Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And she was right. Being the kind soul she is, she didn't ask if it had anything to do with all the work I had just done to the Pilot that created all the bottles and containers of oils and fluids sitting in the corner waiting to go to the recycler.

Hopefully when I get the courage to take a look under the Pilot ... it won't ruin my day......

Well, the differential was wet with red fluid. (red arrows point to drops of oil) I'm sure it's VTM-4.

I put a wrench on the drain plug and it was tight. Will have to lower the spare to get to the fill plug. Not sure how there's oil on the front of the diff as I haven't done any driving in reverse over 1mph backing out of the garage or gone down any steep hills. ... ugh! That garden sprayer under pressure filled it so fast fluid was draining out of the fill port for so long I didn't wait for it to stop. I wonder if it's just an overfill issue. (fingers crossed)

Where's the breather on this dude?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
That front pinion seal is not designed to be a flooded seal. As others recommend, correct the level, clean everything, look again.

I will alert you that a tablespoon of ATF or VTM or power steering fluid will make a lake on the floor deserving of a name and maybe a boat launch. Newspaper underneath will do a lot to help locate leaks if they are persistent. Less tendency to flow downhill and all.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That front pinion seal is not designed to be a flooded seal. As others recommend, correct the level, clean everything, look again.

I will alert you that a tablespoon of ATF or VTM or power steering fluid will make a lake on the floor deserving of a name and maybe a boat launch. Newspaper underneath will do a lot to help locate leaks if they are persistent. Less tendency to flow downhill and all.
Dropped the spare and put a wrench on the fill plug. It was tight. So I slid under far enough to examine the pinion seal. Dry. whew. Soooo where the heck is it leaking from?

I couldn't find the breather so I decided to make sure it wasn't over filled and yanked the fill plug. Nothing came out. I refilled it and it took about a cup. Let the drip stop and went to put the plug in when I noticed ... wait for it ... no crush washer! I know for fact I had one on it because I looked at it to see if it was good enough to reuse.

I looked everywhere for half an hour and and finally found it inside the square crossbeam where the lifting point is. The only thing I can think happened is when I was fishing the plug through the cross beam the washer fell off. I'm surprised I didn't hear it.

I even remember thinking when I put the torque wrench on it that the used crush washer didn't crush at all and almost decided to go get a new one. But I had stuff out everywhere from changing all the fluids, and it was getting ready to rain so, I started cleaning up and never went back with a new washer. arrgh!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
And she was right. Being the kind soul she is, she didn't ask if it had anything to do with all the work I had just done to the Pilot that created all the bottles and containers of oils and fluids sitting in the corner waiting to go to the recycler.
Awesome...she's a keeper! Better to have reported a strange puddle than to have problems on the road.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,892 Posts
Your garage floor is a lot cleaner than mine. View attachment 143057

I see your technical loophole there. :p

I thought I had OCD too, but by golly,,,

View attachment 143058

Well, it used to be, :)

garden sprayer
Well there's your problem right there. :p

Killer, all right. :p Hope you found it now and it's an easy fix / cleanup.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
387 Posts
when I noticed ... wait for it ... no crush washer! arrgh!
seen that one coming :) Personally I never start any drain & fill job without replacement washers on stand-by. It's a good habit to get into because it forces you to check and double and triple check during the procedure. and prevents (almost always) post operation troubleshooting !

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
seen that one coming :) Personally I never start any drain & fill job without replacement washers on stand-by. It's a good habit to get into because it forces you to check and double and triple check during the procedure. and prevents (almost always) post operation troubleshooting !
Thanks for the pointer. Good advice that I agree with. I buy all the washers in bulk and keep them handy (in the glove box where I can find them). I guess "(almost always)" wasn't good enough in my case.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,196 Posts
I don't hesitate to re use, especially on the fill plug. But the drain plug too.
But I do at least use one, it's the same one, but I use one LOL

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't hesitate to re use, especially on the fill plug. But the drain plug too.
But I do at least use one, it's the same one, but I use one LOL
I'm installing all new JiffyDrains, empties all the fluid in two seconds, and the best part is no stinkin' aluminum non-magnetic easy to lose hard to find crush washer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts