Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I locked my car only to return 4 hours later to find the windows halfway down and the sun roof open. I spoke with Honda Customer Service and they were zero help. They did advise that that on a page in the owner's manual was the instruction of using the key fob and pushing the unlock button would let the windows down. I never pressed the unlock button! I was told by a service manager at dealership, that if you put the keys in your pocket or purse and something presses against the buttons it will happen. Great, so everything, including the car, can conveniently be stolen!! Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Cocorebel - Yup, just happened to me last week. Both driver and passenger windows were open 90% and the sunroof was open half way - happened during a thunderstorm too, if all days. We just happened to figure out that it was the key fob by a wild guess - without looking at the manual. Hold the unlock button for about 5 to 7 seconds and sure enough it opened the windows and sunroof. To boot, you can't close them in the same way, you have to put the keys in the ignition to do that.... Not sure this is a feature so much as just an annoyance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honda corporate office and dealership said there was no way to turn off this feature. I should just be careful not to be key fob next to anything! If anything of mine gets stolen or rain, there will be a lawsuit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Cocorebel - Yup, just happened to me last week. Both driver and passenger windows were open 90% and the sunroof was open half way - happened during a thunderstorm too, if all days. We just happened to figure out that it was the key fob by a wild guess - without looking at the manual. Hold the unlock button for about 5 to 7 seconds and sure enough it opened the windows and sunroof. To boot, you can't close them in the same way, you have to put the keys in the ignition to do that.... Not sure this is a feature so much as just an annoyance.
Generally you have to press on the unlock button once and then press and hold the second time for it to kick in. Getting that reversed only seems to work with the actual key in the door lock locking the car. Unfortuantely no way to disable it or at least to lock it all back up remotely, which is kind of odd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Generally you have to press on the unlock button once and then press and hold the second time for it to kick in. Getting that reversed only seems to work with the actual key in the door lock locking the car. Unfortuantely no way to disable it or at least to lock it all back up remotely, which is kind of odd.
Unfortunately, I never pressed the unlock button. The keys were in my pants pocket. The service manager said that probably my house key or the car key pressed on the unlock button and that caused it to happen. I now hold the keys in my hand until I am far enough away from the key for it not to happen. Honda is very aware of this problem but has no intention of fixing it since it is in the owner's manual.

·
Banned
379 Posts
I locked my car only to return 4 hours later to find the windows halfway down and the sun roof open. I spoke with Honda Customer Service and they were zero help. They did advise that that on a page in the owner's manual was the instruction of using the key fob and pushing the unlock button would let the windows down. I never pressed the unlock button! I was told by a service manager at dealership, that if you put the keys in your pocket or purse and something presses against the buttons it will happen. Great, so everything, including the car, can conveniently be stolen!! Anyone else have this happen?
I hate this "feature". I can't believe people like it lol. I have found my windows open several times. Luckily never in rain or snow.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I hate this "feature". I can't believe people like it lol. I have found my windows open several times. Luckily never in rain or snow.
It can be useful to start cooling off the car a bit on a hot day as you are getting close to it or standing nearby. Those days with remote start being a better option for something like that it’s not all that useful. Either way though, it would certainly be good to have the ability to disable it if desired.

·
Banned
379 Posts
I cool with auto start and AC, but even if I didn't have that I'd hate this feature. It's just too easy to open everything up. I'm constantly running to check my windows if it's raining just be sure they're closed lol. I wish they had a way of disabling it in the settings, then it's not so bad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a used 2014 pilot almost a year ago. During the first week or two, a few times, I noticed that when I went outside to get in my car, I noticed all the windows were down about an inch. I thought it was odd but figured being unfamiliar with the vehicle, I hit a button or something inside the car. Then I was driving home during the rain, I noticed the sunroof panel inside was getting wet. After I got out, I saw that the sunroof was slightly ajar. What I think I figured out was that I was using the remote just like I did my prior vehicle (Mercury Mountaineer) it seems like with the Pilot, if you press the unlock button a second time and hold it slightly, it opens the windows and sunroof. I was rather annoyed. The windows are one thing, but the sunroof? That is something you might not notice for a while if the interior panel is closed.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I agree that including sunroof in the auto-open feature is asinine but I like this feature which I have in my Nissan minivan but not in the 1st gen Pilot.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had it happen once when I first got the 2010 Pilot. The dealer explained that for emergency use if you hold down the window down button a few extra seconds after the window is down it sends a signal to open all the windows and sunroof. You can close everything the same way with the driver up button.
The key in your pocket only locks or unlocks the car or blows the horn alarm accidently, sure that happens on any car if you have too many keys on the ring. Maybe when you sit or squad another key will flip up and hit a button on the key sending unit. I put the keys the pocket with the kleenexes, not the one with change and misc items. No more issues.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had it happen once when I first got the 2010 Pilot. The dealer explained that for emergency use if you hold down the window down button a few extra seconds after the window is down it sends a signal to open all the windows and sunroof. You can close everything the same way with the driver up button.
The key in your pocket only locks or unlocks the car or blows the horn alarm accidently, sure that happens on any car if you have too many keys on the ring. Maybe when you sit or squad another key will flip up and hit a button on the key sending unit. I put the keys the pocket with the kleenexes, not the one with change and misc items. No more issues.
The keyfob can also open all windows (and sunroof), as described in some earlier posts.

As far as opening or closing all windows from within the car, are you saying that you can do all of that just with the single driver's window button?

·
Registered
65 Posts
The reason they don't roll back up the same way is because Honda cheaped out on the back windows. They don't have the automatic reverse feature, if the window encounters an obstacle rolling back up. It could cause serious damage to a person or pet, if you unwittingly closed the window on them from afar.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The reason they don't roll back up the same way is because Honda cheaped out on the back windows. They don't have the automatic reverse feature, if the window encounters an obstacle rolling back up. It could cause serious damage to a person or pet, if you unwittingly closed the window on them from afar.
That would likely be at least part of it. Didn't realize that was the case with the rear windows as I was under the impression that all windows had the automatic reverse feature these days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts