Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've been hearing these 2 sounds for awhile now. Mechanic is closed, but they could never find the problem and resolve it. 2007 pilot with 174,000 miles.

1. I make a left turn and I hear a metal sound coming from the front. Sounds like the wheel area. It sounds like somebody lightly tapping on a metal symbol. It only happens when I make a sharp left turn.

2. Other sound which has been going on for YEARS with no help from my mechanic. I brake at low speeds to a rolling stop, not a sharp stop and I hear a whirring/circular sound. It also happens after I have been on a LONG trip(2 hours) and everything is hot on the car. I have replaced my brakes twice and the rotors. I hear it when coming off a highway ramp too.

TIA

·
Registered
957 Posts
1. Sounds like a worn CV joint. Inspect the outboard joint on that side for a torn boot and leaking grease. If the boot has failed, you need to plan to replace that axle.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
Hi I've been hearing these 2 sounds for awhile now. Mechanic is closed, but they could never find the problem and resolve it. 2007 pilot with 174,000 miles.

1. I make a left turn and I hear a metal sound coming from the front. Sounds like the wheel area. It sounds like somebody lightly tapping on a metal symbol. It only happens when I make a sharp left turn.
First guess, CV joint.

2. Other sound which has been going on for YEARS with no help from my mechanic. I brake at low speeds to a rolling stop, not a sharp stop and I hear a whirring/circular sound. It also happens after I have been on a LONG trip(2 hours) and everything is hot on the car. I have replaced my brakes twice and the rotors. I hear it when coming off a highway ramp too.

TIA
If you mean a whooshing sound then it could be just a rusting back plate. The backing plate is to shield the brake rotor from the elements.

Keep in mind that not all brake pads are the same and different brake pads can produce different noises. Since it is in the breaks you definitely need to have the issued identified. It may or may not need addressing, but it should be understood so a safe decision can be made.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts
But first check the brakes' dust shield in case they're slightly bent, rusted or there's a little pebble or something stuck in there.

At least it's a cheap and easy thing to check first. But it's probably what @STMech says.

Edit: Great minds think alike and sometimes simultaneously, since @Daltongang posted while I was typing. :) Them's the breaks.:) Or is it brakes? :)

Since it is in the breaks you definitely need to have the issued identified

1 - 4 of 4 Posts