·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I have a 2006 Pilot.
Bought it Brand New.
First car I ever have owned that was a New
car. I picked it out myself and I LOVE it.
I replaced the Stereo, that is the only thing
That I have changed. I have kept it up with loving care, whatever is needed, gets done.
I do not know if you will agree with me, but Honda is not known for their Paint or Color Choices. I got Sage Brush Pearl- the Grey Metallic Color. I actually thought I got lucky with that color. Not a fan of Black or White.
I live in Los Angles and my Car sits out in the elements. So it is to be expected it would end up needing a new paint job.
I have an mechanic who’s Forman has been my go to guy for the last 8 years owning my car, since the Dealer, who was a friend sold his business.
My mechanic took my car to his hook up for a quote on the Paint Job.
We were told $3000.00.
What are your opinions on that?
And if I was to look into a different color,
Any recommendations for where to get an idea on Paints that are available?
Thank you All.
Hope I posted in the Right place,
And this was not too long, and made sense.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
How bad does it look?
How much/little are you willing to spend?
Maybe get a quote from Maaco.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How bad does it look?
How much/little are you willing to spend?
Maybe get a quote from Maaco.

Oh it is bad- and I am keeping my baby to the grave. As my Mechanic said I have taken such good care of the car, I will have it for another 10 years so I will spend the money.
He said he had his Truck done and it cost him $4000.00. And that was a family member ☹.
Also said he had gone and gotten quote from good old Earl Scheib, place out here in
In Los Angles known for “reasonable “ rates.
In the Old Days it was “ any paint job”
$99 .. they told him $4,500.00
So obliviously prices have gone way up.
I know he will do a good job.
Just want verification I guess.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
typical sun baked LA car patina? Lets see it.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I know you want to keep the ‘06 beautiful but the ROI just won’t be there. Price matters but so does quality of the work. Additional body work or color changes will increase expenses. Shy away from the Earl Scheib type shops.

·
Registered
504 Posts
What you spend on a paint job is a pretty reliable indicator of what you'll get.

Even a basic non-clear coat paint from a reputable manufacturer will cost $250 or so. Premium paint plus clear is at least double that. Even so, most of the cost is labor - some colors are less expensive, but if you don't like those colors, you won't save enough money to change your opinion.

If you want it to look good for 10 years and overspray on the window gaskets and plastic will irritate you, it's going to be expensive. If you know someone that does work you like, that's a big advantage.

On the other hand, if you just want it to more or less look "blue" (or whatever) from 20 feet away, take the low bid.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Drive it to a logically taxed/run state near you. Quote might be 50% of that.
Just saying. You're in Commiefornia. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
249 Posts
Hello All
I have a 2006 Pilot.
Bought it Brand New.
First car I ever have owned that was a New
car. I picked it out myself and I LOVE it.
I replaced the Stereo, that is the only thing
That I have changed. I have kept it up with loving care, whatever is needed, gets done.
I do not know if you will agree with me, but Honda is not known for their Paint or Color Choices. I got Sage Brush Pearl- the Grey Metallic Color. I actually thought I got lucky with that color. Not a fan of Black or White.
I live in Los Angles and my Car sits out in the elements. So it is to be expected it would end up needing a new paint job.
I have an mechanic who’s Forman has been my go to guy for the last 8 years owning my car, since the Dealer, who was a friend sold his business.
My mechanic took my car to his hook up for a quote on the Paint Job.
We were told $3000.00.
What are your opinions on that?
And if I was to look into a different color,
Any recommendations for where to get an idea on Paints that are available?
Thank you All.
Hope I posted in the Right place,
And this was not too long, and made sense.
Honestly 3 grand is on the cheap side for a complete color change. Just the labor to remove the doors, hood, lift gate and detriment the entire car is a big job. I’d guess it will take about a half gallon of color to paint your car. These days with waterborne colors and high solid clears, toners gets expensive quick. A gallon of clear, and hardener/reducer is about $450 for PPG envirobase EC520 clearcoat. Color is probably going to be like $600. Sealer is probably $200. So you’re at a grand just in liquid, not including sandpaper, body filler, and labor. I would guess a reputable shop that’s going to do it right will bid around $6,000. If you’re going to a guy doing it as a side job, $3,000 seems about right.

and you can go to any auto body paint supply store (like Wesco) and look through their color decks. They have every color made by every car manufacturer available to look at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello All-Happy Thanksgiving and I Apologize for the 1 Month😳 delay.. wow.. that was way too long..
I have many projects in Quarantine, and they are piling up.
I did finally get a couple of pictures taken, and here they are.
I will somehow find time to try and go to an online Paint supply store and take a look and what is offered, and maybe will have a decent Idea before I venture to a live store ( really do not want to)
before sending car in for the job.
I have looked around, and asked several other( s) and I do think I am getting a fair quote for a Proper job.
I don’t want to go the cheap route, what is the point?
Just wanted to make sure it was fair.
Thanks You Guys😊

1 - 10 of 10 Posts