Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 2005 Honda Pilot EX-L

CEL Codes: P0135 P0155 P0498

Other codes: VTM-4 on dash, from obd: Right front wheel speed sensor open or short 61-1 battery voltage failure

Car has been running fine for the last 10 years, no check engine lights, had it safety certified recently and battery replaced along with timing belt and brakes. Drove home with it no problems, a few days later after parking it outside in the winter, three lights came on randomly.

Summary:
- changed both heater sensors
- mechanic 'checked' wiring shows low voltage to heat element (he seemed busy so not sure how much he checked)
- changed ECU
- CEL (check engine light) comes back on 5-10 seconds after it is cleared, codes come back 1 by 1.

First two codes correspond to an oxygen heater voltage problem. A friend says 95% of the time, it's the sensors need changing, so we changed them with 2 NTK/NGK ones.

Code still appears. Brought it into a mechanic who claims he checked the electrical wiring, and the voltage is low, so most likely problem is Engine Computer, recommends we take it to the dealership.

I find out a new Engine Computer is about $1000, decide to get a 2nd hand one and have it installed. Same three codes.

Any suggestions or input are welcome.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You ever find out the issue?
I'm getting faults that indicate low voltage to the sensors. My 2005 Pilot runs just fine. The VSA light and triangle come on intermittently. Every time the car is turned code is apparently reset and the lights are off sometimes for days sometimes for only minutes. My battery and alternator appear fine. Can't figure out what the source might be.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Was the EVAP code P0498 addressed, low resistance in the vent valve circuit, could be wires or valve itself. As for the low voltage to the O2 sensors, corrosion and burn/shorted harness could be the culprit, seemingly confirmed by the PCM switch not solving the problem. Your mechanic could have disconnected harness from the PCM and tested the O2 sensor circuits, I like to run a parallel wire on a doubtful circuit to confirm a bad wire. Ground wires are a great headache source, especially to the body grounding screw. The illuminated VTM-4 light is most likely due to the other DTCs (gone into limp mode). However, a fix for that is changing the VTM fluid, every 15K miles (rear differential) and the associated rear differential temperature sensor.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I change my Trans, transfer case, and diff every time the service code says to but I do them all at once. I guess I'm going to change the diff temp sensor next with the driveline fluids too. I also need to change my o2 sensors that are on the top of the cats in the engine bay because I have codes for those too

·
Registered
105 Posts
Was the EVAP code P0498 addressed, low resistance in the vent valve circuit, could be wires or valve itself. As for the low voltage to the O2 sensors, corrosion and burn/shorted harness could be the culprit, seemingly confirmed by the PCM switch not solving the problem. Your mechanic could have disconnected harness from the PCM and tested the O2 sensor circuits, I like to run a parallel wire on a doubtful circuit to confirm a bad wire. Ground wires are a great headache source, especially to the body grounding screw. The illuminated VTM-4 light is most likely due to the other DTCs (gone into limp mode). However, a fix for that is changing the VTM fluid, every 15K miles (rear differential) and the associated rear differential temperature sensor.
Do you think the Evap code is related to the EGR valve? I cleaned mine out but haven't replaced it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Do you think the Evap code is related to the EGR valve? I cleaned mine out but haven't replaced it.
When you cleaned you EGR did you remove the upper intake plenum cover and clean the ports? As for the EVAP relation to the EGR, they're two different systems that have a common destination (intake/throttle body) as the cylinders suck the vapor in to burn them off. With the EVAP, check the valve and look for deteriorated hoses.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ok. Update. I had the same three codes in my 07 Honda Pilot (P 0135,P0155 and p0498) my VTM4 light was on as well. I watched a video on you tube

One thing he finds is a blown fuse in one of the under hood fuse boxes,I found a blown one, i changed it and now the VTM4 light is off. I need to check the codes again but man that was an easy fix

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
I, too, always start with the easy and inexpensive solution when in doubt, then work my way up. (y)

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well i replaced my bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1 and the blown fuse now I only have one code for the bank 2 sensor 2. The problem likely was the same in the video as one of my sensors wires was overheated by touching the exhaust which probably shorted and blew the fuse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts