Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I apologize if this is not in the correct category. I am posting for the first time.
I have a 2011 Honda Pilot. I have had oil techs tell me about the bolt and oil pan threads the last few oil changes I have gotten. The last one I got they told me they would change the oil for me but they were worried they wouldn't be able to get bolt back through since the pan was stripped. Thankfully they were able to get it in but told me the next oil change it should be brought to a mechanic. My dad and a few others have told me just to have someone get a thread tap kit or whatever it's called. The place I last had it changed at were telling me to absolutely not allow anyone to do that to my pan. I was told to allow a mechanic just to change out the pan. So now I'm overdue for a change and am being quoted 400-500 for new pan and oil change. What are yalls thoughts on allowing someone to get one of those kits to re thread the pan? Is it worth it to get a kit at around 50 to 100 dollars and try that first? I do not have money to spend on something that may not work. Idk what to do. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
You might consider one of these instead of replacing the pan. Maybe use a little teflon tape when installing.

Reactions: Megs87

·
Registered
313 Posts
If money is tight I would try other options before I replaced the pan. I have had my share of stripped drain plugs. The most recent one I just replaced the pan and put in a Fumto valve like discussed in the post Nail Grease linked. In the past I have used an oversize plug but I prefer to tap it one size larger.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
The issue with trying to tap threads for an oversized plug is that the treads must be perfectly square. The plug sealing comes by the plug being tighten flush to the pan. An unsquare thread tap = drip.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Any mechanic worth a damn can re-tap that for you. This is not a big issue.
Most mechanics will want to sell you a new pan. There is risk with a re-tap. How can you judge ones mechanic skill based on a square/flush tap on an oil pan? I guess there's always gardening.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ages ago I when I replaced my drain plug with the fumoto valve, I think I remember thinking to myself how short the drain bolt is. I searched on youtube and there are some videos out there that show honda oil pan threads that go deeper than the length of the drain bolt. If yours is such, there's a good chance you have good threads deep in the hole and just need a longer bolt to catch them (and careful oil monkeys not to strip them).

That being said, I would try the fumoto replacement first. The washer it comes with has really good compression with very little torque unlike the OEM aluminum washer. I may get flamed for this but you can apply a little RTV silicone around where the valve (or valve extension) meets the pan in case any minor drips get by the stripped threads and just scrape/replace it every few years.

If you are in a rust state, an oil pan replacement can get expensive real quick when you can't get the exhaust out of the way due to rusted-shut bolts.

Good luck!

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Ages ago I when I replaced my drain plug with the fumoto valve, I think I remember thinking to myself how short the drain bolt is. I searched on youtube and there are some videos out there that show honda oil pan threads that go deeper than the length of the drain bolt. If yours is such, there's a good chance you have good threads deep in the hole and just need a longer bolt to catch them (and careful oil monkeys not to strip them).

That being said, I would try the fumoto replacement first. The washer it comes with has really good compression with very little torque unlike the OEM aluminum washer. I may get flamed for this but you can apply a little RTV silicone around where the valve (or valve extension) meets the pan in case any minor drips get by the stripped threads and just scrape/replace it every few years.

If you are in a rust state, an oil pan replacement can get expensive real quick when you can't get the exhaust out of the way due to rusted-shut bolts.

Good luck!
I think a little RTV is a good idea too.
Great post on the subject!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
On my 08 Pilot, I was told the same issue.
The ONE time they changed the oil for me while doing other bigger jobs.
I usually always change my own oil.

That being said:

They make a 1st and a 2nd oversize drain plug for the Pilot- available at major auto parts stores!

I bought the 1st over size before my last oil change. Had it ready,
didn't need it. The one I have still tightened up.
So, I'm keeping the first oversize plug ready for when I need it.

You don't always have to change the pan. There re helicoils, etc. too.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
767 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts