Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tailgate started to make this weird noise yesterday. It sounds like an AA battery rolls inside the hatch when open/close. Upon close look at the latch, I saw a loose bolt thru the gap. Removed it with a metal wire and needle head pliers.

So, my question to you, Pilot gurus, what the heck is this bolt for? Does this bolt have anything to do with the latch and lock? I often carry my dog in the back. It will be a disaster if the tailgate blow open on freeway.

BTW, no accident / no bodywork / no mods. All is stock.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Remove the plastic liner on the tailgate and locate where the bolt came from..

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
What year is your Pilot? Are you still in warranty? If so, please lay this on your dealer.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remove the plastic liner on the tailgate and locate where the bolt came from..
I've been thinking the same. Any chance you have instructions? I couldn't find any Youtube video.

What year is your Pilot? Are you still in warranty? If so, please lay this on your dealer.
It's still under warranty. I really want to avoid going to the dealer unless absolutely necessary. Since it's not affecting hatch operation / no code / no noise, there is a good chance they will just throw away the bolt and say all fixed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My tailgate started to make this weird noise yesterday. It sounds like an AA battery rolls inside the hatch when open/close. Upon close look at the latch, I saw a loose bolt thru the gap. Removed it with a metal wire and needle head pliers.

So, my question to you, Pilot gurus, what the heck is this bolt for? Does this bolt have anything to do with the latch and lock? I often carry my dog in the back. It will be a disaster if the tailgate blow open on freeway.

View attachment 151207

View attachment 151208

View attachment 151209

Looks like this bolt? Click through the pics and you can see where it goes on the tailgate latch.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I've been thinking the same. Any chance you have instructions? I couldn't find any Youtube video.

It's still under warranty. I really want to avoid going to the dealer unless absolutely necessary. Since it's not affecting hatch operation / no code / no noise, there is a good chance they will just throw away the bolt and say all fixed.
I recommend going to the dealer for two reasons: First, I have no idea where this loose bolt came from. Secondly, if the loose bolt is actually important, a dealer tech is more likely to know. By bringing in your Pilot under warranty, you will create a paper trail that will document the issue, and if your hatch falls off later on, you should have recourse from Honda.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great points by STMECH. Dealer if you can't determine a definite location and can reinstall the bolt.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
It’s one of the three bolts that secures the tailgate portion of the door latch to the tailgate.

To reinstall and tighten the other two, you need to partially loosen the tailgate trim,l. They position the latch correctly to lock properly. A second pair of hands is helpful to hold the trim back while you tighten the bolts.

BTDT. It happened on my 05. Nice to know someheritage features continue.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like this bolt? Click through the pics and you can see where it goes on the tailgate latch.

Thank you. I'll check and report back to the forum. My kid took the Pilot out of town. Back in few days.

I recommend going to the dealer for two reasons: First, I have no idea where this loose bolt came from. Secondly, if the loose bolt is actually important, a dealer tech is more likely to know. By bringing in your Pilot under warranty, you will create a paper trail that will document the issue, and if your hatch falls off later on, you should have recourse from Honda.
Good point. I didn't think of that. Thanks.

It’s one of the three bolts that secures the tailgate portion of the door latch to the tailgate.

To reinstall and tighten the other two, you need to partially loosen the tailgate trim,l. They position the latch correctly to lock properly. A second pair of hands is helpful to hold the trim back while you tighten the bolts.

BTDT. It happened on my 05. Nice to know someheritage features continue.
Did you also find a loose hatch bolt out of the blue? That bolt looks like strong enough to secure something heavy. Bolts like that must be torqued SUPER tightly to the metal (frame?). My Pilot has less than 10k miles. No off road. All smooth highway/city pavements. I just don't see any reason how/why a bolt like this got shook loose.

Somehow I suspect the workers at assembly line accidentally dropped this bolt into the tailgate.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
What I experienced was a hatch that refused to lock and when it did, refuse to unlock as the lock went out of alignment’. I could hear something loose inside the tailgate. Once open, I could easily make the latch move and hear a bolt inside the tailgate.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
577 Posts

Based on the conversation this is correct however im sure a decent portion of dealers will be like.....

Yeah, yeah we fixed it. It was for the flux capacitor. Won't be a worry....

Then 3 months later your lift gate falls off.

·
Registered
2 Posts

View attachment 151207

View attachment 151208

View attachment 151209

View attachment 151207

View attachment 151208

View attachment 151209
weird. I found the exact same bolt/screw under my 19 Pilot on the garage floor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Based on the conversation this is correct however im sure a decent portion of dealers will be like.....

Yeah, yeah we fixed it. It was for the flux capacitor. Won't be a worry....

Then 3 months later your lift gate falls off.
Thanx to capt pilot and all who responded. I found exactsame bolt yesterday in the latch cavity area. So I pulled back the plastic, found the hole it goes to and reinstalled it. Torx 30 on a small ratchet, and some sneakers (no third hand available)to hold out the inner plastic and we are done. So it looks like it is becoming a common thing on the assembly line. Hard to figure as the inner plastic cover I assume is installed after the hatch locking assembly?? Anyway just wanted to thank all that replied as I knew what is was and how to fix.
Thanx,
AH

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The stray bolt is back home. It's 1 of the 3 bolts to secure the latch. If one can come loose who knows when #2 and #3 will pop out. May be a good idea to open up the trim to verify all 3 bolts are tight.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’m interested to see if anyone knows why only 3 bolts? It looks like a fourth could be added, and might help with the latch staying in place.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts