Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my Pilot is around 135k miles and I need to replace my tires again... this would be my 4 set of tires, I have always got Michelin and now I have premier LTX installed... Any recommendations? I would like something reliable and not too noisy?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
First recommendation would be the Michelin Defender T+H: Defender® T + H

Beyond that:
Do you want only Michelin tires, again?
If not, are there any brands you would not buy?
Does it usually snow (much) where you live?
Do you have an upper budget limit?
How much longer - mileage wise - do you expect to keep your Pilot?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,407 Posts
I'd recommend the Defender LTX. They are relatively heavy duty and get great reviews. The Defender T+H are practically a car tire and at least on our old Odyssey they wore out pretty quickly.

Also I don't know if you have a regular tire place, but I went to Discount Tire the first time in November and I was amazed with their service. They allowed me to make my own decision with no pressure at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, some extra info
I live in SC so not much snow here, Michelin tires are made in SC so usually you can find good discount but I am open to other options (have ised Goodrich in the past on an old Bronco)
This last set seemed not as good as the previous I dont remember what was the previous model though.. I am planning to keep the Pilot for probably another 5yr ... maybe more actually, looking to buy a used Pilot 2015 for my wife.. for some reason the 2016-2020 are waaaaay smaller inside I am 6’5’’ so hard to fit in those

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you experience any issues with the Michelin tires? The Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza are on my Pilot and they have performed well.
What size are your tires? Standard Pilot 2012 is 235/60/18 bit I didnt aee that size on the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
The Defender T+H are practically a car tire and at least on our old Odyssey they wore out pretty quickly.
The Defender T+H was introduced three years ago.
How many miles, during the past three years, did you put on the set you had on your "old Odyssey" to wear them out "pretty quickly"?

FWIW, the Pilot was equipped from the factory with "car" type tires.

·
Registered
8,932 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,407 Posts
Ok, some extra info
I live in SC so not much snow here, Michelin tires are made in SC so usually you can find good discount but I am open to other options (have ised Goodrich in the past on an old Bronco)
This last set seemed not as good as the previous I dont remember what was the previous model though.. I am planning to keep the Pilot for probably another 5yr ... maybe more actually, looking to buy a used Pilot 2015 for my wife.. for some reason the 2016-2020 are waaaaay smaller inside I am 6’5’’ so hard to fit in those
If you can stomach the cost of the Michelin Defender LTXs then those will definitely be the best.
The Defender T+H was introduced three years ago.
How many miles, during the past three years, did you put on the set you had on your "old Odyssey" to wear them out "pretty quickly"?

FWIW, the Pilot was equipped from the factory with "car" type tires.
The Defender has been out since 2012 I believe. I am sure some things have changed, but it is the same design. Have you run the Defender T+H on your car?
What leads you to not recommend the Defender LTX tires?

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I've got a 2012 Crosstour and a 2017 Pilot running on these Sumitomo HTR A/S PO2 directional tires and they are great (at 60k miles on the Crosstour). For my Pilot, I paid $100 x 4 to ship to my house, + $100 mount and balance at my local tire shop, made the deal even better. No need to pay $1000 for tires anymore.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,274 Posts
My 2013 Pilot Touring came with Micheline Defender LTX's as the OEM. I got 61,000 out of them before I replaced them. They still had some tread left, but with winter coming on I wanted new tires for the snows that we do have. Did a bunch of research, even on the Piloters forum and ended up going with the same thing. My driving of the Pilot was 99.9% street and highway.

With that said the 2013 Pilot was traded for a 2020 Passport Touring equipped with Continentals. They seem like a good tire, however the passport will see more off paved road use so when the time comes I will investigate other options. Point is, if it ain't broke why fix it. You need to evaluate your driving habits and pick the best tires for your needs.

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
My 2013 Pilot Touring came with Micheline Defender LTX's as the OEM.
Interesting.
According to the Tire Rack website, the OEM tire for the 2013 Pilot Touring was the Michelin Primacy MXV4.
Also, the Defender LTX wasn't introduced until 2015.

·
Registered
150 Posts
after 1 more rotation. I'm going to be needing my 3rd set of tires for my 2012,, and i'm just going with whatever's on sale at costco. a pilot apparently doesn't care what you put on it, you'll be lucky to get 40k miles out of them

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,274 Posts
Interesting.
According to the Tire Rack website, the OEM tire for the 2013 Pilot Touring was the Michelin Primacy MXV4.
Also, the Defender LTX wasn't introduced until 2015.
Sorry about that, you are right got my Michelin alphabet mixed up. I stayed wit the Primacy, not the Defender.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I highly recommend the Firestone Destination LE2 . I have had multiple sets of these on multiple suvs. They make the Pilot handle like a car, plus have excellent rain, multiple inch snow traction and a very smooth ride with no noise. They recently replaced these with the LE3, so you may be able to get a really good deal as well.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
244 Posts
Hi, my Pilot is around 135k miles and I need to replace my tires again... this would be my 4 set of tires, I have always got Michelin and now I have premier LTX installed... Any recommendations? I would like something reliable and not too noisy?

thanks in advance!
I'm on my second set of Goodyear Assurance Comforttread Touring and I like them

·
Registered
2 Posts

thanks in advance!
Hi, I'm running the Goodyear Eagle Sports on my 2012 4X4. Getting excellent wear and handling and no highway noise.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
after 1 more rotation. I'm going to be needing my 3rd set of tires for my 2012,, and i'm just going with whatever's on sale at costco. a pilot apparently doesn't care what you put on it, you'll be lucky to get 40k miles out of them
Absolutely, I have bought 2 sets already for my '09 and I only have 75k on it. I'm about to get new tires from Costco since the Michelin's are on sale.

·
Registered
10 Posts

thanks in advance!
Depends if you tow a lot and if that’s done off road.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts