Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
After 3years(almost) and 59k kms, i need new rotors and pads at the front(measured at 2mm) and new rotors at the back.
I was looking at Rockauto and i divided between picking a front and rear set from : Centric and another from Powerstop:

The Powerstop brake set costs about $100 than the Centric.
Are they that much better, and less prone to warping like the OEM's?

Which ones would you pick?

(dealer wanted 1150+13% tax to install front rotor and pads and rear rotors)

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Hi everyone,
After 3years(almost) and 59k kms, i need new rotors and pads at the front(measured at 2mm) and new rotors at the back.
I was looking at Rockauto and i divided between picking a front and rear set from : Centric and another from Powerstop:

The Powerstop brake set costs about $100 than the Centric.
Are they that much better, and less prone to warping like the OEM's?

Which ones would you pick?

(dealer wanted 1150+13% tax to install front rotor and pads and rear rotors)
I chose Raybestos Element3 pads and rotors from RockAuto. Very quiet and smooth. Not as much dust sticking on my rims as before. I also like the coated rotor that prevents rust.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,871 Posts
On a side note, I have never had an issue with having a serviceable rotor resurfaced. Do you actually need new rotors or can they be resurfaced and you just put on pads? No use spending money on something that is not needed. In my neck of the woods O'Rileys charges $15 per rotor to resurface them. You cost may vary depending on your location.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, after what Honda did with the resurfacing of my Accord rear rotors...
Car was a year old and I complained about grinding in the rear.. That's how they look now. Car will be 2 yo in 2 months.
The vibration in the pilot is so bad the entire car shakes severely l and it is extremely Annoying.
I dont mind putting new rotors
I didn't see the raybestos in the rockauto page on either the pilot nor the ridgeline

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Honestly, after what Honda did with the resurfacing of my Accord rear rotors...
Car was a year old and I complained about grinding in the rear.. That's how they look now. Car will be 2 yo in 2 months.
The vibration in the pilot is so bad the entire car shakes severely l and it is extremely Annoying.
I dont mind putting new rotors
I didn't see the raybestos in the rockauto page on either the pilot nor the ridgeline

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
The Raybestos is not in a kit for that year model.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,871 Posts
Given that you make such a fuss about buying "performance" grade tires, why aren't you also buying "performance" grade brake rotors, such as the Raybestos R-300?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Given that you make such a fuss about buying "performance" grade tires, why aren't you also buying "performance" grade brake rotors, such as the Raybestos R-300?
I don't think a Pilot going 75mph on an interstate requires racing equipment. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Well and good until the driver ahead of you catches sight of a cop doing speed enforcement and decides to "throw out the anchor."
Well at that moment would you want to be on Toyo touring tires or High Performance Sumitomo HTR AS P02s?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Regardless of tires, I'd want to have performance brake rotors.
Compared to the old OE stuff I took off, I was pleased with the Element3 product line. I stop just fine. A press on the brake with an evasive maneuver on High Performance tires, even better.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Compared to the old OE stuff I took off, I was pleased with the Element3 product line. I stop just fine. A press on the brake with an evasive maneuver on High Performance tires, even better.
That assumes there is an unoccupied adjacent lane available for your evasive maneuver.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
After being dissatisfied with the Pilot's OEM brakes (as many Piloteers are), then trying a Rockauto "economy" brake kit and being disappointingly underwhelmed with those too, then discarding the idea of drilled and/or slotted rotors because their disadvantages outweigh their advantages unless you go out to the track every weekend, I got this kit:

More Information for CENTRIC 90640061

Get a kit for your model year, of course.

Third time's a charm, and though not the most expensive, they're not the cheapest either. What I can say is that they're worth every penny. Finally, the brakes this relatively heavy vehicle deserves and needs. It's been two years now and I'm still just as happy with them as when I first put them on. Feel safer, too.

For something like this that costs more than just a wiper blade, the Piloteers discount will add an extra 5% to your already smiling face.

5% Discount Code: 508F794D9D4F1F
Expires: August 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.
Oh, and forget about getting your rotors resurfaced. If they're that bad, it's better to just get good new ones.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
That assumes there is an unoccupied adjacent lane available for your evasive maneuver.
I'm not one to follow to closely. Thankfully, the roads we drive on are mostly obstacle free in the median, except for the occasional hog or deer. This is more the reason for some good High Performance tires to make an evasive maneuver when needed when one of these critters decides to dart out in front of you unexpectedly.
Driving school 101, don't get boxed in.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I'm not one to follow to closely. Thankfully, the roads we drive on are mostly obstacle free in the median, except for the occasional hog or deer. This is more the reason for some good High Performance tires to make an evasive maneuver when needed when one of these critters decides to dart out in front of you unexpectedly.
Driving school 101, don't get boxed in.
At one time, my commute involved about 40 miles of travel on a four-lane highway.
Rush-hour traffic was virtually bumper-to-bumper at about 65 mph.
If you tried to leave enough space in front of you, another driver would always sneak into it from the adjacent lane.
There was no place left to make any evasive maneuvers. You couldn't avoid being "boxed in".
Every few miles, at an exit/entrance ramp, the traffic would slow to 30-40 mph.
If there was a cop hiding along the side of the road doing speed enforcement, traffic would come to a virtual standstill.
Same thing if someone going in the opposite direction got pulled over.
You did learn to watch for the brakes lights on the cars farther up the road, not just on the one right in front of you.
Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Mitigation Braking System would have been a godsend back then.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
At one time, my commute involved about 40 miles of travel on a four-lane highway.
Rush-hour traffic was virtually bumper-to-bumper at about 65 mph.
If you tried to leave enough space in front of you, another driver would always sneak into it from the adjacent lane.
There was no place left to make any evasive maneuvers. You couldn't avoid being "boxed in".
Every few miles, at an exit/entrance ramp, the traffic would slow to 30-40 mph.
If there was a cop hiding along the side of the road doing speed enforcement, traffic would come to a virtual standstill.
Same thing if someone going in the opposite direction got pulled over.
You did learn to watch for the brakes lights on the cars farther up the road, not just on the one right in front of you.
Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Mitigation Braking System would have been a godsend back then.
I guess this Tesla driver that rear ended a fire truck needed performance brakes, Adaptive Cruise Control and a Collision Mitigation Braking System. 😯

1 - 20 of 34 Posts