Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with NAVI, what are your likes and dislikes?

For those who have used other NAVI systems, how does the Honda system compare to the others?

When I receive my SS EX-L NAVI :D, it will be the first NAVI system for my wife and I. Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks,
Chris R
:1:

·
Registered
11 Posts
We end up using more often than we expected. On our vacations, the navi allows us to take detours, find places, make last minute changes in travel destinations with confidence.

One real worthwhile feature is the search that pulls up lists of similar places (eg., parks, shopping centers and the like) by distance, or by location.

There are somethings a map will not help with and its the next best thing as being on the internet when traveling in unfamiliar areas. One example: knowing when to plan the next stop for the kids based on your location.

One negative we found that surprised us; on a recent ski trip to Lake Tahoe with the car parked outside for the night (frozen over at 18F) and driving with the lights on with sunglasses, the navi display was so dim we thought it was dead. It wasn't, just that it was dimmed by the headlights being on and the back lighting for the display doesn't put out normal intensity until it warms up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have an EXL-NAV. Overall, I really like the navigation system. It's really useful when you are in an unfamiliar location trying to get home.

One complaint I do have is that when you want to search for a location by name it will show all locations throughout the United States instead of just a selected state. This is kind of useless if you are searching for a common name.

The navigation does work well. A few quirks, but we've arrived at our destination every time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pretty cool!

We got the nav in our Pilot because several months ago, long before we even thought about buying a new car, I told my wife "our next car was going to have a navigation system in it!!" I made this statement because after several (when I say several, I mean MANY) phone calls from her asking "where am I?" and "how do I get <there> from <here>?" Since she gets car sick trying to read anything, like written directions, and is quite map-challenged, the navigation system was a must.

We first used is for a simple, well-traveled route; to my mother-in-law's house. The system was right on. In fact, we took an alternate route than that suggested by the nav and it recalculated another route, which was also right on.

We've used it to get places we've never been and to find places we couldn't remember the location of (there's a built-in database of many restauarants, hotels, airports, hospitals, etc.).

Overall we're very pleased with the navigation unit in the Pilot. We've never had one or used one before so we cannot compare it to another. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with bielin.. when you type in the name of a destination (McDonalds, for example) it will pull up everything in the United States.. granted, you can sort it by location.. but it would've been nice to be able to specify a location (such as San Jose, CA) and then pull up all those.. something like that..

Another thing when searching by name of destination, it's like the people that were in charge of data entry for the Nav DVD could've been a little more consistent.. for example.. I tried to find the closest Popeye's Fried Chicken in my area.. after typing in "POPEYE" and hitting the
  • button, different names popped up like "Popeye's Chicken", "Popeye Fried Chicken", etc.. just a bunch of variations on the name in question... hitting the first one, I was directed to a Popeye's in New York.. it took a little fiddling, but I was eventually able to find one in my immediate area..

One thing which I didn't know until I got my own Nav is that you can choose to see ATMs, restaurants, and gas stations on the Nav map.. I thought that was so cool.. the little 'Shell' icon on the map..

Although it may have its quirks (definitely nothing I couldn't live with), I personally think the Nav is a great thing to have.. and my wife is the same way, map-challenged, hates to use Mapquest, etc.. so it was perfect for her..

·
Registered
199 Posts
I agree with all...but

Is not the most stupid thing in the world having to go through the agreement approval screen each time the system is used or even the switch turned on? This is on the order of the two questions asked at the airline counter until someone wised up. Has anyone ever read that message?? How about having to tell the computer you want to resume your trip when you stop for gas?? Duhhh But I really enjoy it. BPILOT

·
Registered
4 Posts
NAVI nonsense

hit OK so you can read the rest of this email... kooky eh?
The lawyers are back up to it again - eventually we'll have airbags mounted on the rear bumper for those who follow too close w/o them...

I enjoyed seeing the telephone numbers in the 'places' listing(s)

Maybe its just me, but sometime I'd like peace & quite vs. ms know-it-all telling me where to turn in the middle of Led Zepplin IV - 'cancel' doesn't seem to do so in all cases

I too use this think more than I ever imagined - if for no other reason than to anticipate turns on somewhat unknown roads

If there was one thing I'd want on the 'next' version - it would be the simulated 3D display - the handhelds have it

And in a complete dream world, being able to infra-red 'beam' an address into it via my Palm Pilot would be nice -

·
Registered
138 Posts
Our Nav has been hit-or-miss. My wife is really sold on it but I'm still on the fence. We have put our Nav to several test around town and it's passed some and failed a few. Since my complaints and praises are pretty much the same as those who have already posted I'll list a few real world examples:

1) On the way to the mall one day we typed in the name of the shopping center and the Nav couldn't find it. When we put in the address, the name (exactly like we typed it) popped up and the Nav took us there w/ no problems. For my wife the Nav passed (A+) the test because it did it's job and took us where we wanted to go. For me it failed (D+), because if we hadn't known the address we would have never gotten there w/ the Nav. Besides, IMO that's one of reasons for having a Nav, so you don't have to know every darn address.
2) We went to one of my wifes college friends home for a Christmas get together. The Nav took us there w/ no problem and it even told us what side of the street their house was on. That was really cool because it was at night in a very dark neighborhood, rainy and we couldn't see the house numbers. It got a passing grade (A+) from both of us that time.
3) I was on the way home one day and the exit to get on the highway was closed for repairs. While at a stop light I turned on the Nav, brought up my home address, and recalculated another route (that I didn't even know about) home all before the light turned green. A+
4) This past weekend we used our Nav for the first time in downtown Washington, DC. The Nav struggled a few times and didn't give the normal 1/2 mile (or what ever it is) notice on turns. It seems like it was barely keeping up with where we were at. It got us where we wanted to go but I became skeptical when we crossed the same street on two different occasions. I also learned the hard way that "slight left turn" and "left turn" aren't the same thing. (B-)

Overall if I had it to do over I would buy the Nav again. However, I do feel that it is a work in progress and on that note I'm pretty sure I'll be buying the updated DVD when it comes out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been looking for an update. The latest DVD that's availabe, according to the "Purchase Honda Navigation DVD" on Honda's Owner Link site is version 2.05 (9/1/2001). Not too recent, especially since the DVD includes more than just road map information. Here's a link to the page that I found this info.

As far as a firmware upgrade, I haven't heard anything about it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'd buy it again.
"Detour" button when you are stuck in traffic on
a highway in an unfamiliar area, and have
the opportunity to take an exit -- priceless.

It won't always take the absolute shortest path,
but then again, if you know the absolute shortest
path, you didn't need the system for this trip
to begin with.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Members of this site have been looking for the DVD update for quite some time now. Several members are on a list to be notified by Alpine when it is available. The story was that it was to be an annual upgrade so that it would be coming out this past October(I think). Then it was going to be a few months more. Now? Who knows? I also heard that it was not going to be much of a change - just adding a few new cities/areas. I, for one, love the NAV, but will be really unhappy if Honda/Alpine does not provide a means of updating the info on the DVD. Already I am finding phone numbers for commercial establishments are not in the NAV system because they have been changed.

Also, apparently, there is an upgrade to the software for the system that fixes a few bugs - like the screen showing large black areas all of a sudden. But that is something that the Dealership does, not something we get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

Hopefully I can get some quick answers/clarification from you all on this.

If we order a 2003 EX-L without NAV, can we have it installed later?
From what people are saying, the NAV system has been upgraded for the new Accord. Is that correct and will that NAV system be available for the 2004 Pilot?

Let me know ASAP! There's a Sandstone EX-L Pilot available by us but I need to know whether the NAV sytem will be upgraded so we can make up our minds! If there's no change, I guess we'll just wait for a 2003 EX-L NAV!

Thanks!

Emo

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not the factory NAV. It's only available when you get it on the new vehicle. If you don't get it, you will have to find an aftermarket NAV because you can't get the factory unit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts