Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you people think Honda, in the future, will have nav available without leather? Do you think they did it to see how good the Pilot with DVD and nav would sell?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think this is purely an assembly-line efficiency issue. The Odyssey is the same. Honda probably figures that most buyers willing to drop the extra 1500-2000 for the DVD or the NAV have already decided to drop the extra 1250 for the leather. For the NAV, it's hard to argue with this logic, but for the DVD, which is a valuable option for families with small children, I'm not sure it holds water.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
hop23 said:
I think this is purely an assembly-line efficiency issue. The Odyssey is the same. Honda probably figures that most buyers willing to drop the extra 1500-2000 for the DVD or the NAV have already decided to drop the extra 1250 for the leather. For the NAV, it's hard to argue with this logic, but for the DVD, which is a valuable option for families with small children, I'm not sure it holds water.
I completely agree ....

:eek:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is it worth

I have never used a Navigation System. I am thinking of getting it in my EX-L. I do not travel frequently may be on vacation some unknown places. Is it worth? Would you prefer something else in place of NAV SYS? Any help is appriciated.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I find the NAV system to be very useful around my home area. I live in a large diverse urban/suburban area. I havn't had the Pilot with NAV that long, but already it has bailed me out a half dozen times when I could not find the street, miss it, had it wrong, whatever. On Sunday it found the "short-cut" route to a friend's house that I could never quite get right. It also found the rural town by the little state park I am driving to tomorrow. It is absolutely worth it, and most valuable near one's home. I think they will be as common as radios in the near future.

One thing to consider though...are the maps good for your area. You should check this out by both exploring the Honda website that addresses the nav system - it's under the Ody pages and the links are on this website somewhere, and by exploring the nav system at the dealership (if possible). The system is an Alpine system that will have updated DVDs ever year for either $100 or $150 - the reports seem to vary.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Go Garmin

While I'm sure the EX-NAV is very good (in most areas), you can save money by going with the StreetFinder III Deluxe package. I just installed one in my Pilot, and I love it. Unlike the Honda Nav, it's good in ALL areas of North America. It fit perfectly on the dash, just to the left of the hump created by the center console. Actually, I don't know if "install" is the right term. You just attach the base to the console (or use the included "beanbag" mount). Then you run the cable down to the power outlet. You can easily move the unit around to different vehicles, if you wish. There is some setup on the computer that initially will take about 1/2 hr of your time. It comes with 2 CD's --- the PC-based mapping software, and all the maps. Unlike the DVD based Honda Nav system (which is theoretically superior), this unit downloads "detailed" maps from your PC to a removeable memory stick (128MB). So you can't load up ALL of North America's detailed maps to the StreetFinder, but you can load up all the areas you'll be driving to....unless you are going to hit a dozen states in one big trip!!! Keep in mind, even with NO maps loaded, the StreetFinder can still navigate very well. The maps you load are "detailed" maps, but the StreetFinder always contains a "less detailed" map on it...and this is not part of the 128MB memory stick. So if you were going to drive from NY to Florida, you'd load detailed maps of NY, Florida, and maybe a few areas in between where you know you'll be stopping. To load up maps of Georgia (for example), would be a waste of space if you know you'll be sticking to the main roads, and don't need to find a motel, McDonalds, etc in that area. Currently, I have Ontario Canada, Western and Central NY, and Central and Eastern Pennsylania loaded. This took about 80MB of my 128MB stick. When I get a chance I'll post some photos of how it looks on my dash.

P.S. If you buy one....make SURE you're purchasing the "new" Deluxe version that comes with 128MB cartridge, bean bag mount, and "unlock" codes for ALL of North America. I bought mine for under $800 at gpsnow.com.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Re: Garmin

While I like the Garmin device, I think you really can't compare the functionallity of a DVD based built-in NAV system with the StreetFinder.

They simply do different things.

The NAV, as people in this thread have already pointed out, is EXTREMELY USEFUL in areas that you pretty familar with. It has the abi9lity to find gas stations, restraunts, stores, businesses by PHONE number and give you VOICE directions to find it. While this may sound silly, I can tell you that DOZENS of times I've tried to find a business by relying on regular maps and have had to circle back over & over -- this NEVER happens with NAV.

Granted, this functionallity is only available with detailed maps, but it is very very useful.
WNYPilotGuy said:
While I'm sure the EX-NAV is very good (in most areas), you can save money by going with the StreetFinder III Deluxe package. I just installed one in my Pilot, and I love it. Unlike the Honda Nav, it's good in ALL areas of North America. It fit perfectly on the dash, just to the left of the hump created by the center console. Actually, I don't know if "install" is the right term. You just attach the base to the console (or use the included "beanbag" mount). Then you run the cable down to the power outlet. You can easily move the unit around to different vehicles, if you wish. There is some setup on the computer that initially will take about 1/2 hr of your time. It comes with 2 CD's --- the PC-based mapping software, and all the maps. Unlike the DVD based Honda Nav system (which is theoretically superior), this unit downloads "detailed" maps from your PC to a removeable memory stick (128MB). So you can't load up ALL of North America's detailed maps to the StreetFinder, but you can load up all the areas you'll be driving to....unless you are going to hit a dozen states in one big trip!!! Keep in mind, even with NO maps loaded, the StreetFinder can still navigate very well. The maps you load are "detailed" maps, but the StreetFinder always contains a "less detailed" map on it...and this is not part of the 128MB memory stick. So if you were going to drive from NY to Florida, you'd load detailed maps of NY, Florida, and maybe a few areas in between where you know you'll be stopping. To load up maps of Georgia (for example), would be a waste of space if you know you'll be sticking to the main roads, and don't need to find a motel, McDonalds, etc in that area. Currently, I have Ontario Canada, Western and Central NY, and Central and Eastern Pennsylania loaded. This took about 80MB of my 128MB stick. When I get a chance I'll post some photos of how it looks on my dash.

P.S. If you buy one....make SURE you're purchasing the "new" Deluxe version that comes with 128MB cartridge, bean bag mount, and "unlock" codes for ALL of North America. I bought mine for under $800 at gpsnow.com.

·
Registered
126 Posts
renov8r

Not sure what your point was exactly. I'm sure they do different things...but what did you mean specifically? The only limitation I can find with the Garmin is that you must periodically change the maps to match the places you're driving to. I find that the Garmin unit is EXTREMELY USEFUL in areas that you know...and don't know. I realize that the DVD based units have the advantage of not having to ever load new maps (short of replacing the DVD once a year).....but I'm not sure what it does better than the Garmin unit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Installed vs Portable GPS

Don't forget... The Garmin StreetPilot III also has the ability to find 'points of interest' (gas stations, restauarants, hospitals, etc.), as well as specific addresses, intersections, or waypoints within areas of detailed coverage, and (unlike most GPS units), it can also route you to the selected destination.

I own both the SPIII and a NAVI and - except for the fact that you have to load map data into the SPIII from your pc - the overall functionality is very similar. Both will tell you where you ARE; Both will find many places that you might like to GO; and both will tell you HOW to get there (turn by turn). The primary differences relate to convenience, portability, and cost.

I would agree that most folks won't realize how often this capability can be useful until they have an opportunity to use it for themselves.

I would also agree that the latest version of Garmin maps (City Navigator) are VERY complete... Much more so than the current NAVI maps. However, based on what I've read recently, it appears as if the new Accord NAVI will correct that problem.

·
Registered
173 Posts
WNY...

I re-read your latest post and, in your example of driving through Georgia, I just wanted to remind you that the SPIII has interstate highway exit information (food locations, gas stations, etc.) for the ENTIRE continental US built right in to the base map.

·
Registered
30 Posts
SPIII and batteries

How long do the batteries last on the SPIII? What type and how many batteries does it need? Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not long!!

The StreetPilot III uses 6 AA batteries, and I think they are only supposed to last 2 hrs!!!! It comes with the adapter to plug it into the power outlet. Everyone will tell you, this is the ONLY way the unit should be used. When I turn off my key, the power outlet stops supplying power to the StreetPilot. It then warns you that external power has been lost, and unless you press a button on the unit, it shuts off in 30 secs. I'm getting into the habit of turning off the StreetPilot BEFORE I turn off my vehicle (a Pilot of a different breed). I don't want all those "30 seconds" to eventually add up to 2 hrs. I turn my key off at least two or three times a day, so it theoretically could run out of battery power in less than 3 months. It'd suck if I wore my batteries out when they were only active during shutdown!!! BTW, I'm not sure if the batteries are required if you are running on the vehicle's DC power. I'm guessing you'd still need them. For example, when I turn the StreetFinder back on again, it always remembers where I was last...also remembers the previous route I had planned. It's likely this memory is powered by the batterys (although it's very possible that's powered by an internal battery). The power cable runs very nicely down to the side of the center dash. I'll probably get some clips eventually to hold the cable in place (especially since it's not far from the gear shifter). When I get a chance, I'll post some pics of how it looks in my Pilot. I have it just to the left of the center dash. In that position, it really only blocks less than 1% of my view. When I had it mounted on top of the center dash, I thought it was somewhat of an obstacle to my vision.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Cost/Pictures

WNYPilotGuy,

Could you let us know how much GPS would Cost and the model? I am anxious to see the pictures. Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Cost/Pictures

WNYPilotGuy,

Sorry I found your message. GPSNOW.COM quotes 999.99 for a delux edition. I could not find 800.00 price tag. Could you verify this. Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good GPS Prices here...

Darryl at www.tvnav.com is quoting the StreetPilot III Deluxe package for $760 + shipping. This sounds like a good deal.

I have dealt with them several times and my experience has been good; YMMV. :5:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Regarding $999

Yes, I think Garmin isn't allowing sites to advertise the lower prices. Everysite I found that is selling the deluxe model required you to "add the item to your shopping basket" OR call/email to get the LOWER price. I checked www.tvnav.com, and you have to email/call. I also just checked www.gpsnow.com, and you have to "add to shopping basket" to see their lower price of $769.95. Here's the complete link "http://gpsnow.com/gmspiii.htm". Then click the "Add to Cart" button about halfway down the page. I'll try to post a pic of how it looks in my Pilot this weekend. We have a busy weekend....my 40th Birthday party is tomorrow...UGH!!!!. But I'm sure enjoying my new presents!!! A Honda Pilot EX-L AND a StreetPilot III.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Re: Installed vs Portable GPS

ChiefPilot_

I'm curious, what did you read about the Accord NAVI? Are we going to see an expansion of the DVDs in the Pilot too?

For anyone with a Honda Navi:

I love the NAVI. This weekend I was in the Shennandoah National Park and found that it dropped breadcrumbs automatically when I turned off skyline drive into the camping area. It was also useful to see the road ahead on the map to know if a very sharp turn was coming. One thing I have not seen yet - Does it allow you to select the last place you started from as your destination? In other words will it remember where your last trip began and give you reverse directions?

ChiefPilot said:
I would also agree that the latest version of Garmin maps (City Navigator) are VERY complete... Much more so than the current NAVI maps. However, based on what I've read recently, it appears as if the new Accord NAVI will correct that problem. [/B]

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mkell...

Actually, I don't remember if I actually read that the new Accord NAVI will offer more complete maps or if I simply inferred it from the article(??).

That said, however, NavTech is the company that does most of the detailed, routable maps for North America and Garmin (whose maps are supplied by NavTech) just released maps that contain detailed information for virtually all of the US.

The info in the NAVI databse is reportedly also supplied by NavTech, so I think it's a pretty safe bet that all of the NAVI maps will be updated in the next release (or perhaps the one after that, depending on their release timetable).

As to your question about reverse routing, you can always get back to anywhere if you just create a waypoint using your starting location. When you want to get back to your starting location from anywhere else, just select the waypoint that you created earlier and the NAVI will route you to that waypoint. As I recall, the NAVI will allow you to save quite a few waypoints to memory, and you can even name them individually.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Navigation system problem

Is there a Navigation system Guru out there? I am trying to get the 05 Pilot's Navigation system to do what the manual states. I would like to change some of the previous destinations to my personal addresses. However when I follow the directions on page 59 it goes through the process but the changes I make are not saved.

Can anyone give me any advise or tell me about a website that might help??

Thanks so much.

Andy Hooper

2005 Pilot White with Nav sys, trailer package, Day/Night mirror and fog lights.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts