Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been 9 mos + 7 mos old baby = 16 mos since my wife went away for a vacation. I, unfortunately, had to go to Las Vegas a few times for bachelor parties. To make it up to her and with her birthday in mid-October, i am planning on a getaway with my wife and 2 babies (7mos old daughter and 3 weeks old Pilot).

We used to vacation in the Carribeans but i am not ready for airplane and baby yet. Oh yeah, the Pilot might be a problem for the airport security :) .

Suggestions please. bear in mind we have a baby.

We are in NYC and probably can deal with 5hrs drive radius. How's lake geroge in Oct?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Lake George

It is wonderful in October. I have been there a few times at that time of year, and it's quite beautiful, though it can be cold. VT is nice, and so is western Mass. In VT, you can visit apple wineries...we did that one year, and had quite a good time.

I'm camping in NH in October. It should be lovely, too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Driving Vacation Idea...

The Smoky Mountains are usually very nice in October. I can see the Pilot driving effortlessly along the Blue Ridge Parkway, with all the changing leaves gracing the mountaintops...

Sounds good to me!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Re: Driving Vacation Idea...

ChiefPilot said:
The Smoky Mountains are usually very nice in October. I can see the Pilot driving effortlessly along the Blue Ridge Parkway, with all the changing leaves gracing the mountaintops...

Sounds good to me!
Ooh! That's right! Or Skyline drive in Shenandoah, and the lodge there is top-notch!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yeah that is a beautiful drive, the blue ridge pkw...

·
Registered
592 Posts
The Poconos might not be bad either. Or New Hampshire in Fall is beautiful.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Maine is gorgeous now & will be for another month or so. A lot of tourist have left, so the ocean should be relatively accessible. Have you ever been to Acadia National Park?

The Western Mountains & NH are also a great drive.

How can you go wrong? You'll be riding in your Pilot. :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tasha said:
Maine is gorgeous now & will be for another month or so. A lot of tourist have left, so the ocean should be relatively accessible. Have you ever been to Acadia National Park?

The Western Mountains & NH are also a great drive.

How can you go wrong? You'll be riding in your Pilot. :D
Hmmm....

Maine sounds great. My wife and I have never been to Maine.

Any recommeded town/place to stay?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Personally, it's hard to go wrong anywhere in Maine. If you can't bear to drive the extra 2-3 hours, you may want to stick to Southern Maine.....Kennebunk up to Brunswick is gorgeous. I have heard that Inn By The Sea is beautiful. Check it out here at http://www.innbythesea.com .

If you come up to central Maine (where I am), it is worth the trip to Greenville, and I recommend http://www.lodgeatmooseheadlake.com . It is mountainous with Maine's largest lake & in early to mid October the foliage is stunning. You'll see Moose and lots of other wildlife. OR, head to the coast to the Acadia region. Absolutely gorgeous!!! And lots to do if you enjoy the outdoors (bring, or you can rent, mountain bikes to ride the carriage trails). There are many wonderful bed & breakfast places to stay....or check out these:
http://www.barharborinn.com/
http://www.barharborresort.com/

If foliage is your thing, check out this link http://www.visitmaine.com/seasonal/fall_2002/touring.php?PHPSESSID=ef9064cb67f820e35992f1914d63e080 .

Another alternative is to come up to Greenville or Bar Harbor and then head over the the NH White Mountains via Route 2. It is a gorgeous ride and you'll drive through lots of Maine small towns. My hubby & I make the trip annually.

No matter what you do, you'll end up with lots of quality time in your Pilot. :2:

Let me know if you end up in Maine & have a great vacation!

Edit: The Sebago lake region is also beautiful, and would be a shorter drive than upto Central Maine. Just be prepared for a ton of traffic that creeps along at a snails pace. We tend to avoid the area, even though it is beautiful. Just too much traffic for our enjoyment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maine and New Hampshire

Bethel is a very nice place in western Maine - where Sunday River resort is located - and some of the accommodations are more upscale. Many beautiful spots in the area. Also close to New Hampshire. Jackson, NH area is truly beautiful. You can drive the Kancamaugus Highway over the crests or take the Pilot up Mount Washington and get the "This car climbed Mount Washington" bumper sticker.

BTW, if you hate outlet shopping, avoid North Conway - or, if you love it, go there - though there are a number of peaceful things to do in that area, including a steam train ride.

The Maine coast is very nice. Kennebunkport is very pretty - nice beaches, but a little late for that. Ogunquit is beautiful. Portland is a heck of a small city to spend some time in. Freeport (more outlets plus LLBean) is a short drive north. Beyond Freeport are nice towns like Boothbay Harbor.

Me, I like the mountains.

On your way up or down, Portsmouth NH is a terrific place (nearby Exeter is also very nice). And stop in Newburyport, Rockport, Salem and Marblehead, MA. Putting aside all the kitschy witch stuff in Salem, the town has a huge amount of history to offer (we're members of the Peabody Museum, which has an unmatched collection of Asian materials). Rockport and Marblehead look like postcards or paintings.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just booked 3 nights at the Cooper Hill Inn in Vermont for Columbus day weekend. This thread actually inspired me to do it. Anybody ever stayed there?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts