Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am needing to get new headlight assemblies for my wife's 2010 pilot. The ones on there are really faded and are blocking light at night. I tried one of those kits for making them clear again and it helped a little bit, but not enough they are bad.

How hard is it to replace the lense assembly? And also where is a good place or cheap place to order both passenger and drivers headlights? Thank you very much.

William.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You should try Pepboys. They do professional headlight restore under $50.
Not sure if in your area though.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you headlamp housings were that bad in the New Mexico sun maybe a more intense sanding is needed, aftermarket housings don't last as well in the sun as oem, in my personal experience and opinion, just trying so save you a few dollars but if you want new lights they aren't all that hard to change

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had this issue before & was successful with the headlight restoration kit, but it was a lot of work & I had to purchase extra materials and do many extra passes from what the kit recommended. The problem is that there is a UV coating on the lens that you also sand off. They will then deteriorate very quickly again. If you get them clear or purchase new, I would suggest something like this:

Headlight Covers, Headlight Film, Headlight Film Cover | Lamin-x.

I've used these and they stop the yellowing & haze from returning. You can also put them on a new headlight to extend its life. Not hard to apply with a hairdryer. If your getting new, I would apply befor I put on vehicle, just makes it a little easier. Also helps with stone chips as it's pretty thick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 Headlight Assembly Replacement

I own a 2010 EX-L.

I've attempted to use a restoration kit before (not on my Pilot) and was never 100% successful.

I thought about going somewhere to have the restoration done, but I really like to do things myself.

That being said, I decided to purchase replacement headlight assemblies. I DID NOT purchase genuine OEM replacements because it would have been around $500. I bought a set for around $225. I did notice the difference, but the replacements seemed very suitable.

I managed to replace both assemblies. That being said, it was a major PITA.

I am no mechanic, nor am I mechanically inclined. But, I usually can work out things. I don't even know what the some of the things I had to remove are called. It took me about 2 hours, solo, from start to finish.

Here's what I had to do:

1. Remove 2 snap plugs that secure the air intake.
2. Remove X snap plugs that secure the front dust cover (I don't recall how many).
3. Remove the 2 bolts that secure the grill on top.
4. Remove 2 bolts and 2 snap plugs that secure top of both headlights (1 set per headlight).
5. Remove 4 screws that secure bumper to inside of front fenders (2 per fender).
6. Remove 2 bolts that secure bumper under each corner.
7. Remove 9 snap plugs that secure bumper underneath.
8. Carefully pop bumper out of brackets (was nervous about doing this, but eventually the bumper came free).
9. Remove 4 bolts that secure bottom of both headlights (2 per headlight).
10. Remove 2 bolts for the bracket under headlight assembly and remove the bracket (I removed it for ease).
11. Remove headlight assembly and disconnect plugs from lamps and cable supports from headlight.
12. Remove lamps from old headlight and replace in new assembly.
13. Reverse all the steps.

Notes:

1. Test each light before replacing any brackets, bumpers, etc., just in case something is mis-wired.
2. Pay attention when replacing everything to unsure everything is in the proper brackets, plugs, guards, etc. for the headlight and bumper (I had to do this several times as I realized the bumper was not positioned properly).
3. Both headlamps will probably have to be re-aligned properly (I used my garage before I started, marked it with tape, then re-aligned after I was done).

In the end, next time, I'll take it somewhere to get headlight restoral.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2010 Headlight Assembly Replacement

I own a 2010 EX-L.

I've attempted to use a restoration kit before (not on my Pilot) and was never 100% successful.

I thought about going somewhere to have the restoration done, but I really like to do things myself.

That being said, I decided to purchase replacement headlight assemblies. I DID NOT purchase genuine OEM replacements because it would have been around $500. I bought a set for around $225. I did notice the difference, but the replacements seemed very suitable.

I managed to replace both assemblies. That being said, it was a major PITA.

I am no mechanic, nor am I mechanically inclined. But, I usually can work out things. I don't even know what the some of the things I had to remove are called. It took me about 2 hours, solo, from start to finish.

Here's what I had to do:

1. Remove 2 snap plugs that secure the air intake.
2. Remove X snap plugs that secure the front dust cover (I don't recall how many).
3. Remove the 2 bolts that secure the grill on top.
4. Remove 2 bolts and 2 snap plugs that secure top of both headlights (1 set per headlight).
5. Remove 4 screws that secure bumper to inside of front fenders (2 per fender).
6. Remove 2 bolts that secure bumper under each corner.
7. Remove 9 snap plugs that secure bumper underneath.
8. Carefully pop bumper out of brackets (was nervous about doing this, but eventually the bumper came free).
9. Remove 4 bolts that secure bottom of both headlights (2 per headlight).
10. Remove 2 bolts for the bracket under headlight assembly and remove the bracket (I removed it for ease).
11. Remove headlight assembly and disconnect plugs from lamps and cable supports from headlight.
12. Remove lamps from old headlight and replace in new assembly.
13. Reverse all the steps.

Notes:

1. Test each light before replacing any brackets, bumpers, etc., just in case something is mis-wired.
2. Pay attention when replacing everything to unsure everything is in the proper brackets, plugs, guards, etc. for the headlight and bumper (I had to do this several times as I realized the bumper was not positioned properly).
3. Both headlamps will probably have to be re-aligned properly (I used my garage before I started, marked it with tape, then re-aligned after I was done).

In the end, next time, I'll take it somewhere to get headlight restoral.

Resurrecting this as I just purchased a new set of headlights. Thanks for the guide! Im going to try to do write-up with pictures.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts