Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months now, Ive had a loud, metal on metal sound from the front of my 07. It got progressively louder. It only happened when the wheel was turned and I was accelerating. In particular, a left turn was the worst, under hard acceleration (which is all I do). FINALLY, I figured it out. The dust shield/ shroud over the disc brake on the front left tire was rubbing against the disc. I popped the tire off (which was not necessary it turned out) then with a screw driver and hammer was able to bend it out. After a test drive the sound is gone. Mostly. I'm slightly wondering if this means my bearing on that side has too much play. I guess I'll wait for that sound now too.

So, there it is. If this happens to you, this is a possible free fix (my favorite kind).

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Raise the tire off the ground, grab the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock position and pull back and forth, is there excessive play? Do the same at 12 and 6. Bad wheel bearings can be detected this way but will also make a vibration noise that will increase in pitch (sound) as speed increases.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
If dust shields behind rotors are too far gone rusted to be bent back into shape, you can also just yank them off without consequence to speak of.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Mostly. I'm slightly wondering if this means my bearing on that side has too much play. I guess I'll wait for that sound now too.

Glad you figured it out.

Did you see NG's post about a simple wheel bearing check?

Reactions: Nail Grease
1 - 5 of 5 Posts