Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 15 pilot ex (i think) and i want navigation in it. Could i pull the system from the ex-l or am i wasting time?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Wasting time. Grab a NavTool setup, they have a nav plugin for the factory headunit or smartphone mirroring, both of which would be much better.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I bought a 15 pilot ex (i think) and i want navigation in it. Could i pull the system from the ex-l or am i wasting time?
IF you had an EX-L yes you can .. you can only go with the same trim level to make it work . Like Cintocrunch it would be a waste of time.

·
Registered
483 Posts
There are some rather fundamental wiring differences between nav and non-nav builds. There are certain modules present in one and not the other. Pinouts are different. You would need to replace a number of other things including some wiring harnesses. And for all that, you would get an outdated nav system that is a pain to keep current.

NavTool is, AFAIK, a minimally invasive interface that plugs in between the audio unit and the screen to allow phone mirroring. You do not get a touch screen, and need to control things from the phone. Cost about as much as a quality CarPlay/Android Auto head unit.

Your other option involves certain dash modification in order to replace the display with an aftermarket head unit.
Thread by DMG from a while ago:

My own recent overhaul (2013 EX). Has some fairly detailed wiring info.

As you can see, both projects required a bit of manufacturing. A lot of harness soldering as well.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
NavTool is, AFAIK, a minimally invasive interface that plugs in between the audio unit and the screen to allow phone mirroring. You do not get a touch screen, and need to control things from the phone. Cost about as much as a quality CarPlay/Android Auto head unit.
NavTool is expensive but when I look at the additional costs some users (like you) have incurred and the additional time spent, I could never justify it. Your setup appears to be exemplary, but I (and possibly the OP) just want my factory screen to mirror my iPhone. My wife doesn't need high fidelity audio for her Dave Ramsey podcasts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wanna be able to use navigation on the screen instead of my phone stuck on the windshield.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I think the best balance of cost and features is the NavTool smartphone monitoring... I'm not sure if they have a wireless version, I know they have a wireless module for their apple carplay/android auto setup but they are a little pricey.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Tom toms work great with the suction cup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts