Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since purchasing the Pilot my wife has loved it, but, the radio leaves much to be desired. She really liked the radio from her Dodge Caravan simple controls and easy to work. Anyone have any suggestions on a upgrade radio that I could purchase to install. I think we will most likely do a speaker upgarde also.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
jimburgia said:
Since purchasing the Pilot my wife has loved it, but, the radio leaves much to be desired. She really liked the radio from her Dodge Caravan simple controls and easy to work. Anyone have any suggestions on a upgrade radio that I could purchase to install. I think we will most likely do a speaker upgarde also.

Thanks
It might be helpful if you could tell us how much you wanted to spend and if you wanted any special features in your new system (XM, CD Changer, etc). I think most will agree that you get the most bang for your buck by upgrading the speakers. Next, I gleam, would be the Head Unit, or some might argue that an amplifier should be the next item. It really depends on what you're looking for, better sound, or ease of use.
If you brouse the Audio & Electronics forum you should find lots of information posted by some members including DIY instructions with pictures if you wanted to save a few bucks. Some of the members here are extremely knowlegeable in upgrading the stereo system so you should have no problem getting the answers you're looking for.
Like I mentioned earlier, the more information you can provide, the better responses you'll get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
JIM

IT DEPEND THE TYPE OF UNIT OR SPEAKERS YOU PUT IN. SHOP
AROUND FIRST. I JUST UPGRADE MY SPEAKERS WITH INFINITY
6002i AND 6000cs COST ME LESS THAN $300 NOT INSTALLED.
IF YOU CHANGE YOUR HEAD UNIT I RECOMEND THAT THIS TO BE
DONE BY A PRO INSTALLER. BEACAUSE, YOUR NAVIGATION UNIT
IS ON TOP AND YOUR HEAD UNIT IS ON THE BOTTOM. THAT IS
BIG JOB ASK THE PRO FIRST.


GOOD LUCK;;;;;;;;
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
smurray

I have a similar question and would hope that you could help me too!

I would like to upgrade as I think that the sound quality is pretty bad. Would upgrading the speakers really make a difference?

Or would I have to also add an amp. to make the quality better?

Not too interested in changing the head unit but would consider it if it really would make a difference. Something that fits well that would replace the original unit.

I do have the factory Nav unit so maybe that limits my choices.

What do you think? I would appreciate some help.

:confused: :5:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
smartlis1 said:
smurray

I have a similar question and would hope that you could help me too!

I would like to upgrade as I think that the sound quality is pretty bad. Would upgrading the speakers really make a difference?

Or would I have to also add an amp. to make the quality better?

Not too interested in changing the head unit but would consider it if it really would make a difference. Something that fits well that would replace the original unit.

I do have the factory Nav unit so maybe that limits my choices.

What do you think? I would appreciate some help.

:confused: :5:
smartlis1, I wish I was more knowledgable concerning this. I don't have any direct knowledge about audio upgrades, just kind of giving information that I have received through this forum. Here is what I understand from other's posts.

1. Speakers are the first upgrade to consider. The factory speakers are paper cone which are some of the cheapest you can get. If you can only afford to do one thing, consider the speakers first. I haven't heard of a subwoofer replacement that will fit in the factory hole that is considered an improvement on the stock one. If you must upgrade the sub, you'll have to purchase a box, or one of those stand alone units like Bazooka.

2. Depending on the speakers you buy, you may also want to consider an ampifier as well. This too can improve the overall sound.

3. Many would argue that the Head Unit should also be replaced. I have the RES and I like the tight intigration with the OEM HU and the steering wheel controls (how did I ever live without this before??). There is one manufacturer (Alpine, I think) that has an adapter for their HUs that will allow you to still use the steering wheel controls.

There are some real audiophiles on this board who can better answer your questions, I'm sure. They are able to give technical details that I am just ignorant of right now. Ferdball just did a complete Audio upgrade and this thread shows what he did and has some great posts. Check it out.

Good luck with the upgrade. I haven't done anything with mine yet. My wife could care less about the quality of the sound system and she's the primary driver. I'll be upgrading the hand-me-down car she graduated from and passed on to me. Speakers first!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
smurray

Thanks for the input! I think that I am going to do what you said before I do anything drastic with the head unit.

As I've stated before, I am having a real hard time adapting to the road noise so I am pretty sure that if I could get better sound out of the radio, I will be able to enjoy my trips better.

Again, thanks and happy piloting!

:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
smartlis1 said:
smurray
As I've stated before, I am having a real hard time adapting to the road noise so I am pretty sure that if I could get better sound out of the radio, I will be able to enjoy my trips better.
What vehicles are you comparing the Pilot too, that you think it has a lot of road noise?
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top