Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, great forums!

I am considering buying a Pilot. My needs are that I want to be able to carry an ocean kayak on the top, and the more important thing, to be able to carry a racing shifter kart inside the back. My present vehicles are a Lexus RX-300 and an Odyssey which are nice in many ways, but the back is not big enough to carry a kart.

The kart needs to wheel in. The distance is 51" wide across the rear tires. So imagine a rectangle that is 51" wide and about 8" high. Can it fit in the opening?

I have the brochure and checked the website, but no data is shown for that. I understand you can fit a 48"w board in there, but what about 51"???

Thanks if you can help me out.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Nope

If you could fit somthing 51" wide they would be bragging about it.
The distance between the sides at the third seat is about 49"
The door may be a bit wider, but not much.
Sounds like you need a pickup or full size van.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I already have a small trailer that the kart lives on, but I want to carry one inside. The speed limit for a trailer pulling vehicle is 55mph in California and the speeding tickets are double fines. Plus my trailer is open and that leaves the kart unprotected from weather and thieves.

Anyway, I am surprised. The Pilot seems wider than that. I read it was 48" between the wheel wells, so it would seem that above the wheel wells would be much more, no?

To be clearer, the only part of the kart that is 51" is the rear wheels. If you roll the kart in front first, the rear wheels only would occupy the rear most area, and I could make small ramps to elevate the kart inside if that would help. The majority of the rest of the kart is 48" or so.

I have one other option, and that is to remove the rear wheels and replace them with skinny dummy wheels for transport.

http://www.t2racekarts.com/gallery/tmarckart.JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last gasp of hope....

Anyone mind taking a tape measure and and determining what the opening width is? Please? That way I can tell if the kart can make it through the opening, and if not, what I would have to remove on the kart to make it possible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I can't do it tonight, but if no one else does by tomorrow, I'll do it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
For Randyc...

I just measured the inside width dimensions of the Pilot:

- the maximum width BETWEEN the wheel wells is approx 49"

- the maximum width BEHIND the wheel wells is approx 58"

- the maximum width of the rear door opening is approx 49.5"

(the lowest area of the door opening is the widest point, up to about 12" high, at which point the opening begins to narrow as the height increases)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
176 Posts
If your cart is like most I've seen...

I think you can squeeze the thing in by taking advantage of the "diagonal" width of the Pilot's cargo area. You'd need to build a ramp/risers to elevate one side about 6-8" which ought to get you the 51" you need, it might look a little goofy, but short of getting a pick-up that may be your best hope...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Perfect info. Thank you very much. It may or may not work, but at least now I can do some measurements of the kart and make an informed decision.

Best regards!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts