Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2016 has a passenger front strut leaking (pretty bad). No one seems to manufacture an aftermarket option from what I can find. My dealer wants a pretty penny for them, and if I find a good deal from a dealer online, they are brutal with shipping. Has anyone found a better option? $500 seems a bit steep for two front struts, no labor. Just over 5 years and right at 60k miles so I'm not upset a strut went out, I am pretty annoyed at the cost for the replacement parts from Honda and lack of aftermarket.

Update: Changed both front struts. I have to say of all the struts I have done, these weren't hard, but Honda managed to make it more annoying than other designs as far as removing them from the vehicle. 5yrs and 60k miles, Pass. side strut was blown out/leaking at the seal and had little to no resistance. The Driver side had no leaks, but had very little resistance and also easy to compress.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Aftermarket parts appear when the manufacturers see enough possible sales volume to merit their setting up an assembly line. Until then, we are at the mercy of the oem supplier who has a monopoly on the part.
In some special cases, a patent could enforce the monopoly for years.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might anyone have the service manual procedure for doing front struts, and also parking brake adjustment?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have not tried to research your questions, so this is my off the cuff response: Front strut replacement should be basically the same from 2003 to today. Try to google a YouTube video on the job, should give you the story. And, as far as I know, the parking brake is self adjusting. If that's not working, then you are looking at replacing worn or rusted parts.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Might anyone have the service manual procedure for doing front struts, and also parking brake adjustment?
Here is some strut info, have nothing on parking brake adjustments.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got them through Bernardi, thx. My local dealership should be embarrassed for their price and the "but it's OEM Honda quality" line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts