Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

please forgive my ignorance but what is this cable for and what is its proper name, mine is totally ripped off.

419A18A9-5AF0-4CE1-9C98-E088B2960191.jpeg

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Do you know what is that for? Is it an immediate fix?
You have 2 of these.
Frame to Engine
Frame to Transmission
Grounding to the frame is essential for the electrical functions of your transmission and engine to work properly. Most notably your starter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Whoa...I was just looking through your old post cause I saw that you're Canadian. I noticed that you got an MB plate, are you in Winnipeg?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.
You have 2 of these.
Frame to Engine
Frame to Transmission
Grounding to the frame is essential for the electrical functions of your transmission and engine to work properly. Most notably your starter.

Thank you. that sounds important to me.
Whoa...I was just looking through your old post cause I saw that you're Canadian. I noticed that you got an MB plate, are you in Winnipeg?
Yes I am. Are you as well?

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
304 Posts
I recently asked this question on a similar thread a few days ago. Everyone agreed that the cable is the one labeled as #10 in the link NailGrease posted above. I ordered it, along with the other ground cable (labeled #7), both arrived yesterday and I can confirm that they are the right part numbers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found it, it's from my 07 but It looks the same as yours. Nothing wrong with it except wire loom is cracked, I replaced cause I had extra cable from when I replaced #7 cable.

You can have it.
Thank you so much, how much do you want for it? And where can I meet you?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I recently asked this question on a similar thread a few days ago. Everyone agreed that the cable is the one labeled as #10 in the link NailGrease posted above. I ordered it, along with the other ground cable (labeled #7), both arrived yesterday and I can confirm that they are the right part numbers.
thank you. So you are saying I would need both #7 and #10?

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
304 Posts
thank you. So you are saying I would need both #7 and #10?
Probably not, but both cables were heavily corroded and partially broken on my 04 Pilot, so I figured I'd replace both while I had the battery out and disconnected. Check your other ground cable (it's the one leading from the negative battery terminal and going to the frame and also down below to the transmission) to see if it's corroded or damaged.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Probably not, but both cables were heavily corroded and partially broken on my 04 Pilot, so I figured I'd replace both while I had the battery out and disconnected. Check your other ground cable (it's the one leading from the negative battery terminal and going to the frame and also down below to the transmission) to see if it's corroded or damaged.
For some strange reason Honda didn't think it was necessary to insulate the entire ground cable which terminates near the starter and the exposed section was in pretty sorry shape on my '05 until I replaced it around a year ago with some 4 gauge car audio cable that I had in my inventory. Everyone should check out that exposed section of ground wire on their Pilots because mine was fraying badly, literally falling apart.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Everyone should check out that exposed section of ground wire on their Pilots because mine was fraying badly, literally falling apart.
Do you mean like this wire? Initially thought a few strands were connected but it will be replaced. Thinking of left over battery cable or some flat braided wire. No start issues LOL
7F9414C7-0D9E-4F79-A12D-CE06997B285A.jpeg

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Do you mean like this wire? Initially thought a few strands were connected but it will be replaced. Thinking of left over battery cable or some flat braided wire. No start issues LOL View attachment 136817
The bolts and bracket the ground wire attaches to needs cleaning. I use CLR for rusted and corroded parts.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do you mean like this wire? Initially thought a few strands were connected but it will be replaced. Thinking of left over battery cable or some flat braided wire. No start issues LOL

View attachment 136817
That looks similar to what mine looked like...frayed badly with corrosion...just a stupid design. I cleaned everything up before I connected the new terminal/wire to that grounding point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my 2004 Pilot this ground strap corroded / disconnected several years ago. Didn't repair because never had known problems related to. Finally tackled the job a couple weeks ago.

Found a 9-in. lawn battery cable at Walmart (about $4). Removed the engine covers, bolt by radiator cap and the other on lower engine (10mm bolts?), threaded through the guide. Terminals fit perfect! Rebolted, good to go!

While you would think this ground is important, no change in engine, transmission or electrical performance after repair.

Picture of Walmart cable that is too long attached (still in vehicle hadn't returned). Hope this helps someone in future.

2004 Honda Pilot 366k miles.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts