and not cantilevered to one side. Also, the 500 lb. tongue weight is a for a static load. In a real towing situation with pot holes, speed bumps, and hard breaking all happening at the same time, the forces acting on the hitch are many times higher. This is worse for an attachment like a bike hitch, than it is for a typical ball mount, although the load would typically be much less.

The extra mounting points should only help in a collision, although I've seen cases where collision damages where probably worse because of a hitch redirecting all the energy and 'racking' an entire frame in stead of just the body damage.
I was figuring the leverage from the center of load to the rear most attachment, not side to side. The center attachment shortens that distance by quite a lot.

And yes in a lot of casses a hithc will bypass teh crush zone and transfer more force deaper into the frame adding to damage. Again, the center attachment insures (to the strength of the bolts) that the rear-most crossmember is not bypassed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
VirginRi said:
Thanks in advance

The Honda OEM hitch is well made and finished. Fits in perfectly and leaves room for a full size spare if you want to use one. As noted in other posts, it also seems to Mount more securely with added bolts.

PS: The wiring harness is also perfect. Very easy to install- don't bother with a cheaper aftermarket version.

Honda says you need the PS and AT coolers. They are the hardest installs due to space (for the AT, getting makeup AT fluid in to that tiny fill tube and the effort it takes to remove the bumper first (the clips tend to break on the splash-shield so be careful)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts