Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have the Navi system and I was wondering what those who have it think of it. I figure most of the time I know where I'm going, and when I don't I check a map or ask directions.

Is the Navi necessary? Does is have any benefits or is it another gadget? Is it worth the price tag?

Evergreen

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nav system

I love my Nav system. Most of the time I do know where I am going, but I also had a rearview camera installed. When in reverse, I can see what is behind the car. That is cool!!! I have used it a couple times to find locations I have been unfamiliar with and it has been great!

Yes, it is probably an expensive toy. But I really like having it!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Love it! Necessary? Probably not, but I've used it many times to locate and navigate unfamiliar places. I've found it to be very helpful, fast, and accurate. I would purchase it again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My navi is great... But like ukuhana said, it's an expesive toy... but since we travel a lot it's worth it for us.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I thought I'd view it as a toy, but I have found it to be very very helpful both on trips and around town. The nav has some limits - you have to check if it serves your home area and the annual update is not out yet. But, it is absolutely great to have. I won't have another car without one. The backup camera is cool too. I can park in spots that I never thought I'd fit in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Love the Navi system. I no longer have to look up maps online before going places. I just input the address or location name and it plots the course. Even though I know where I'm going most of the time, I've used it also to bypass traffic.

I live in Los Angeles, so it has extensive coverage. It has so many listings for shops, restaurants, and even has a listing for my personal physician.

I also use the feature to turn on icons for gas stations so I know exactly where a Shell station (has a Shell icon) is when I'm travelling away from home. Came in handy when I was low on gas while driving to my wife's relatives house in San Diego county.

Honestly, I could live without it, but I'm sure it's something I'll want in ever new car I get in the future (especially my wife's since she's not the greatest with directions... shhh I didn't say anything. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
highly recommend

No doubt it is a toy, but very useful if you spend any time in unfamiliar territory. I like the ability to enter a phone number for a business and it will take you there. I used mine in Nashville this weekend as I was able to mark a location that I later wanted to return to, but had no idea of the best way to get back to it. You can save your current location and use it as a previous destination later to return to the spot. It is also nice to know how far you have to go and the estimated time it will take to get there. It also gives the elevaton and specifics of your location at any time. The map is also useful to look ahead to see what is coming up so you can be better prepaired for turns, exits, etc. In my opinion, it also creates a neat looking dash. This will be standard soon. Only bad part is the price and lack of detail in some areas. BPILOT

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's the voice - She is really sweet

Actually you don't have to take your eyes off the road. The system speaks to you in a rather nice, sweet voice. I actually feel as if I am offending the young lady when I ignore her "U turn as soon as possible" instruction. I think looking at the screen is actually safer than looking at the map. I still do both on occasion. BPILOT

·
Registered
311 Posts
Re: It's the voice - She is really sweet

BPilot said:
Actually you don't have to take your eyes off the road. The system speaks to you in a rather nice, sweet voice. I actually feel as if I am offending the young lady when I ignore her "U turn as soon as possible" instruction. I think looking at the screen is actually safer than looking at the map. I still do both on occasion. BPILOT
Yea, it is amazing. She never gets upset when you don't listen. Maybe they should have an option where the voice lets you have it when you ignore the instructions...."Hey, I SAID turn LEFT! Are you deaf?" On second thought, I'll stay with the ever kind voice.

The only safety concern you have with the system is if you try to program it while rolling. Not a good idea. Otherwise it is safer than a paper map approach which can be distracting. The way we do it is that my wife operates the NAV if changes are needed or we want to scroll to look ahead on the onscreen map. I just drive.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Bad side of the Nav

This thing really negatively impacts the macho - can drive without instruction or maps - and find anything - image we men try to display from the driver's seat. I now have no excuse for driving by car dealerships, motorcycle shops and junk yards on my way to buy milk. Oh well, can't have everything. BPILOT

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not to rain on anyone's parade...

NAVI Owners

I love the Nav, its getting me places I've never been before (Queens--its a maze of St, Ave, Pl, Rd, all with the same number), but it just seems it could do so much more.

Do you feel the Navi could do more? For example, manage trips, actual compass readings(NE, SW)--not that little arrow thingy, how many miles to the tank, average speed, average mileage to the tank, radio controls, heating/cooling controls, maybe a big clock, etc. Others seem to do it, even other Honda vehicles' NAVs do more.

Why not Honda?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Re: Bad side of the Nav

BPilot said:
This thing really negatively impacts the macho - can drive without instruction or maps - and find anything - image we men try to display from the driver's seat. I now have no excuse for driving by car dealerships, motorcycle shops and junk yards on my way to buy milk. Oh well, can't have everything. BPILOT
Oh man, I was rolling when I read that one! The Navi better be off for those side trips to happen. Of course no one said you could get the FRESHEST milk at the closest store!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Re: Not to rain on anyone's parade...

ejpnyc said:
NAVI Owners

I love the Nav, its getting me places I've never been before (Queens--its a maze of St, Ave, Pl, Rd, all with the same number), but it just seems it could do so much more.

Do you feel the Navi could do more? For example, manage trips, actual compass readings(NE, SW)--not that little arrow thingy, how many miles to the tank, average speed, average mileage to the tank, radio controls, heating/cooling controls, maybe a big clock, etc. Others seem to do it, even other Honda vehicles' NAVs do more.

Why not Honda?
Hey, they had to leave something for the new MDX - the new NAV in the MDX (and Accord) is more advanced in terms of the number of "points of interest" etc. I think a trip computer would be nice in the Pilot's system, but I also think that it is easy to make the menu systems too involved when they try to do too many things. It is a little tricky to get the right balance between features and ease of use. I bet that we'll be able to upgrade our NAV systems over time when the latest and greatest systems come out. It'll be interesting to see what bells and whistles are available. I've seen a Honda PR announcement somewhere that indicated that the next gen navs will tie into internet traffic info when computing routes. That would be cool. We'll probably be checking email on the Pilot nav screen in no time.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The MDX Nav even has a calendar function! My father has an MDX with Nav and it has so much more features than ours even though the upcharge for it is about the same. The screen is bigger and it has a trip computer, and has A/C controls for the manual functions saves dash space.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts