Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been a while, 2009 Pilot ex-l awd has recently been acting up. I start off with driving the car no issues until after approx 10 min of driving, engine jolts and engine light goes on then off then after a few seconds engine quits with the abs, vsa and check engine light pops up. Pull off side of road, turn car off and restart and able to drive a few more minutes until it happens again. Series of codes present but the ones that remain current are the 83-1 ECM relation malfunction 86-1 Control area network malfunction. Anyone have any ideas where to begin? Possible ECM falure or possible VSA module falure? Hopefully someone had a similar experience...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tried a different ecm, same issue. I ran the car with the alternator unplugged with a jump box connected to the battery to rule out the alternator, same issue. Im at my wits end!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I literally just had the same codes and faults on my 09. It was the alternator. Not sure about the method you used to rule out the alternator but that is your problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer told me they unplugged the alternator and test drove the vehicle with a jump box hooked up to battery and said the issue was still present. Not sure if that procedure is enough to say it isnt the alternator. How was your Pilot acting and what codes other than the ones mentioned did you have? I had approx 30 codes and when I cleared them the 2 that remained current are the ones listed

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had quite a few codes. Vsa light battery light.

Just curious but if the dealer was troubleshooting the problem what did they have to say?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didnt have them go any further with diagnosis, they called Honda Tech and they told them to rule out the alternator by performing that test. I will pm you, thanks!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts
Have you checked the condition of all battery positive cables, battery negative cables, and all cables connected between the engine block and chassis. Look for poor connections and corrosion.
And when was the last time the battery was replaced?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was one of the very first steps Ai took into diagnosing the problem, all checked out, and battery is approx 3 yrs old and tested.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went further into diagnosis, all fuses checked out in cabin and in engine compartment, battery and ground cables are new. I checked for obstruction in the air intake and MAF and saw nothing. When the car dies when reaching operating temp, it dies completely, I pull off to the side of the road, cycle the key off and then back on and starts everytime, able to drive another 5 or so minutes, sometimes even longet until it dies again. Filled the tank with 93 octane, no change..approx 28 codes that are either pending or confirmed, most point to ecu communication but already tried a different exu and still same issue. I removed the abs fuses and relays to rule out the vsa modulator and same issue! Anybody want this thing?????

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts
Do you have a Honda specific code reader which reports live data? Perhaps you can get a better story of what is happening real time before the shutdown occurs.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hi all, been a while, 2009 Pilot ex-l awd has recently been acting up. I start off with driving the car no issues until after approx 10 min of driving, engine jolts and engine light goes on then off then after a few seconds engine quits with the abs, vsa and check engine light pops up. Pull off side of road, turn car off and restart and able to drive a few more minutes until it happens again. Series of codes present but the ones that remain current are the 83-1 ECM relation malfunction 86-1 Control area network malfunction. Anyone have any ideas where to begin? Possible ECM falure or possible VSA module falure? Hopefully someone had a similar experience...
The symptoms seem related to the engine warm up time. Have you checked the coolant temperature sensor? Maybe just replace it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would think id be getting a code for it if it was faulty. I checked for continuity and all checks out. I want to narrow it down to the issue before throwing parts at it, but thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I would think id be getting a code for it if it was faulty. I checked for continuity and all checks out. I want to narrow it down to the issue before throwing parts at it, but thank you for the suggestion.
The onset of symptoms tied to warm up time period makes me suspect the coolant sensor. I believe that you can test it in a pot of water on stovetop. Resistance should change with temp. If the sensor is giving false overheat signal to the ECU, it could cause some of the driveability problems.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Went further into diagnosis, all fuses checked out in cabin and in engine compartment, battery and ground cables are new. I checked for obstruction in the air intake and MAF and saw nothing. When the car dies when reaching operating temp, it dies completely, I pull off to the side of the road, cycle the key off and then back on and starts everytime, able to drive another 5 or so minutes, sometimes even longet until it dies again. Filled the tank with 93 octane, no change..approx 28 codes that are either pending or confirmed, most point to ecu communication but already tried a different exu and still same issue. I removed the abs fuses and relays to rule out the vsa modulator and same issue! Anybody want this thing?????

Post the codes please. This must be a power issue. If everything checks ok it sounds like a connection issue. With the codes i shouod be able to narrow it down and point you to pins to check with a multimeter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts