Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps it's just my ears becoming more sensitive, but recently I've noticed a kind of "tickety-tickety-tickety-tickety" noise above the regular engine sound. In recent weeks, I've done a fair bit of summer vacation driving, mostly highway, sometimes pretty loaded (the car, not the driver :p).

I can hear it resonate off parked cars and cement lane dividers I drive by, plus when I just idle. Otherwise, vehicle seems to drive fine, no check engine light, no OBD2 codes. Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, air filter, engine oil, ATF and VTM4 fluid were all changed a couple of months ago.

So, what's that engine noise?

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9qhifANRD1c" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cured. :)

Put in a set of NGK Iridiums. Noise is gone, idles much more smoothly, accelerates and drives with more power.

But... previous owner had spark plugs changed by dealership about 3½ years ago according to an invoice she passed along to me.

Here are those plugs, removed today. Anyone notice anything a little different about sparky no. 5? :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,773 Posts
So the noise was the sound of the engine running in the "special VCM 5-cylinder mode?"

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the noise was the sound of the engine running in the "special VCM 5-cylinder mode?"
It's not a bug, it's a (dealer-installed) feature! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the new forum didn't carry over my original video, and doesn't allow me to edit it into my original post anymore, here it is.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
may be a delayed response from the US side ..the state of the Union is on lol :p

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So why aren't you watching? Pay attention, it's important.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I'm only here for the US money and the goods .. I still have a house back n Ontario that I plan to turn into a retirement place lol

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Since the new forum didn't carry over my original video, and doesn't allow me to edit it into my original post anymore, here it is.

so you installed those american Amazon plugs ?

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, those were installed by an outer regional stealership the previous owner lady went to. I only discovered them when I changed them for new NGK Iridiums I got myself at Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Cured. :)

Put in a set of NGK Iridiums. Noise is gone, idles much more smoothly, accelerates and drives with more power.

But... previous owner had spark plugs changed by dealership about 3½ years ago according to an invoice she passed along to me.

Here are those plugs, removed today. Anyone notice anything a little different about sparky no. 5? :eek:
Denso is usually a brand you can trust?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Hmm I’m gonna have to order a new set for mine

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Denso is usually a brand you can trust?
It's not the brand itself I don't trust so much as the dealership mechanic trying to put one over on the previous owner lady.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
It's not the brand itself I don't trust so much as the dealership mechanic trying to put one over on the previous owner lady.
Yes, obviously broke on installation.

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 14 of 14 Posts