Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 2009 pilot, i take my pilot to the agency to do the airbag recall and ask them to do a diagnostic on the engine,because it's gettin a bad miliage and random misfires,it has 183xxx m ,the problem is that its not showing any codes and it runs fine
I already change spark plugs,coils,egr valve,new intake hoses , new timing belt and water pump , but they tell me to do the piston rings instead of the valve adjusment because of its a common problem in pilot 2009
But my pilot it's not throwing any smoke
Can somebody tell me what are the symtomps of bad piston rings?
Or how can i know if my pilot need a valve adjusment?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,274 Posts
A few things to look at then, dirty oxygen sensor, dirty fuel injectors, malfunctioning mass airflow sensor, defective fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, stuck brake caliper, misaligned tires.

As for the piston rings, the first sign to look for is blow by. You may or may not see blue smoke at first or only a slight bit at startup. As worn rings get hot they will seal better, but this is only a temporary thing. Check the PVC valve to see if it is dirty or fouled with gasoline. Fouled or dirty spark plugs will also indicate blow-by.

Did the shop do a compression test on the cylinders or explain why they say it needs a ring job? A compression test will tell you if you have a cylinder or cylinders with bad piston rings.

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
Hi i have a 2009 pilot, i take my pilot to the agency to do the airbag recall and ask them to do a diagnostic on the engine,because it's gettin a bad miliage and random misfires,it has 183xxx m ,the problem is that its not showing any codes and it runs fine
I already change spark plugs,coils,egr valve,new intake hoses , new timing belt and water pump , but they tell me to do the piston rings instead of the valve adjusment because of its a common problem in pilot 2009
But my pilot it's not throwing any smoke
Can somebody tell me what are the symtomps of bad piston rings?
Or how can i know if my pilot need a valve adjusment?
I would not recommend doing a piston ring job on an 11 year old vehicle with that kind of milage. Did they give you a price?
Have you cleaned or replaced the (MAF) Mass Airflow sensor?
Has the VVT solenoids and screen filter gaskets been replaced?
Check to make sure your flexable intake air hose is not cracked.
VCM disabled?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A few things to look at then, dirty oxygen sensor, dirty fuel injectors, malfunctioning mass airflow sensor, defective fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, stuck brake caliper, misaligned tires.

As for the piston rings, the first sign to look for is blow by. You may or may not see blue smoke at first or only a slight bit at startup. As worn rings get hot they will seal better, but this is only a temporary thing. Check

As for the piston rings, the first sign to look for is blow by. You may or may not see blue smoke at first or only a slight bit at startup. As worn rings get hot they will seal better, but this is only a temporary thing. Check the PVC valve to see if it is dirty or fouled with gasoline. Fouled or dirty spark plugs will also indicate blow-by.

Did the shop do a compression test on the cylinders or explain why they say it needs a ring job? A compression test will tell you if you have a cylinder or cylinders with bad piston rings.
Hi daltongang , i think im goin to look the oxygen sensors and the pcv valve because i already replace the fuel injectors , the fuel pump and the MAF , a wile ago a shop did a compression test and they said it was good , in the honda service they don't explain to me why they wanna do a ring job,they only said it was really expencive and it was better for me to put a new engine or sell the pilot,i was working wen they call me so i din't have time to ask for an explanation
Thanks for the answer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not recommend doing a piston ring job on an 11 year old vehicle with that kind of milage. Did they give you a price?
Have you cleaned or replaced the (MAF) Mass Airflow sensor?
Has the VVT solenoids and screen filter gaskets been replaced?
Check to make sure your flexable intake air hose is not cracked.
VCM disabled?
Hi nail grease , i din't ask for the price they only tell me it was really expencive ,and it was better for me to put a new engine or sell the car , i already replace the MAF , Has for the VVT solenoids and screen filter gaskets they are never been replace , im goin to do that , as for the flexable intake hose is new , i replace the hose 1 mont ago
How can i disable the vcm?
Thanks for the answer

·
Registered
540 Posts
A compression test will tell you nothing about the condition of the oil control rings.
If the rings are the cause of your issues the spark plugs will show it, they will be black, wet/oily looking, and have deposits on it.
As far as ringing a 183k motor, we have done many with over 200k, no issues.

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
Hi nail grease , i din't ask for the price they only tell me it was really expencive ,and it was better for me to put a new engine or sell the car , i already replace the MAF , Has for the VVT solenoids and screen filter gaskets they are never been replace , im goin to do that , as for the flexable intake hose is new , i replace the hose 1 mont ago
How can i disable the vcm?
Thanks for the answer
I use S-VCM, I know there are others. This insures all 6 cylinders are firing at all times. It can prevent spark plugs from being wet, turning black and fouling out and help with having cleaner valves.

·
Registered
9,435 Posts
i din't ask for the price they only tell me it was really expencive ,and it was better for me to put a new engine or sell the car ,
Yes, to re-ring your pistons is expensive. And for them to make a blanket statement instead of which cylinder(s) may (hypothetical) need this service makes my alarm go off. Then you get the famous words to sell/trade. Im sure there are many members here that have 300k miles on their engines and haven't had their rings replaced. Your vehicle is near the milage that the VVT service may help. Deactivate the VCM. Yes, make sure you have no faulty O2 sensors. Use a top tier 87 octane fuel. If your vehicle rarely sees highway speeds, take it on a long drive. The cylinders that used to lay dormant under the VCM operation will benefit. I'd drive it that way for a while and see if those black wet spark plugs clear/dry up. Mine did.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A friend came home today and bring a code reader whit him,so we drive around town like 1 hour and he plug the reader to the pilot and no codes were trown only the misfires ,here its some pictures that i take of the code reader. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I finally got time to take plugs out and this is what they look like,they have only 8thousand miles,
But no oil in the spark plugs or the coils

·
Registered
957 Posts
It's hard to see in your photos, but the center electrodes on the plugs look clean. The plugs only have 8000 miles, but if the VCM system was causing oil fouling, we should be able to see it.

Have you ever cleaned the EGR passages in the intake manifold? At higher mileage, the passages get choked with soot. This problem builds up slowly, until finally the engine computer starts to put up misfire codes. A clogged PCV valve may also be adding to the problem. PCV valves are really cheap, just replace it.

As far as valve adjustment goes, with the miles you have on the engine, you are due to adjust the valve clearances. However, i don't think the valves are causing your misfire problem. If you don't check the clearances, you run the risk of burning an exhaust valve, but I doubt that it is the cause of your misfire--unless you already have a burned valve, and in that case you need to consider a valve job.

Bottom line, these are all maintenance issues that should be dealt with. Do the work, and your Honda V6 could go for another 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes Stmech i already clean the egr passages in the intake
Next thing im goin to do , its change oil & filter , pcv valve and check the valve's clearance

1 - 14 of 14 Posts