Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have some hesitation on acceleration, have done all I can do with transmission. Don't think it is the trans judder. I have added the SVCM, trans cooler and changed to full synthetic ATF. When I accelerate I get a delay and then it continuous to accelerate (way before shift point). My next best guess would be EGR, maybe the injectors. Should I clean the EGR or buy new? Could not find any instructions on this. Do I need to worry about any calibration / reset after I clean it or replace it? Anyone else experience the hesitation on acceleration? 2016 EX-L AWD

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Milage?
Have you ever had emission codes P0420 or P0430?
I don't know of a need to reset if cleaned or replaced. I would be interested in knowing if it made a difference.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You don't have ECON mode on do you?
I do have econ mode, got so used to the tame take off, I do turn off sometimes because it's so hot here in Florida and need the AC to work harder. Should I not use ECON mode?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Milage?
Have you ever had emission codes P0420 or P0430?
I don't know of a need to reset if cleaned or replaced. I would be interested in knowing if it made a difference.
No codes. just hesitation. I may order a new one, just need to know if there is a calibration I need to do. I read somewhere that they had to accelarte and decelarate a certain way to reset. No idea if that is real.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Before replacing the EGR valve, yes, I would not use Econ mode. See if this fixes the problem.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Ok, I will try. What would be the remedy? Or is there none.
After seeing the carbon buildup on my valves during a recent DIY fuel injector replacement, I might not rule out a plugged EGR valve/system. Oil has made it into the intake manifold. Some are using a catch can as a preventative. The EGR valve is easy to remove and the replacement gasket is inexpensive. It may be worth investigating. I was asking about your milage, carbon buildup on your valves may need cleaning.

Reactions: ron2016

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Before replacing the EGR valve, yes, I would not use Econ mode. See if this fixes the problem.
So I tried last night with ECON OFF. Light load, just me and not hot outside, I could not replicate the hesitation. Will try again today.
Can you explain what is going on with ECON MODE? thank you.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Yes, Econ mode neuters the ECU and overall engine performance in an effort to- wait for it...................
be more 'economic'- as in get SLIGHTLY better mpg.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
So I tried last night with ECON OFF. Light load, just me and not hot outside, I could not replicate the hesitation. Will try again today.
Can you explain what is going on with ECON MODE? thank you.
It acts as a governor, preventing rapid acceleration.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there anything we can do to fix this, with Econ ON? I think we did not feel this for example when car was newer.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Is there anything we can do to fix this, with Econ ON? I think we did not feel this for example when car was newer.
I don't know your milage, but some basic maintenance can improve things, especially if any of these have never been done. You did #1 on my list. Disable the VCM.
  • Disable the VCM
  • Air filter New/Clean, installed correctly
  • Clean the MAF. Remove and spray a few short bursts of CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner directly into the visible electrodes (no soaking). Let dry thoroughly before re-installing.
  • Air intake hose is leak free, clamps tight
  • Spark plugs New/Clean within specs
  • No oil in spark plug tubes (not likely on a 3rd gen, yet)
  • Coils oil free, firing properly
  • Replace/Clean PCV valve
  • Replace/Clean EGR valve
  • No O2 sensor related codes
  • Clean valves
  • Use full synthetic oil (no blends or Extended Performance oil)
  • Use a top tier 87 octane fuel or regularly use injector cleaner

Reactions: aggrex and ron2016

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know your milage, but some basic maintenance can improve things, especially if any of these have never been done. You did #1 on my list. Disable the VCM.
  • Disable the VCM
  • Clean the MAF. Remove and spray a few short bursts of CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner directly into the visible electrodes (no soaking). Let dry thoroughly before re-installing.
  • Clean valves
Thank you.
Will try
Clean the MAF
Replace/Clean PCV valve
Replace/Clean EGR valve

Got some of the other ones already completed.
VCM is disabled recently, ATF is full synthetic, trans cooler installed, Spark plugs already changed, use Top Tier when I can and run mid to high grade, use Techron and or lucas fuel treatment.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
  • Disable the VCM
  • Clean valves
Just to add on my list here. I tried a heavier weight oil once. It made my engine feel sluggish. I'd only use 0w20 in this 3rd gen engine. There are also some really cheap oil filters out there. They fit our vehicles but they are short in size and I worry about the relief valve opening at the right pressure. I'm not wanting to get in an oil filter debate here, but I'd make sure your filter meets the correct specs of a known quality filter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Replaced PCV valve and so far we are doing better. Still early to tell. We do have some weird symptoms during take off, if someone wants to comment I would love to hear your input. Every once in a while we don't have power at take off, gear is in but when we apply some gas paddle the car doesn't really want to move then suddenly goes. This has not been observed in the last few days with the new PCV valve. Still waiting if this is resolved. I would like to rule out transmission issues, don't know how.
(reminder for those reading, I have added SVCM, trans cooler, recent triple drain and fill with full synthetic ATF)
Thank you. My next move if still hesitating during acceleration is to clean MAF and replace EGR valve. After that I am out of ideas.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Replaced PCV valve and so far we are doing better. Still early to tell. We do have some weird symptoms during take off, if someone wants to comment I would love to hear your input. Every once in a while we don't have power at take off, gear is in but when we apply some gas paddle the car doesn't really want to move then suddenly goes. This has not been observed in the last few days with the new PCV valve. Still waiting if this is resolved. I would like to rule out transmission issues, don't know how.
(reminder for those reading, I have added SVCM, trans cooler, recent triple drain and fill with full synthetic ATF)
Thank you. My next move if still hesitating during acceleration is to clean MAF and replace EGR valve. After that I am out of ideas.
A clean MAF will help the fuel air mixture. A dirty MAF can affect how well the engine performs. I'd not change the EGR valve just yet.
I'm still wondering how many miles are on this vehicle?
The direct injection can make for some dirty valves. If the vehicle is high milage, I'd consider a valve cleaning.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A clean MAF will help the fuel air mixture. A dirty MAF can affect how well the engine performs. I'd not change the EGR valve just yet.
The direct injection can make for some dirty valves. If the vehicle is high milage, I'd consider a valve cleaning.
View attachment 148978
I am at 86k mi. I can start with the MAF. I used lucas fuel treatment and Chevron Techron Fuel Cleaner Additive for a while. What should I do for valve cleaning?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
View attachment 148978
That's the million dollar question. I had my intake plenum off when I replaced the fuel injectors. I used CRC intake valve cleaner an scrapped it off, then sucked it out with a shop vac. Not a fun job.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's the million dollar question. I had my intake plenum off when I replaced the fuel injectors. I used CRC intake valve cleaner an scrapped it off, then sucked it out with a shop vac. Not a fun job.
WOW. ok. I will start with cleaning the MAF today.
Quick note, I have this feeling that when the outdoor temps are cooler I don't feel the hesitation. Does that point to MAF?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts