Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

We have had such a mess with our 2012 Pilot. The day after we bought it with 95K miles on it, the VTM-4 light came on - accompanied by a sound very similar to an antilock braking sound, quiet, intermittent vibrating at low speeds, but not while braking... We had the entire VTM module replaced at about $1500. No more sound, but soon after, light back on... we just let it ride for a while but then a code showed up that said the temperature switch needed replacing. Another $300. Light gone for about a day, then back on. Not sure how to get rid of it!

Previous owner complained of having to replace front brake rotors too frequently, which we have now experienced too. He was Mr. Moneybags and had entire front suspension replaced because he couldn't figure what was causing rotor issue. Recently, we've noticed pronounced uneven front tire tread as well. Seems strange - front end issues, brake rotor issues, VTM4 light won't stay gone.

Can anyone help diagnose this? Seems like a common fix is changing diff fluid, but none of the three shops I've been too have mentioned this. Dealer was no help. Quite the mystery... Any ideas?

Thank you!

Mo

·
Registered
844 Posts
Front brake rotor vibrations are caused by soft pad deposits on the rotors. A good ceramic aftermarket pad and resurfaced or new rotors will cure this.

Regarding the VTM, have you changed the fluid? I'd start there, not sure why the dealer is stumped. They should be able to scan for codes and find the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, change the VTM4 fluid. I would strongly consider looking into doing some of this yourself too as you are getting hosed on price. I changed the temp sensor (about a $30 part and 20 minute job) on my kids 03 Pilot and changed the fluid 3 times over a period of weeks and all good after. The fluid was never changed as far as I could tell, owner neglect. I have seen the same with Honda transmissions too. Most Honda failures and problems stem from failure to open the hood. Whenever I buy used the first thing I do is change out every fluid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts