Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I need some help. I have a pilot on order through my credit union, the price is 32,500. If i go through the credit car buying service i save .25% on the loan. The pilot will not arrive for 4 to 6 weeks. My wife is drving a 88 Toyota Carmy with 170,000 and on its last leg with a oil like so bad she needs oil once a week.

The problem, The Honda dealer has a Silver pilot with Nav (the one we have on order) on the lot now, they want 33,000.

What should we do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
GregthePilotMan said:
What should we do?
Well, if the one on the lot is what you want, see if you can get the dealer to beat the interest rate - if it's enough it might cover the difference (or enough of it to make it worth your while).

I'm in a similar situation, but I actually can wait because my wife & I work for the same company (although in different campuses in the same city & at slightly different times), so if my 89 Camry w/ 211,000 :)rolleyes:) dies it won't kill me.

Is that price you quoted (32,500-33,000) on an EX-L NAV? I'm asking because on an EX-L my CU quoted me (today - it went up :-( ) $800 below MSRP. Also, is that w/ or w/o destination charge?

kad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
You need to:
1. Consider what .25 percent of your loan amount for the number of months you finance will mean in terms of your monthly payment. Apply this to your original amount plus $500 for the available car. For example, on a $15,000 for 48 months, a .25 percent less interest rate will amount to about $2 a month.

2. See what rate you can negotiate with the dealer on the available pilot. Dealers will often try to beat banks and credit unions just to secure your loan with their lending partners.

3. Have you made any deposit through the credit union? If so can you get it back?

"A bird in the hand.....is messy"

Larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
You say they want $33,000. But will they take less? Have you considered making a formal written offer to buy the vehicle for a lesser amount? Doing so might indicate that you are really serious about buying TODAY, which would seem pretty tough for a dealer to turn down.

You could mention that you are shopping around for other deals and that you hope to find another dealer willing to sell for less in the next month or so. Then they'd lose your special order, as well. If salespersons play hardball with customers, we can play hardball with them.

If you've already presented a serious written offer to buy the one off the lot and they've refused to come down, so be it. But if not, I'd decide what the maximum price is that you'd be willing to pay TODAY and then submit a written offer a few hundred below the maximum price you're willing to pay. Gives you a little room to come up and still meet your max price. Then it's easy--either buy it off the lot or don't depending upon their reply.

I'd pay more to get it sooner (and get rid of the old Camry), but how much more is a personal decision. I had a chance to avoid a 4-6 week wait but it would have cost me $500 more. I decided to wait. I'm sure others would have done it differently.

Good luck and keep us posted!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
Take a close and careful look at the Pilot on the lot. Look for some of the problems others have encountered, the window scrunch, the splotchy paint, etc. If everything seems in order, negotiate the $500 difference. Ask them to throw in accessories like running boards, wheel locks, rear splash guards, cargo tray, all season floor mats. If you are ready to buy, they should be ready to deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Have you investigated other finance sources? My credit union "special rate" was actually a lot higher than one I obtained through Costco's program with PeopleFirst. (Now Capital One)

I just reread your post....the car on order is ordered from the CU...not this dealer with the one on the lot?? Sounds like it time to negotiate. I'd be surprised if the dealer wouldn't just go ahead and take the lower price for an immediate and certain sale. Even my local "we won't sell them for a penny less than MSRP" offered to drop the freight charge, essentialy a $500 discount, when he found out I was a Costco member and and chatted with their authorized dealer. I wasn't interested in that small of a drop and cast a wider net, but even the one that "wouldn't budge" did so when he found out there was competition for my immediate sale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

My wife and I talked it over. We went to the dealer and purchase our new Silver EX-L with Nav Pilot. My credit union quoted us a rate of 6.25% drop .25% for using the car buying service, drop another .25% if we use them for primary banking, so that would have been 5.75% rate. The deal got us in @ 4.9%. I put down 2650.00 (enough to take care of the taxes)(the reg cost was 38.00 because i am non-resident of Cali Active Duty Member) and the car total price after down payment came to 32,998.01. I took the deal for 2 reasons:

1. My Toyota Camry was not going to make 4 to 6 weeks more and the had the color and nav like we wanted.

2. The the rate was better than my credit union.

So I paid 330.00 less than than MSRP. Not too bad. I really didnt want to go and fight too much with the dealer. The mark up price from the dealer was 36,000.00 which was crazy!

I want to thank everyone for there input. Even tho it is stock right now i am going to post some pics soon.

Once Again thank you for your help

Greg
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top