Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2015 Pilot Touring on a 24-hour test drive from Carmax (actually more like almost 48 hours since it’s over a weekend). Drives well and I like it, but there’s this one sore spot that in a place that’s hard to ignore... it looks like the previous owner glued something to the surface directly in front of the display screen, and the glue or whatever melted a horizontal line right at the bottom of the screen (see photos).

I’m not so concerned about the marred black plastic in front of the screen as it doesn’t stand out, but that melted spot really draws my attention.

So, my question... anyone know how difficult it would be to replace the clear plastic screen cover or “lens,” as I’ve seen it referred to?

·
Registered
695 Posts
When I was doing my audio overhaul, I had to cut into that part pretty heavily, so I actually ordered a display module off eBay to tear into.

You should be able to order one as well, i.e.

Even if the display itself in the piece you order is not working/damaged, you can just swap the display from your car into the plastic shell. Replacement itself is a 20 min job - pop off a couple trim parts, remove a pair of screws, three connectors, thats it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! I’ve read some of your previous posts, so I was hoping you might see this and weigh in. :love:

Could I ask for some details on exactly which trim pieces need to be removed and how to remove them? Obviously I’m not going to tear into it unless I buy it, but if I do, it has to be fixed because it just kills me to look at.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
FWIW, most of the casual adhesives used for sticky patches, velcro pads, etc. are easily removed with rubbing alcohol. Since it's a test drive and no risk to you, try a microfiber towel and some rubbing alcohol, soaking the stuff on the black surface first with the towel, then wiping gently after it's had a chance to work. If that works, move on to the acrylic "lens" with a similar technique. The alcohol won't damage the lens, but significant rubbing will. So be as gentle with the rubbing and you can. If you do scratch the lens, there are plastic polishes from places like Meguiars that can be used to recover the finish without disassembly.

Reactions: Sluggo and briantii

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the tip, but there's real physical damage to the clear plastic. If I run my finger over it, it's noticeably damaged. It'll definitely need to be replaced.

FWIW, most of the casual adhesives used for sticky patches, velcro pads, etc. are easily removed with rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
695 Posts
First, you remove the two trim pieces on both sides of the audio unit. Just use instructions on page 2 of the attached pdf. Make sure your parking brake is engaged. (I also use wheel boots to make double sure) The shift lock release hole has a small plastic plug, use something thin and sharp to pry it out. You do not need to pull the audio/nav/climate unit assembly out fully, but you will need to remove the screws holding it and pull it out about half an inch, cause it has an interlocking 'lip' with the display unit.

Next, you remove the top cover above the display. Its clips are facing towards the windshield, so you kinda have to pull it horizontally straight away from windshield, not upwards. Mine is solid, yours might have the center speaker attached to it that you would need to unplug.

The display unit has metal 'wings' in the back (can see those in the ebay listing pictures). Those are held by screws you need to remove. There are also two holes near the bottom of display unit, but at least on my car, there were no screws in those. You might wanna shine a light there to make sure. With screws removed, you should be able to pull the display unit directly up. There are 3 connectors to unplug.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for! Crazy to think that it could just be a ~$20 fix if I only wanted to replace the main screen unit, and not much more for one with the black bezel piece included to replace the screwed up plastic in front of the screen.

Thanks again for your help!(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts