Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Pilot engine dead broken block. Car-Part.com shows only 2009-2011 fit... The 2012-2015 are the same engine number, wondering if there is parts that can be changed to make a newer motor work. For example intake manifold swap. Anyone know the actual difference?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I can't confirm this, but the 2012-2015 is just the facelifted 2nd gen Pilot. The engine makes the same HP and TQ and didn't introduce any new technologies like direct injection. I would assume if anything it should have updated internals as parts get updated over time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
2009 Pilot engine dead broken block. Car-Part.com shows only 2009-2011 fit... The 2012-2015 are the same engine number, wondering if there is parts that can be changed to make a newer motor work. For example intake manifold swap. Anyone know the actual difference?
I did an engine swap on my 2010 Honda pilot using a 2012 I believe. I didn't notice any difference, but I did use all the components like intake and exhaust manifold from the old engine just in case. Just as long as its a J35Z4 you're good to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did an engine swap on my 2010 Honda pilot using a 2012 I believe. I didn't notice any difference, but I did use all the components like intake and exhaust manifold from the old engine just in case. Just as long as its a J35Z4 you're good to go.
That is what I was hoping for... Sometimes they make minor changes like slight cam profile changes each year. They run fine in the other cars. Other times they change the cranksshafts so the sensors will not work unless you swap major parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had to replace the engine on my 2009 honda pilot
i installed a J35Z8 from a 2011 honda odyssey, cost half the J35Z4 and it is identical

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i installed a J35Z8 from a 2011 honda odyssey, cost half the J35Z4 and it is identical
The FWD engine and the AWD are supposed to be different in some way, but I would't think it would be major. If the Odyssey engine works, I would think the FWD would likely work also. Was your Pilot AWD that you installed the Odyssey engine in? Did you reuse intake manifold and other components off the Odyssey... Anything different I must change?

My dad owns a small salvage yard, and can buy wrecked cars. The Odyssey is often much cheaper like you say, along with the FWD Pilot. I live in Utah, and with all of the mountains and snow we get sometimes it is hard to give away a FWD SUV making them much cheaper at the auctions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The FWD engine and the AWD are supposed to be different in some way, but I would't think it would be major. If the Odyssey engine works, I would think the FWD would likely work also. Was your Pilot AWD that you installed the Odyssey engine in? Did you reuse intake manifold and other components off the Odyssey... Anything different I must change?

My dad owns a small salvage yard, and can buy wrecked cars. The Odyssey is often much cheaper like you say, along with the FWD Pilot. I live in Utah, and with all of the mountains and snow we get sometimes it is hard to give away a FWD SUV making them much cheaper at the auctions.
I installed a AWD engine into my FWD pilot, I didn't have any issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bidding on on wrecked Honda Pilots thank you for all of the information provided you have expanded my searches.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It will be the little things that catch you out on different models, trim levels and/or years. A lack of a certain sensor or plug on the harness. As long as you've got your original engine, at least you know you'll be able to swap certain items as needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed a 2012 2wd engine in my 2009 AWD pilot. There were some differences, but all external. Catalytic converters, intake, wiring, belt tensioner(I liked the 2012 better and reused it) are different. Runs and drives perfectly. I think we could have used the intake manifold only difference I noticed was they moved a vacuum hose. Vales were easy to adjust ouside of the car, and same with new water pump and timing belt kit. Just in case anyone come across this looking for engine options it worked just like the previous posters have said.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
If I could not confirm the interchange, I would not buy. The job is already hard enough as it is. Don't just rely on one source. Tripple confirm.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Also, I saw a video where someone installed a used V6 only to find out later the block was cracked near the water pump. Likely cause by the force of the accident and the passenger side motor mount.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good point, mine was in a wreck and had the block cracked, and that is why I was changing it. Warning to anyone buying motors out of wrecked Pilots, check the mount by the water-pump. I posted on a few forums and found the 2wd and 4wd were the same by other who had tried it. And the 2009-2011 vs 2012-2015 are only minor differences. They are interchangeable, but sticking with the correct year will save you time, and this was one of the hardest engines I have ever changed. Be prepared for a few weekends of work unless you have a lift and the valves are already adjusted and timing belt kit is already installed. It is rated at 16 hours for the engine swap, and if you are not a professional mechanic you won't come anywhere near that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, would greatly appreciate some solid advice here, apologies for ignorant statements below I am a self-taught home mechanic:

Background: I have a 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L that I am considering changing out the engine block as I just rebuilt the heads, replaced water pump, oil pump, camshafts, timing belt, etc, a few months ago but unfortunately a valve adjusting nut on one valve came off and caused cylinder 2 & 5 to break up (front and back heads, seem fine). I presently have top part of engine off, as well as oil pan and exhaust and trying to unlock the crankshaft as it has broken 2 & 5 cylinder pieces locking it up. I don't have a lift and I am working out of garage with jack stands, and can't afford a full new engine.

Questions:
1. Can I remove the rest of the engine block without taking out transmission with it? 1a. Do I need to unlock the crankshaft to do so or can I do it without unlocking the crankshaft?
2. If yes, can I do so without pulling out the radiator and front grill, like I've seen in some youtube videos?
3. If I remove AC and rest of stuff from engine block can I get it out through bottom or do i have to lift it out through the top?
4. Any other advice for replacing an engine piecemeal like this is appreciated. I have the time and tenacity, just not the cash:)

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Hello, would greatly appreciate some solid advice here, apologies for ignorant statements below I am a self-taught home mechanic:

Background: I have a 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L that I am considering changing out the engine block as I just rebuilt the heads, replaced water pump, oil pump, camshafts, timing belt, etc, a few months ago but unfortunately a valve adjusting nut on one valve came off and caused cylinder 2 & 5 to break up (front and back heads, seem fine). I presently have top part of engine off, as well as oil pan and exhaust and trying to unlock the crankshaft as it has broken 2 & 5 cylinder pieces locking it up. I don't have a lift and I am working out of garage with jack stands, and can't afford a full new engine.

Questions:
1. Can I remove the rest of the engine block without taking out transmission with it? 1a. Do I need to unlock the crankshaft to do so or can I do it without unlocking the crankshaft?
2. If yes, can I do so without pulling out the radiator and front grill, like I've seen in some youtube videos?
3. If I remove AC and rest of stuff from engine block can I get it out through bottom or do i have to lift it out through the top?
4. Any other advice for replacing an engine piecemeal like this is appreciated. I have the time and tenacity, just not the cash:)
You will have to unlock the crankshaft to unbolt the engine from the transmission.
This shows a worse case of what you could expect.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Engine for my 2009 just arrived and it’s a z8 (vs z4). Before going further and contacting the seller- you said the z8 worked- can you elaborate? Did you use the z8 ecm or just pretended it was a z4 and ran with it? Any long term effects? Also, my engine is complete- reluctant to just change stuff out for fun... what did you need to swap?
Thanks
-Matt

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Engine for my 2009 just arrived and it’s a z8 (vs z4). Before going further and contacting the seller- you said the z8 worked- can you elaborate? Did you use the z8 ecm or just pretended it was a z4 and ran with it? Any long term effects? Also, my engine is complete- reluctant to just change stuff out for fun... what did you need to swap?
Thanks
-Matt
I don't know of any AWD Honda Odysseys. Your wiring harness will not match with your replacement engine.
"IF" this engine will even bolt up to your transmission.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know of any AWD Honda Odysseys. Your wiring harness will not match with your replacement engine.
"IF" this engine will even bolt up to your transmission.
so far so good- spent yesterday building the z8 for install. Z4 wiring harness matched up perfectly, and it cleanly bolted up with the transmission. Still waiting on some seals and new coolant lines but otherwise no concerns. Then again it’s still on the shop floor but hope to have it installed today.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
so far so good- spent yesterday building the z8 for install. Z4 wiring harness matched up perfectly, and it cleanly bolted up with the transmission. Still waiting on some seals and new coolant lines but otherwise no concerns. Then again it’s still on the shop floor but hope to have it installed today.
That's an interesting match up. The AWD and 2wd always had differences. The VVT Solinoid assemblies are AWD 2wd sensitive. You didn't have to swap these?

·
Registered
23 Posts
No I didn’t swap Vvt assemblies. They are identical in looks and parts numbers. Fingers crossed. Then again the cams are different so swappihg may be a bad idea.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts