Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone:)

I have a problem on my 05 pilot with 194,000 miles. I was driving on the highway and suddenly my car stop running. pull over the road towed the car back home.the next day i tried to crank it up but no luck except the starter is working. check the timing belt and marks they're all in specs.try to crank it up again with a little help from my wife and I notice right away that the crarkshaft is not rotating.i pulled out the starter and check the flywheel gear and its ok.I try to rotate the flywheel with my finger and it did turns freely with my finger. do you think I have a broken drive plate? since there is a leak on my rear main seal.

Thanks and more power!!!
Ann

·
Registered
4,972 Posts

I have a problem on my 05 pilot with 194,000 miles. I was driving on the highway and suddenly my car stop running. pull over the road towed the car back home.the next day i tried to crank it up but no luck except the starter is working. check the timing belt and marks they're all in specs.try to crank it up again with a little help from my wife and I notice right away that the crarkshaft is not rotating.i pulled out the starter and check the flywheel gear and its ok.I try to rotate the flywheel with my finger and it did turns freely with my finger. do you think I have a broken drive plate? since there is a leak on my rear main seal.

Thanks and more power!!!
Ann
The key point is that it died out on the highway. I'm still afraid that your timing belt broke. There's a good chance that a valve is hitting the top of the piston, preventing the crank from turning. Need to remove timing belt covers and inspect the timing belt on the tensioner side.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi nail I don’t think the timing belt is the problem. The belt is good but even though I’d replace them anyways. My main concern is ,when you turn the key on and crank it up.the crankshaft is not turning in the same way when you crank.the starter is just spinning the torque converter

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Hi nail I don’t think the timing belt is the problem. The belt is good but even though I’d replace them anyways. My main concern is ,when you turn the key on and crank it up.the crankshaft is not turning in the same way when you crank.the starter is just spinning the torque converter
Ok.
This is not a pilot or even the same engine. But could this have happened sometime in the past where the bolts weren't torqued and fell out?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks and more power!!!
Ann
Sound like your flywheel bolts sheered off... You shouldn't be able to turn flywheel with your finger.. Please let you know what you found

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
You know the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

I don't think it applies here. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All the bolts are intact. I was surprised when I opened it up. Since it’s been 15 yrs now my pilot hauls a lot heavy stuff. From transferring furnitures,lawn sods,cements ,gravels etc . Traveling everywhere in the United States and Canada . I think one of the reason (maybe ior not) it came out from its press fit is the load that I put on the car. I exceed the towing capacity specs.anyways lesson learned. But the bottom line is we love ❤ our Honda’s from our 97 civic ex with 290000 miles on it and 2015 crv and our 2005 pilot 198,000 miles.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
I exceed the towing capacity specs.
As ole timey radio host @xGS is fond of saying...

Nice find. (y) Now you're going to fix it, put your be🧡ed Pilot back on the road, and henceforth mend your ways and stick to tow specs, right?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts