Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Pilot, the left rear door has peeling paint on the bottom half. Thinking of something like this, anyone had success before or is this just a waste of money?

The light touch up kit with clearcoat, not looking for anything perfect just something that looks decent. Should I do a light sanding first?

Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a 2006 Pilot, the left rear door has peeling paint on the bottom half. Thinking of something like this, anyone had success before or is this just a waste of money?

The light touch up kit with clearcoat, not looking for anything perfect just something that looks decent. Should I do a light sanding first?

Thanks!
Depending on your bodywork and painting skill level, you can make this look from horrible to a professional looking job. Depending on the condition of your almost 14 year old paint, even a pro may have a hard time getting a perfect match. Seeing that you're asking about sanding on a job like this, I would assume you have no knowledge of bodywork/painting.

·
Registered
353 Posts

Thanks!
"Decent" is relative, but the first thing to do is determine why current paint is failing. If there's a problem with the metal, nothing you put on will stay there very long. If its a repair, they probably used cheap paint and didn't prep well. If its a ding you're planning to live with, you can probably get pretty decent results.

Sanding is less important than making sure you have all the bad paint off. A dental pick or similar tool is great for chipping back to solid paint. If you're down to bare metal or have jagged edges that you want to get a little fill into, you'll need a primer compatible with the paint you choose. Clean the surface thoroughly with rubbing alcohol before spraying anything back on. Sand the primer lightly with 600 grit wet if you want a smooth surface.

If you're just looking for rust prevention that is close to the same color and not as obvious as no paint, a touch-up kit will work. I wouldn't bother with a DIY clearcoat in a rattle can - you're not going to get a clean blend into your existing clear.

Even for a driveway DIY, a single-stage (ie, no clearcoat), 2 part (paint and urethane hardener) paint from an auto paint store will be worth the extra money for color and durability. I know Sherwin will sell it in single-use rattle cans. Others might, too. The real cost of the job is the prep time. I think its worth using good paint.

Whatever paint you choose, a thorough buffing with quality compound will do wonders for the finish. And use a good mask rated for organics. This stuff is bad for you.

A similar question came up recently. You might want to review that thread for a range of perspectives. The synopsis is "if you want it to look good, pay a pro."

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Accidental damage showing. Head over to the scrap yard and have them order a door for you. You'll be miles ahead if you replace the whole door.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Or just do what the dude around the corner did ..has one green door ..a blue door , yellow rear door and the rest of the Pilot is camo painted .... I seriously kid you NOT ..

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
Or just do what the dude around the corner did ..has one green door ..a blue door , yellow rear door and the rest of the Pilot is camo painted .... I seriously kid you NOT ..
Where's the "This thread is useless without pics!" legacy smiley when you need it?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Where's the "This thread is useless without pics!" legacy smiley when you need it?
Yup was thinking the same !.... he's been keeping it in the garage ... can't go near to take a pic LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha, yeah I should have uploaded a picture, here you go. We bought the car when it was about 3 years old from local Honda dealer and it had paint damage so they repainted the lower half of the door. Lasted about 9 years but started to peel about a year ago.

Car is old and not worth much $, but I love it and have no desire to sell it, just want it to look better. Thought was to lightly sand around the peeling edges to feather the peeling part and just a light coat of new paint to make it look more even.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ha, yeah I should have uploaded a picture, here you go. We bought the car when it was about 3 years old from local Honda dealer and it had paint damage so they repainted the lower half of the door. Lasted about 9 years but started to peel about a year ago.

View attachment 132276
The repaired paint will probably keep failing, given the situation. Unless you get it off, there will be more flakes in another spot next year.

If you don't already have a good respirator, buffing tools and a spray rig, and you want it to last 5 years or so, best bet will be to go to an auto paint store and see if you can get a name for a local pro that moonlights from his garage. You can buy the paint, he can remove the stuff that's failing, prime and paint. An independent body shop that would take it as a "no rush" job would probably cost about the same.

Like I said, the touch up kit will work to a point, but you're not going to save much, the results will be poorer and it won't last as long as the rest of the car.

No free lunch on this one - just pick the compromise that works best for you.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
It clear coat which is peeling. Not a big deal. You can spray new clear coat on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts