Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headlight assemblies in my 2005 Pilot need to be replaced. I'd like to go LED. I was hoping to find a single product for doing both, but I've not found one yet. What is the best method to do both of these? I'd prefer to not just buy the "same old" headlights and plop in LED bulbs, because my understanding is that the reflective housing for LED bulbs is different from that with other style bulbs. Is my understanding wrong? Or is it being too picky? What have you done?

·
Registered
576 Posts
LED lights are likely to be much brighter, and thus illegal for standard reflector type headlights.

So if you just pop in some super-bright LED H11's into your low beam sockets, you are going to be a hazard to other drivers and might get a ticket.
Generally, those LED bulbs are designed for use in projector headlights that have a proper cutoff light pattern. If you search around, you should be able to find projector retrofits for an '05 Pilot.
Like these guys:

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,047 Posts
You're gonna get a lot of hate on here from people.

If you really need LED, do lots of research and be willing to pay more for higher quality. Some LED bulbs allow you to adjust them so that they won't blind oncoming traffic. Test them against a wall and be sure the light is focused and not creating lots of glare.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
^^^^ Wish the forum software would allow me to double-like posts. :)

And it's not just that blinding irks other drivers to no end, but you're actually making the road more dangerous for yourself that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, I'm an EMT/firefighter. I'm not looking to blind people - I hate that, myself. I just want the lower power, more-reliable, longer-lasting aspects of LED. That is why I'm looking for a housing that is adapted for LED, and why I don't intend to buy the OEM housings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Guys, I'm an EMT/firefighter. I'm not looking to blind people - I hate that, myself. I just want the lower power, more-reliable, longer-lasting aspects of LED. That is why I'm looking for a housing that is adapted for LED, and why I don't intend to buy the OEM housings.
I don't think there are any out there like that especially for a 16 year old car. I would recommend a projector retrofit into your housing if you're dead set on brighter headlights. You can get some Morimoto M LED projectors that have a cut off so you don't blind others out on the road and they're super bright. Install isn't the easiest though. I've got some retrofitted Morimoto Mini H1 HID projectors in my 04 Pilot OEM housings and they're plenty bright and don't glare or shine in other's eyes when properly adjusted.

·
Registered
86 Posts
there is absolutely nothing wrong with regular halogen bulbs. the aftermarket LED replacements are just a money grab for people thinking it is a worthwhile "upgrade"
clean up the stock plastic lens or just get new stock housing and retain the original bulb type.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My gosh. All these opinions and no help. Thanks, guys.
Sorry. People on here are for some reason are extremely opinionated when it comes to...everything.

I just purchased Fahren LED bulbs on Amazon. They allow you to adjust where the light goes in addition to adjusting the headlights on the car. I suggest buying something like that and playing around with the lights and doing lots of testing. It's possible you can responsibly upgrade. I see lots of older cars on the road with LED lights and they don't blind me.

Another member on here suggested Supernova V4 LEDs. I'm not sure why but you may want to look into those as well.

There is absolutely no harm in trying LEDs out. Worse case scenario you just return them and use regular bulbs. In the end it's your car and you can do whatever you want to do with it. Do share pictures if you end up making the upgrade!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well I'm a aftermarket LED plug-n-play non-hater. Had a burned-out halogen on our Ridgeline so I thought I would just try some LED low beam replacements from Amazon as they have a great return policy. A pair of LEDs were cheaper than a pair of SilverStar Ultras. The LEDs are AMAZING......and have not been flashed by oncoming traffic even once. YMMV, but they are keepers in IMHO. FWIW, (I don't know squat about LED headlights) I went with the Fahren brand due to 10,000+ favorable reviews. I was so impressed with the low beam change-out, I replaced the high beams latter on as well. Double AMAZING. (y)

·
Registered
705 Posts
There are a lot of people using LED headlights that are either designed or adjusted incorrectly and can temporarily blind oncoming drivers. I bought a set of BeamTech bulbs for the 2012 Pilot headlights, DRLs, and fog lights off of Amazon. I ordered two of each before I realized two bulbs come in each box. Amazon sent a UPS truck to pickup the extras and gave me a full credit.

They work great, no fans, no ballasts, no flicker, no blinding of oncoming traffic and an easy install after I took off the bumper (mostly to more easily get at the back of the fog lights).

I ran a pattern test on my garage door comparing the LEDs to the OEM halogens and they were aimed stock the same. Identical top cutoff line.

I also took a picture of them headon at the height of the top of the steering wheel of a half dozen cars I measured and there was no blinding glare at the lowest measured height.

I've had them in for about a year, and have yet to see one oncoming driver flash their brights at me. Not one, honest.

The increase in night visibility is remarkable, especially the high beams!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
3,211 Posts
While you may not like what it says a good read: Why Most LED Headlight Upgrades Don't Really Work: An Expert Explains

Secondly, what part of the country do you live. If it is a warm climate then all well and good. LED's have a significant draw back in cold/snowy climates being......

LED bulbs do not heat up enough to keep snow and ice melted off the lens. A good shot of WD40 on the lens helps keep the snow and ice from adhering. Just make sure to wash it off as soon as possible. Not sure what WD40 would do to the paint and plastics but I don't want a practical example happening on my vehicle either. I suspect that LED's on a vehicle like mine are not so much for the cool factor or so much for the long bulb life as it is with the low power draw, since Auto Idle Stop and all the other power hungry items such as the Nav System and various safety features vehicle have these days.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry. People on here are for some reason are extremely opinionated when it comes to...everything.

I just purchased Fahren LED bulbs on Amazon. They allow you to adjust where the light goes in addition to adjusting the headlights on the car. I suggest buying something like that and playing around with the lights and doing lots of testing. It's possible you can responsibly upgrade. I see lots of older cars on the road with LED lights and they don't blind me.

Another member on here suggested Supernova V4 LEDs. I'm not sure why but you may want to look into those as well.

There is absolutely no harm in trying LEDs out. Worse case scenario you just return them and use regular bulbs. In the end it's your car and you can do whatever you want to do with it. Do share pictures if you end up making the upgrade!
Hi kinda off topic sorta, I put plug an play low & high in my 2008 Pilot work great, I noticed you mentioned adjusting I found the up&down adjustment but didn’t see a side to side adjustment could you help if you have reference or picture of location or can they be adjusted side to side thanks

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Well I'm a aftermarket LED plug-n-play non-hater. Had a burned-out halogen on our Ridgeline so I thought I would just try some LED low beam replacements from Amazon as they have a great return policy. A pair of LEDs were cheaper than a pair of SilverStar Ultras. The LEDs are AMAZING......and have not been flashed by oncoming traffic even once. YMMV, but they are keepers in IMHO. FWIW, (I don't know squat about LED headlights) I went with the Fahren brand due to 10,000+ favorable reviews. I was so impressed with the low beam change-out, I replaced the high beams latter on as well. Double AMAZING. (y)
I bought a set of BeamTech bulbs
Links, gentlemen, links.

If only for the OP. But also for other interested parties perusing this thread.

I ran a pattern test on my garage door comparing the LEDs to the OEM halogens and they were aimed stock the same. Identical top cutoff line.
Wish everyone did this. (y)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Links, gentlemen, links.

amazon.com, then Fahren LED headlights in the search bar. Follow the alignment instructions of whatever brand of headlights you chose/order. If you don’t like them, return them following Amazon’s return instructions.

·
Registered
564 Posts
After reading stories of how retrofit LED headlights make it very hard to see while its raining af night, I think this is a bad idea.
Hum......that’s why I look at the number of reviews on an item, making sure the vast majority of the reviews are 4-5 stars. Then look for the return policy before ordering. Like I said, I don’t know squat about LED headlights.....heck, I didn’t know what “flickering“ was, until I did a little reading up. After installing, seeing is believing, vs the halogens that were in there. Four bulbs for $75.....I can live with that. A grand or more for complete factory LED lenses......not going there.

·
Registered
564 Posts
That link in post #12.......is that a pic of the links author? Shaggy hair/beard, t-shirt, cap on backwards......doesn’t look like (to me) an expert/professional.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
705 Posts
Links, gentlemen, links.
These are what I used on my 2012 Pilot for low beams, might need a different size for other years.
H11 led headlight bulb | led headlight bulb | led headlight car light – BEAMTECH (beamtechs.com)

The high beams are in the DRLs (hi/lo) which I believe is a different number. I think 2006 on up to 2015 were the same. Sorry OP, I don't know the exact specs for the 2005. Best to get the numbers off the OEM bulbs. (which is what I did)
Me too!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Hi kinda off topic sorta, I put plug an play low & high in my 2008 Pilot work great, I noticed you mentioned adjusting I found the up&down adjustment but didn’t see a side to side adjustment could you help if you have reference or picture of location or can they be adjusted side to side thanks
I don't know if a side to side adjustment. The only adjustment on the headlights are vertical.

The Fahren LEDs allow you to adjust them to some degree, although I'm not 100% sure how that works. I'll be working on that tomorrow when they arrive.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts