Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 2004 EX-L that is need of a new transmission. I've been searching around and the prices on these remans have ranged from 2k-3.3k. For example Jasper quoted $3308 + core for their reman but I found this one (link below) along with others like it for 2k. Is there any special reason Jasper wants $1300 more than others or am I just paying for a name with them?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,691 Posts
From what I hear, Jasper is really good quality. So I guess that’s why you’re paying a premium.

just a reminder, your Pilot with a working transmission is worth about $3,000. If you put the money in for a reman transmission and the car gets totaled the next day, you will get whatever the value of the car is. They won’t add value because you just spent $3-4K on a transmission. Depending on how long you intend to keep the car, you may want to put the cheapest transmission you possibly can in and buy a warranty on it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I had to have mine replaced during a long road trip, so I was at the mercy of the shop, to a certain extent.

That being said, the shop was great, and they knew Honda transmissions. They only use H&A for 5-speeds. There's a warranty, and being in a small market, I'm sure these guys can't afford bad customer experiences.

I don't know if you can buy H&A retail. I doubt it, but I spent $4,500 out the door with a 3-year warranty and a new transmission cooler to boot.

As Jack Vogt noted, run the numbers on the job before diving in. I rolled the dice and hope to get 75k miles from the replacement to get my money's worth.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I picked the truck up almost 2yrs ago for $500. I figure with the investment already made and what I paid for it a new transmission is worth it. No way am I paying 3k for one without install though.
This is what I've done so far -

• power steering pump
  • all belts and pullies
  • timing belt and water pump
  • flex pipe
  • shocks, struts, and coils
  • front/rear stabilizer links
  • I have head gasket, valve gasket kit rdy to be installed
  • 31" tires that have at least another yr left in them

Does that one in ebay link seem worth a shot or would you steer away from it?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,860 Posts
31" tires
I'm not sure that would be the best for any transmission on a PIlot.

Ozmotive seems to have very good reviews from a reasonably sizable large number of reviewers both on Yelp and Google in addition to on eBay itself, FWIW.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure that would be the best for any transmission on a PIlot.

Ozmotive seems to have very good reviews from a reasonably sizable large number of reviewers both on Yelp and Google in addition to on eBay itself, FWIW.

Thank you for helping take a look!.... Ya know, I hear that but it doesn't seem like it takes the truck anymore effort to push these than the smaller all season tires.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
383 Posts
Thank you for helping take a look!.... Ya know, I hear that but it doesn't seem like it takes the truck anymore effort to push these than the smaller all season tires.
maybe you don’t notice any extra transmission Effort. But I’m sure it eats up your brakes on hard stops, not to mention stresses the hell out of your rack and pinion, power steering pump and lines, ball joints, tie rods, and wheel bearings. Pretty much everything front end related lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got drilled and slotted rotors w/ power stop pads, love them! While your probably right about the rest, I do a lot of beach driving so the added height helps a bunch. Without them I was dropping rocks and pebbles down the highway lol.

·
Registered
231 Posts
THE EBAY TRANSMISSION PRICE IS PLUS $800.00.....$250.00 SHIPPING EACH WAY AND THE $300.00 CORE.....

YOU WILL GET $300.00 OF THE $800.00 BACK IF THEY DEEM THE CORE USABLE.....

SO.....$1,395.00 IS ACTUALLY GOING TO BE $1,895.00 AT THE END OF THE DAY.....YOU MAY BE ABLE TO GET ONE LOCALLY FOR THAT PRICE.....

I NEED ONE FOR MY PILOT.....SO.....PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GO WITH AND HOW IT TURNS OUT.....

THANKS.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.