Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 EX-L Navi, 218kmi

Looking for some guidance to help me diagnose a pretty substantial decline in fuel efficiency. Car is my daily driver to work and the weekend errands - no over the road stuff. Last year was consistently getting fuel economies in the high 15's to low 16's mpg. This year I'm in the high 13's to low 14's - one tankful I was under 13 (12.7).

Sometimes i get a barely discernible odor of fuel when i just start the car up. The smell is not as strong as the one I noticed when I had a fuel tank leaking on my F-150 years ago, plus I don't have any spots on my driveway that would tell me I have a leak.

I am thinking about replacing the fuel injectors, but at almost $400 in parts, I'd rather not replace parts simply on a hunch. I have on ODBII reader (BlueDriver) that I've only used it for reading and clearing CE codes, but it seems to have a lot more capabilities than that. Would like to use it to record some engine and/or fuel system data while driving to see if there are any parameters that are 'off' and that would indicate one problem over another. Is it capable of doing such a thing? What should I be reviewing? Thanks.

Pete

·
Registered
570 Posts
Definitely read the codes, even if you have to drive to your local parts store to get them to do it for you.

However, at your mileage the "usual suspects" will be plugs, intake manifold and EGR carbon, and PCV / EGR valve carbon. When you pull the plugs to have a look, pooling oil on the coils may also point to leaky valve cover gaskets. It's also worth checking your plastic intake ductwork to make sure there are no big cracks.

All of these are easy driveway fixes, and have been discussed frequently on the forum.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
...and start with the easiest first:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts