Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found any 3rd party vendors that sell updated DVDs for the Honda Navi system (2003 Pilot, specifically)? The last disc update was September, 2001. The DVD mentioned in other posts for this Fall (November?) is also mentioned as of today (22 Aug 2003). The message claims all "non voice activated" systems will have a major upgrade, and will continue to not support voice. The disk price is $185. (Couldn't I feed like 6 kids in Abu Majami for a year on that?)

Anyhoo, if anyone has seen another vendor selling compatible disks, please enlighten us!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If I only had a brain...

My previous post sounded a little incoherent. What I meant to say was that the Navi DVD hotline number (which is 888-291-4675) has a recorded message. When I listened to it today (22 Aug 2003), it indicated a "Fall" release (another thread said he/she spoke to someone at the number and they said November) for non-voice systems. The new DVD will be $185, and does not appear to add voice support.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you think about it, adding voice command support requires the addition of a microphone, and possibly other changes to the related hardware. So it's not surprising that the new DVD does not add this support, and I wouldn't expect any future DVD to add it either. When Honda adds the voice command support to the Pilot Nav system, it might then be possible to buy the components needed to upgrade older Pilots.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hop23 said:
If you think about it, adding voice command support requires the addition of a microphone, and possibly other changes to the related hardware. So it's not surprising that the new DVD does not add this support, and I wouldn't expect any future DVD to add it either. When Honda adds the voice command support to the Pilot Nav system, it might then be possible to buy the components needed to upgrade older Pilots.
I don't think it would be feasible to upgrade from non-voice to voice activated. The voice-activated Nav in the new Accord is totally different than our current Alpine based system. The new one is Microsoft Windows based. You may be able to use the stock LCD display, but you would have to upgrade the DVD navigation unit itself and maybe even the GPS receiver as the current receiver may not interface properly with the new DVD navigation unit. You'd also have to add the microphone and the steering wheel button that you push to activate the microphone for voice commands.

Anything is possible, but it would probably cost thousands of dollars and not worth the trouble. Besides, I tried the voice activated Nav. It didn't work well at all. Probably because of its version 1.0 bugs. No surprise considering the Microsoft software.

Glen

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
GlenH said:

Yes. I believe it is Windows CE based. Here is a thread at ClubTSX.com about hacking the Nav. I believe the TSX has the same Navigation system as the Accord.:

http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=2994

Further down on the page, you will see that the OS is Windows CE for Automotive.
Ok, so how do you reboot the sucker after a blue screen? :confused:

·
Registered
263 Posts
jay said:

Ok, so how do you reboot the sucker after a blue screen? :confused:
The BSOD will trigger an ignition shutoff. After the vehicle has come to a complete stop, you can turn the key off and then restart the vehicle, permitting a safe rebooting of the NAV system.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
kemosabe said:

Who cares??? :12: :10: :22: :drool: :29: :crazyeye:
Unfortunately, I don't have any fond mam, uh memories of blue screens. ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just ordered my new NAVI DVD disk at 888-291-4675. $185 + tax + 6$ for shipping...

·
Registered
10 Posts
DVD Contents?

I live on a street that is new and not on my 2004 DVD that came with my Pilot. I don't want to pay the $185 until those roads are there. Does anyone know what the source data is and if it can be verified online (ie: they use the same data as MapQuest, etc.) - also, are there a list of OS changes available for each DVD? Sorry if these questions have been asked...I'm still perusing the boards.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Has anyone received version 2.20 with their Pilot that was built in December 04?

I'm getting ready to take delivery of my 05 EXL-NAV and want to make sure I get the latest release of the DVD.

Thanks,
Dean

·
Registered
136 Posts
I picked up my new 2005 EXL-NAVI on Friday, 1/7/05, and it DOES NOT have the latest NAV disc like I was told is was supposed to have.

I complained to the sales manager and he's going to order me the new version so I don't get shafted for the $185.

Dean

·
Registered
21 Posts
From the update website:

The current version is 2.11C, and is available for purchase. The 04 Fall Update DVD (version 2.20) has been delayed, but will be available sometime in January.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I called the DVD order line (Alpine) today, and confirmed that all Pilots built near the end of December will ship with v2.20. The factory supposedly now has 2.20, but the order line doesn't have the retail upgrade DVD's available to ship yet.

Dean

·
Registered
17 Posts
I picked up my 2005 EX-L Navi yesterday! I was armed with DVD update info from reading this forum. The new Pilot had the old software (v2.11). Dealer committed to buying the update (v2.2) so I too don't get shafted for $185.
Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts