Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody gone to a mover that transports cars? we're re-locating to the east coast and we've got a civic and a pilot. i just don't want to drive for 2500 miles straight having my wife drive her civic and i drive the pilot. i was thinking of getting the towing package and just tow the civic. but it still won't do me any good coz i hate long driving. have called several movers and the price is just around $900 a car. does anybody know any cheaper ones?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Cross country in a Pilot, that's what this thing was made for! I'd drive it in a heartbeat, of course I already live out East.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Have you looked into Amtrak or another rail service? :8:

·
Registered
12 Posts
auto transport

That sounds about right. I sent my Land Rover to Florida after I got my Pilot. One thing you have to make sure is that they cover any damage that the movers may cause without deductible. Mine was damaged as it was being strapped to the carrier. The driver said he was going to take care of it but never did.When it got to Florida we filed a claim but rejected it because they have a $500 deductible. So don't always decide on the cheapest mover.
Good Luck.:confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Drive it!

I have driven cross counrty several times.
Never had a problem.

I have had several friends ship cars.
Issues have arrisen about 1/2 the time, sometimes minor, sometimes major.

Another good reason to drive is you can take the few things you do not want the movers to touch with you personally.

Best luck on the relocation. Its not a job, its an adventure!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've never towed anything before

and i'm thinking of those 2 wheeled trailer that raises the front wheels. i don't even know if it's hard or what...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The only time I've towed a car, it was 800 miles behind a moving van. I used a full length trailer which got all four wheels of the car off the ground.

The two wheel trailers are cheaper to rent and are probably fine for short distances or smooth roads, but for longer hauls you have to worry about the back end of the car dragging and bouncing down the highway. It seemed too risky for such a long drive when I knew some of the highway had construction zones.

I also liked the fact that if I was rear-ended, they'd probably hit the
trailer instead of the car (more protected all around).

http://www.uhaul.com/towing/

·
Registered
138 Posts
theman said:
anybody gone to a mover that transports cars? we're re-locating to the east coast and we've got a civic and a pilot. i just don't want to drive for 2500 miles straight having my wife drive her civic and i drive the pilot. i was thinking of getting the towing package and just tow the civic. but it still won't do me any good coz i hate long driving. have called several movers and the price is just around $900 a car. does anybody know any cheaper ones?
Don't pass up this excellent opportunity for driving crosscountry .... I would do it, but I live in the East coast too ... Too bad for me ! :mad:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: i've never towed anything before

Back in '86 took my '83 Honda Civic from MD to CA on a dolly behind a U-Haul.
No problem at all, I think they bounce less than a car on a trailer. The center of gravety is lower and so is the total weight.

theman said:
and i'm thinking of those 2 wheeled trailer that raises the front wheels. i don't even know if it's hard or what...

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: i've never towed anything before

N_Jay said:
Back in '86 took my '83 Honda Civic from MD to CA on a dolly behind a U-Haul.
No problem at all, I think they bounce less than a car on a trailer. The center of gravety is lower and so is the total weight.

I drove 680 miles from TN to MD towing a vehicle on a trailer -- for me, I didn't like the idea of my wheels/tires being dragged on the road, so I opted to put the car on a trailer:

Attachments

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Guess both work

Or U-Haul and Ryder would have stopped renting them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts