Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site and about to be a new Pilot owner this weekend. The only apprehension I have about buying this vehicle is its towing capibility. I have a 22' offshore fishing boat that with trailer, 150 gallons of fuel, motor, etc. weighs around 4500 lbs., more or less. I'm not talking about striking out on the interstate at 80mph, just towing it maybe a mile or two at low speed (below 20-30mph), and launching it down a ramp. Will the Pilot do this? Does the Pilot, with the rear axle locked, have enough power and traction to pull this boat out of the water and up a ramp? The ramp is not steep at all, but I worry about the front tires being "unloaded" enough that I would have no traction, no matter how big the engine. Any input is appreciated, especially any first-hand experiance. Thank-you all for a great owners website.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Well Honda says 4500 for boats, so you are at the top of their rating.
On the other hand, auto manufacturers are usually conservative with these ratings since they will have to dell with the cost of being wrong.
I have not pulled anything yet, so I have no experience, but with the rear axle locked and having traction it would seem the front traction becomes irrelevant, as there is no front/rear differential.

Anyone with experience please feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Another thing to think about when looking at Honda's towing rating is the fact the the 4500lb. limit is with 4 adult passengers in the Pilot. On Honda's web page there are some in depth articles on the ability of the Pilot and how the ratings were done. I don't have first-hand experience, yet, our Pilot was supposed to come in yesterday but has yet to arrive at the dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts