Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Definitely worth getting. Once you use it you'll never go back. It's like the microwave. It's especially useful in destinations you're not familiar with. It can also get you out of traffic jams since it can route detours and avoid specific streets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
Be sure to check out the maps for your area.
I travel to NY frequently and rent Hertz cars with
"NeverLost" and I love it. So I would love the NAV
system BUT... the dealers here in KY tell us that the
map for Lexington only has a couple of major highways!!

I'm sure that updates to the maps will become available,
but I decided to wait on the NAV system and buy a portable
one sometime in the future (easier to take places I won't take
our Pilot!) Plus, the husband and kids really wanted the
DVD RES (Rear Entertainment System)!!!

Does anyone know if updates ARE available, and how they
are installed? Is it really a DVD that contains the map
data used by the GPS coordinates, and if so, are upgrades
available?

Beth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Just ordered a Red Rock Pearl with NAV. Fell in love with the NAV unit when I test drove a MDX. Salesperson said updates can be purchased from Honda for around $100. Can't wait till ours comes in. Due in around 8/15. BTW, paid list.

NAV users let us know how good the maps are in Louisville Kentucky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Navi Works Great

Really like our Navi. The maps for Las Vegas are great. Honda's system was rated one of the best. It's an Alpine System and if you are interested in the coverage in your area, you can get details at:

http://www.alpine1.com/html/D2_n_1_n_n.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
Thanks Jerry, for the reference to the Alpine Site.
Kentucky isn't a 'link'on the main search page but if you
open the entire PDF file listing the cities, there are a whole
bunch of places in Kentucky I never heard of listed, and
Louisville -- must be suburbs of Louisville.
Is this true, redrok03?
(By the way, a RedRockPearl was delivered to DJ Honda here in
Lexington last night. We drove by as the truck was leaving.
We are hoping ours is already hidden in a service bay... hope hope hope ... as we didn't see it on the lot... actually we have a reserve on a Taffeta White, with hope that the dealer can trade it for a Havasu Blue. Dealer said he has found another dealer possibly willing to trade.
Hope they can do it quick!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Navi

She's right about Lexington not being covered, least for now. Before looking at the Honda, I was in the Acura dealership. They aren't even getting any vehicles with Nav, period unless you order it that way. As I understand it, for now, the local map only shows the two interstates that border us and a handful of the major arteries. I understand it can and probably will be added in the future as newer DVDs are made available, but not worth the 2K gamble right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Navi Works Great

Jerry said:
Really like our Navi. The maps for Las Vegas are great. Honda's system was rated one of the best. It's an Alpine System and if you are interested in the coverage in your area, you can get details at:

http://www.alpine1.com/html/D2_n_1_n_n.html
Thanks Jerry for the Alpine site. I did not think much about it before but after taking a tour at the site, I LIKE IT !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Thanks to all for the information. I'm a newbie to the internet info boards and just subscribed to this thread, so forgive if I don't make sense.

Havasu, I looked at the Alpine Site and yes a lot of the cities listed are really suburbs of Louisville. But no Lexington maps? Augggg... Very disappointing. I guess there won't be an Ashland map either. Guess I'll get lost when travelling there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
redrok03 said:
Thanks to all for the information. I'm a newbie to the internet info boards and just subscribed to this thread, so forgive if I don't make sense.

Havasu, I looked at the Alpine Site and yes a lot of the cities listed are really suburbs of Louisville. But no Lexington maps? Augggg... Very disappointing. I guess there won't be an Ashland map either. Guess I'll get lost when travelling there
Don't just depend on the Alpine Site. There have been many people that thought the map was missing, but it was actually covered very well by the Navi. The best thing is to input the address on a dealer car or your car and see if it is in there. More likely than not it's there. The Navi coverage on the Pilot/MDX is probably one of the best in the market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
I bet the trip computer is there, just turned off. I have been hoping someone would have the access method to get to the hidden menus so I could experiment. The hardware may not be there to do everything the nav system does in the Acura but the software has to be there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
pangpang77, no Lexington is not covered. We discussed this with an Acura MDX dealer and also with the Honda dealer. Crummy coverage for Kentucky (unless you only want to travel to Louisville). Other GPS like Garmin, Magellen, etc. seem to cover the state very well. My brother has a StreetPilot and our street is in there, with a street addition that is only a couple of years old, so it's a fairly recent map.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
Well, as we've discussed in other threads, updates will be available, but with the Pilot's NAV, it seems it's only available each October, via DVD, and it costs over $100. Other handhelds (which sit nicely on the dash) have updates available at any time that you load into their proprietary removable RAM (don't know the details tho). Sounds more flexible and I could play with the toy away from the Pilot. My dad took one on a cruise last winter and had a ball with it. I think I know what I'm getting for my birthday this fall. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
You have to use the Navi to appreciate it's slickness...

Yes, the option is pricey, but you get what you pay for! It is one of the most complete sources of "places of interest" with the ability to locate NEARBY gas stations, food etc
It is DVD based, touch screen & FAST!


havasu said:
Well, as we've discussed in other threads, updates will be available, but with the Pilot's NAV, it seems it's only available each October, via DVD, and it costs over $100. Other handhelds (which sit nicely on the dash) have updates available at any time that you load into their proprietary removable RAM (don't know the details tho). Sounds more flexible and I could play with the toy away from the Pilot. My dad took one on a cruise last winter and had a ball with it. I think I know what I'm getting for my birthday this fall. :)
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top