Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just got my parents 2005 Pilot handed down to us. Navigation hasn't been updated in forever (it's only been driven a couple of days a week for the past 5 or 6 years. My mom bought it to be the grandma carpool, but now that the kids are older, she didn't need all the space. And even when she did drive, it was mostly in town so navigation updates weren't a high priority).

Now, of course, we'd like current navigation, and bluetooth calling and music, etc, etc.

Bought a DDX9707 to replace the stereo and navigation. Didn't do a ton of research a head of time and spent a good bit trying to figure out what was up with the dash kit not fitting right in the upper radio spot (where the navigation was). Starting to do the research, I stumbled on this site. It looks like I need a different bezel. I think what I need is 77250-S9V-A61ZA. I'm hoping someone can confirm that's the right part. Essentially, turning our Pilot with nav into a pilot without nav. Right?

TIA

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ok, if your 2005 has navigation, it means you essentially got two units - navigation is at the top of the stack, and audio unit a bit below, and it looks something like this:
Car Vehicle Radio Plant Steering wheel

In general, I recommend a read through this:

What you most likely need is a Scosche HA1703B trim kit. Two of those, actually.

It comes with two sets of brackets - for the upper location, and for the lower. Top location is where you install your Kenwood. Bottom location, you can fill with storage pockets from both trim kits.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
106 Posts
Ok, if your 2005 has navigation, it means you essentially got two units - navigation is at the top of the stack, and audio unit a bit below, and it looks something like this:
View attachment 147143

In general, I recommend a read through this:

What you most likely need is a Scosche HA1703B trim kit. Two of those, actually.

It comes with two sets of brackets - for the upper location, and for the lower. Top location is where you install your Kenwood. Bottom location, you can fill with storage pockets from both trim kits.
Scorrpio, have you tried one of these to add Bluetooth to stream music? Or know anyone who has?

·
Registered
794 Posts
On my older Pilot (2007), I originally added a USA Spec adapter that would allow an iPod connection as well as Audio AUX jack. It did not have Bluetooth, but the principle was the same - it would plug into a connector reserved for the XM module. If you already had an XM module, you needed a Y-splitter. That one worked OK. It is a cheap and minimally invasive solution.
While I don't have experience with that particular Crux unit, I am sure it'll do what it states - let you stream audio from the phone. Likely will allow track skipping as well from steering wheel controls.

Pretty sure It is not going to work for phone calls, however. You would just need to use the phone in speaker mode. Also will likely not allow any kind of more advanced control. You would needto keep your phone mounted on a dash for that. In my case, I eventually upgraded the audio head to a touchscreen unit that allowed full handsfree functionality, along with a rear camera install.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I put in an Apple Car play Pioneer unit that was about $500 professionally installed and I'm happy as heck. Steering wheel radio buttons work and I used one of the spare switch plates next to the radio for the USB port. It looks factory installed and I have a 2020 head unit on my 17 year old pilot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, navigation up top, radio down below. I've already been to crutchfield, already purchased the radio, that exact dash kit, etc. It's hooked up and running in the lower position, where the radio is. The navigation screen sits dead up top. The dash kit doesn't fit the space up top. The navigation screen is slightly different size than the radio.

The radio would be up top in a non-navigation unit, so it appears the bezel surrounding the units is slightly different. One for the navigation unit, one for the radio. I'm trying to confirm which part number is which.

Best I can tell, 77250-S9V-A11ZA was for the navigation unit, and 77250-S9V-A61ZA was for the non-nagivation. That's the part I'm hoping someone can help confirm for me.:)

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,850 Posts
Scorrpio, have you tried one of these to add Bluetooth to stream music? Or know anyone who has?

I got this (pure Bluetooth) GTA Car Kit. Now I have phone connected via Bluetooth for music, phone, Waze, Google Maps, etc. Happy as a clam.

Bluetooth and iPhone/iPod/AUX Kits for Honda Pilot 2006-2008 – GTA Car Kits

I find Waze and Google Maps more up to date and useful than any traditional navigation system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news bad news, in case anyone is following... I know it's an older Pilot so maybe not as much interest. :)

The other bezel (A61ZA) does indeed fit a radio using the dash kit. Sort of. ;)

When I use the extra surround piece from the dash kit and hook it up to the brackets, the radio doesn't fit the space - the holes it uses put the radio about 1/8" too low. So I used the original metal brackets to get the radio positioned correctly and now I'll have to figure a way to get that bezel from the dash kit permanently affixed in there. It's currently just sitting in the space and it's a fairly snug fit, so it might stay there forever without anything. :)

At any rate, the radio is now mounted in the upper position, and I have two pockets in the lower position (although the pockets I thought I needed didn't work, so I had to do some modification to make the 2nd pocket fit. It's not perfect, but the Mrs has the radio where she wanted it so life is good!

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Pics?

How about drilling your own mounting holes to make everything fit just the way you want? I'm just speculating here, trying to imagine your setup.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I got this (pure Bluetooth) GTA Car Kit. Now I have phone connected via Bluetooth for music, phone, Waze, Google Maps, etc. Happy as a clam.

Bluetooth and iPhone/iPod/AUX Kits for Honda Pilot 2006-2008 – GTA Car Kits

I find Waze and Google Maps more up to date and useful than any traditional navigation system.
Hey, if you come across a replicator, toss that setup in there and I'll pay for postage. ;)

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Hey, if you come across a replicator, toss that setup in there and I'll pay for postage. ;)
It's actually easier than I had feared to install if you follow their very good video, and if you have any questions, the guy Maurizio there is Johnny-on-the-spot with his replies and quite helpful.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
What model do you have/are you thinking of getting? One I had a decade or so ago was a POS. I think (or hope) they've improved. It also depends on choosing a completely naked FM frequency with no neighbors.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've had a Schosche unit in my old Infiniti for years, but I got to where I don't even use it anymore because the high ranges (that's what I meant by "high-end sound quality" above, lol) are just muddled and muffled. So I definitely don't recommend them. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and put a new head unit in and amp the sub to keep the sound quality. Someday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.