Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2005 Pilot that a couple of years ago was repainted as part of the repair when a goofus drove into the back. The body shop removed all the removable bits for painting and replaced them when the painting was done.

They did a better job on some of the bits than others, and I've rectified most of them, but this one has me flummoxed.

About a year ago LOML were driving out the the Solomon Islands in MD to see a show. We had some time to blow so we were toodling around just sightseeing. At exactly 20mph the car started making this flapping noise with the sound eminating from under the car. Sounds like a loose panel flapping in the breeze. I've looked all over the car, and redone a number of the plastic body clips and cannot seem to resolve the problem.

It does seem to be getting worse with the speed of occurrence spreading a bit. I'm worried this thing is just gonna fly off one day and then I'll really know what it was....

Any ideas on how to track this down before that happens? It's not like I can get out and see the panel flapping. Any bright ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I've got a 2005 Pilot that a couple of years ago was repainted as part of the repair when a goofus drove into the back. The body shop removed all the removable bits for painting and replaced them when the painting was done.

They did a better job on some of the bits than others, and I've rectified most of them, but this one has me flummoxed.

About a year ago LOML were driving out the the Solomon Islands in MD to see a show. We had some time to blow so we were toodling around just sightseeing. At exactly 20mph the car started making this flapping noise with the sound eminating from under the car. Sounds like a loose panel flapping in the breeze. I've looked all over the car, and redone a number of the plastic body clips and cannot seem to resolve the problem.

It does seem to be getting worse with the speed of occurrence spreading a bit. I'm worried this thing is just gonna fly off one day and then I'll really know what it was....

Any ideas on how to track this down before that happens? It's not like I can get out and see the panel flapping. Any bright ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
No nails or stones in the tires correct?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea correct.

Doing a REALLY thorough search around the vehicle, I found 4 holes in the rear bumper and 6 in the front bumper that had no clips. I ordered a bag of 40 from Amazon and they will be here tomorrow.

I had looked everywhere BUT the bumpers... Doh.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
That's a tough one hope it resolves the issue for you

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No joy.

Plugs arrived today. I found about a dozen empty holes all over the body. Inserted clips in all of them.

Still this flapping noise at exactly 18mph..........

Any innovative ideas to figure this out will be welcomed with open arms.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does the sound change or go away with a higher speed?
Was any parts replaced from the accident - or just body repair/painting?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It only happens at exactly 18 mph?.

The tailgate, right tail light and rear bumper cover were replaced. I've looked thoroughly and can't find anything loose.

It "seems" like the noise is coming from the front, but I really can't tell for sure.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
What about the suspension stuff that spins like CV boots ..anything in the engine bay area out of the norm?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Does the noise happen just before the 2-3 shift? I wonder if it could be transmission related? Is the trans due for a fluid service?

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
Humor me... check the catalytic converters heat shields. Low speed/Revs buzzing is common when the mounts for the shields have rusted away

·
Registered
149 Posts
18 mph is the point at which the clutches in the rear differential disengage.
I would check the diff. fluid level, and then check the function of VTM lock (sandy or loose dirt road?) to see if all looks normal.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,947 Posts
If it’s possible to disable the VTM-4 system by pulling one or more fuses that could also help pinpoint if it’s a rear differential issue. I’m just not sure if that can be done without unintentionally disabling some other system.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I would check the diff. fluid level, and then check the function of VTM lock (sandy or loose dirt road?) to see if all looks normal.
You've got my vote on this one. VTM clutch noise being transferred through the drive shaft. Time for new fluid?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Likely choice would be No. 4 (20A) in the auxiliary under-hood fuse/relay box (driver's side near firewall).
Label is inside, under cover. It's the 'big' 20A - assuming the '05 is the same as the '06.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting. I'll give that a shot. Nothing else has reared it's ugly head. Yea, it's been a while since the VTM fluid was changed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BINGO! I owe you a beer. a LARGE beer.

Changed the fluid this morning, and voila, no more flapping noise.

I wouldn't have figured this out in a thousand years.

Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Or, not......

Initial short drive was misleading. LOML and I went on about a 1 hour drive yesterday. Noise still there.

Dang....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts