Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend an accurate, no-nonsense stick-type tire guage? Read somewhere that the digitals and dial-types are not as accurate. Thanks.

--tjs
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
TJS45662 said:
Can anyone recommend an accurate, no-nonsense stick-type tire guage? Read somewhere that the digitals and dial-types are not as accurate. Thanks.

--tjs
I seem to recall the basic stick-type sold at Wal-Mart is pretty accurate. I personally use a dial type, and also have one of the electronic digital read-out types. No matter what you buy, if you have a chance to compare it to a known accurate guage, you can then compensate for any inaccuracy. The main thing is to check your tires cold and atleast every couple weeks.

Good luck!

rod

BTW, excellent color choice!!!

:29:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: need a tire guage recommendation

colorider said:


I ., . . No matter what you buy, if you have a chance to compare it to a known accurate guage, you can then compensate for any inaccuracy. . . . . . .
:29:
How do you know the OTHER guage is accurate?

You always have to check 2 others.

Like it was once said, "A man with two watches Never knows what time it is!"

I have found that with stick guages the next up from the cheap guages worrk great (($1.50 vs. $0.79), and all the more expnsive one are just that.
Dial guages seem to get better with price, but dont seem worth it to me.
Electronic always seem accurate, but always break for me, so I have given up on them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Re: need a tire guage recommendation

N_Jay said:


How do you know the OTHER guage is accurate?

You always have to check 2 others.

Like it was once said, "A man with two watches Never knows what time it is!"

I have found that with stick guages the next up from the cheap guages worrk great (($1.50 vs. $0.79), and all the more expnsive one are just that.
Dial guages seem to get better with price, but dont seem worth it to me.
Electronic always seem accurate, but always break for me, so I have given up on them.
You are right, unless you have access to some highly accurate calibration lab equipment. For me, I checked my dial type against a couple digital electronic ones. Mine was within a pound and now it is my "reference" that I use to check all my tires.

The reason I stick with the dial versus the digital is simply convenience and accessibility to the valve stem on my motorcycles. The digital ones I have tired just will not easily reach the valve stem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
I just use a regular old $1.99 stick pen clip gauge you can get at any auto or department store. Works fine for me. If it's off by an lb. or two who cares? It's not like I'm driving an Indy car!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
I've owned and used a digital one from the Brookstone catalog. It works great! (about 7 years).

I was very anal about getting an acurate gage. I've purchased MANY different types, but this is the most accurate when I compare it to one's that mechanics and tire retailers use.

Very easy to use, even on high pressure bike tires.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top