Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and I need your help with my 2018 Pilot with 11K mileage.

I've been having annoying chirping problem for about a year now.
Last year, it was on and off and barely audible. But by Dec, it was louder and audible all the time.
When I first asked Honda to fix it, Honda being Honda, told me that they couldn't hear it.
After a longer test drive together, they admitted to the sound and replaced rear and mission mount.
It was quiet for 3 days and it came back even louder.
So they changed the rear mount with a new one again and "added" a padding to mission mount.
It was quiet for 2 days and it came back with a vengeance.
As of today chirping is still there, although it's on 80% off 20%.
However, I've got a new symptom. Chirping increases in frequency/pitch when I step on the gas.

I'm scheduled for side and front mount replacement next week and I want to know all my options if it fails.
I've searched the forum and 3 most suggested solutions were;
1. mounts
2. fuel injector
3. heat shield

So far 2 of 4 mounts replaced = chirping.
Heat shield checked and found nothing.
Fuel injector not checked.

I would appreciate any help pointing me to the cause/solution I might have missed.
Could it be caused by VCM my search results show on the side? or maybe the timing belt tensioner issue??
I really want to fix this as the noise is driving me nuts!
Thank you.

<iframe width="1115" height="627" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Sounds like it could be injector noise or fuel pump chirping. If you take the plastic cover off the engine it would be more noticeable if it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like it could be injector noise or fuel pump chirping. If you take the plastic cover off the engine it would be more noticeable if it is.
Thank you! I'll talk to the dealer about it. Although I'm curious as to how the noise stops for few days after mount replacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh lord, good luck. This is a tough one. I've had that infamous "chirping" noise twice on my '16 Pilot in the last 12 months. And it sounded identical to the beginning sounds in your video, but I could only hear it when the car idled while stopped. Not while driving. Once it was due to the fuel pump cause Daltongang mentioned, and once due to a front active motor mount failure. In each case my Pilot frustratingly exhibited the same exact noise and symptoms, but had two entirely different parts fail. To make matters worse my local dealer played dumb (or was stunningly incompetent) and claimed the noise was normal engine noise and refused to do the repair even when I handed him a copy of the TSB. And at the time it was under warranty. I ended up taking the vehicle to a different Honda dealer 60 miles away who correctly diagnosed and repaired the problem each time. So far the problems have not reoccurred. I'm no mechanic, but I do not think the fuel pump chirp is related to Honda's VCM design. Motor mount failures probably are. I have since installed a VCM disabler. While I am hopeful it will prevent further VCM engine related issues, I also have a lingering doubt that I will create other unintended problems down the road by installing an aftermarket gizmo to trick Honda's engine into behaving differently. I don't mean to hijack your post with that last comment, only mean to express how complicated a Honda engine problem like this can turn out to be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh lord, good luck. This is a tough one. I've had that infamous "chirping" noise twice on my '16 Pilot in the last 12 months. And it sounded identical to the beginning sounds in your video, but I could only hear it when the car idled while stopped. Not while driving. Once it was due to the fuel pump cause Daltongang mentioned, and once due to a front active motor mount failure. In each case my Pilot frustratingly exhibited the same exact noise and symptoms, but had two entirely different parts fail. To make matters worse my local dealer played dumb (or was stunningly incompetent) and claimed the noise was normal engine noise and refused to do the repair even when I handed him a copy of the TSB. And at the time it was under warranty. I ended up taking the vehicle to a different Honda dealer 60 miles away who correctly diagnosed and repaired the problem each time. So far the problems have not reoccurred. I'm no mechanic, but I do not think the fuel pump chirp is related to Honda's VCM design. Motor mount failures probably are. I have since installed a VCM disabler. While I am hopeful it will prevent further VCM engine related issues, I also have a lingering doubt that I will create other unintended problems down the road by installing an aftermarket gizmo to trick Honda's engine into behaving differently. I don't mean to hijack your post with that last comment, only mean to express how complicated a Honda engine problem like this can turn out to be.
I actually read your posts prior to writing mine. My noise started with slight chirping during D position stops. If I shift to N or P, the noise would go away. Then in Dec, it was full time no matter what. I hope I can fix the problem as it's really annoying. One thing I failed to do was to check whether the two old mounts had faults. I'm also seriously thinking about installing a VCM disabler. Was there any noticeable decrease in engine vibration?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I actually read your posts prior to writing mine. My noise started with slight chirping during D position stops. If I shift to N or P, the noise would go away. Then in Dec, it was full time no matter what. I hope I can fix the problem as it's really annoying. One thing I failed to do was to check whether the two old mounts had faults. I'm also seriously thinking about installing a VCM disabler. Was there any noticeable decrease in engine vibration?
Based on this, my "woman's intuition" tells me you might have a motor mount issue, not a fuel pump issue. But as I said, I'm no mechanic.

I can tell no difference in engine vibration with a VCM disabler. But then I also could not sense any engine vibration before installing one either. My Pilot was always quiet and smooth. It still is ... for now. The only difference with my VCM disabler installed that I've noticed is a slightly lower reading on the dash temp gauge, poorer mpg, and slightly higher rpm's at sustained highway speeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Based on this, my "woman's intuition" tells me you might have a motor mount issue, not a fuel pump issue. But as I said, I'm no mechanic.

I can tell no difference in engine vibration with a VCM disabler. But then I also could not sense any engine vibration before installing one either. My Pilot was always quiet and smooth. It still is ... for now. The only difference with my VCM disabler installed that I've noticed is a slightly lower reading on the dash temp gauge, poorer mpg, and slightly higher rpm's at sustained highway speeds.
Thank you. I really appreciate your feed back :)

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
246 Posts
I just had this on my 2018 with 23k miles and it turned out to be the serpentine belt. They replaced it under warranty and I haven't heard the noise since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just had this on my 2018 with 23k miles and it turned out to be the serpentine belt. They replaced it under warranty and I haven't heard the noise since.
Thank you. I'll ask them to check the belt next week. BTW, was your chirping similar or same from inside the car?

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a rare chirping noise that comes from the timing belt tensioner. I have seen one where honda wanted us to inspect the clearance and grind off a hair from the casting. I believe there was a service news on this. Judging by the noise moving with the rpm this is my thought.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
246 Posts
Thank you. I'll ask them to check the belt next week. BTW, was your chirping similar or same from inside the car?
Yes it was but the weird thing is that it would only chirp when it was cold. Once warmed up it went away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
There is a rare chirping noise that comes from the timing belt tensioner. I have seen one where honda wanted us to inspect the clearance and grind off a hair from the casting. I believe there was a service news on this. Judging by the noise moving with the rpm this is my thought.
I'll be going in for service this Thurs. I keep hearing this knocking noise in the engine room and was thinking it might be the timing belt tensioner. I'll mention this to them. Thank you.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'll be going in for service this Thurs. I keep hearing this knocking noise in the engine room and was thinking it might be the timing belt tensioner. I'll mention this to them. Thank you.
I hear a knocking noise when accelerating from a stop. Is this what's happening to you too? We may have different things going on with the car though because I don't have a chirp in my car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,
I'm new to the forum and I need your help with my 2018 Pilot with 11K mileage.

I've been having annoying chirping problem for about a year now.
Last year, it was on and off and barely audible. But by Dec, it was louder and audible all the time.
When I first asked Honda to fix it, Honda being Honda, told me that they couldn't hear it.
After a longer test drive together, they admitted to the sound and replaced rear and mission mount.
It was quiet for 3 days and it came back even louder.
So they changed the rear mount with a new one again and "added" a padding to mission mount.
It was quiet for 2 days and it came back with a vengeance.
As of today chirping is still there, although it's on 80% off 20%.
However, I've got a new symptom. Chirping increases in frequency/pitch when I step on the gas.

I'm scheduled for side and front mount replacement next week and I want to know all my options if it fails.
I've searched the forum and 3 most suggested solutions were;
1. mounts
2. fuel injector
3. heat shield

So far 2 of 4 mounts replaced = chirping.
Heat shield checked and found nothing.
Fuel injector not checked.

I would appreciate any help pointing me to the cause/solution I might have missed.
Could it be caused by VCM my search results show on the side? or maybe the timing belt tensioner issue??
I really want to fix this as the noise is driving me nuts!
Thank you.

<iframe width="1115" height="627" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I have the same sound. It’s the fuel injectors. Luckily I have an insider at Honda and he tells me that it is the fuel injector noise and it won’t harm anything. Keep an eye on it though. If it gets worse you’ll have to change the injectors. Make sure that the dealership has the history of the problem. Call Honda in your Country and complain too. If it does escalate and you need the injectors replaced they may cover it after the warranty is done. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the same sound. It’s the fuel injectors. Luckily I have an insider at Honda and he tells me that it is the fuel injector noise and it won’t harm anything. Keep an eye on it though. If it gets worse you’ll have to change the injectors. Make sure that the dealership has the history of the problem. Call Honda in your Country and complain too. If it does escalate and you need the injectors replaced they may cover it after the warranty is done. Good luck.
Thank you for the input. Car has gone in for service. I've asked them to check for timing belt tensioner and fuel injector on top of mounts. I just hope it gets fixed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts