Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My name is Jonathan and we're from North Dakota. We just purchased a 2012 Honda Pilot Touring (White/Crystal Pearl White) 4WD with 67,832 mileage. Nice to meet you all thru online. lolZ! We need some tips and opinions from you Piloteers regarding maintenance schedules like what mileage oil change we need to do it like every 5k or 7.5k miles what oil to use (consistency and brand). Do I need to get a S-VCM or any VCM disabler device. Also stuff to look for in maintaining this beautiful SUV.

·
Registered
32 Posts
WELCOME! Throw up some pictures of your pilot! I HIGHLY recommend the VCM Muzzler II. My car is peppier running and I didn’t lose much as far as mileage, maybe 1 mpg.

Also, you planning on doing anything else to it or just keep it stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WELCOME! Throw up some pictures of your pilot! I HIGHLY recommend the VCM Muzzler II. My car is peppier running and I didn’t lose much as far as mileage, maybe 1 mpg.

Also, you planning on doing anything else to it or just keep it stock?

I'm planning some cosmetics accessories for now but need some sample pictures what other Piloteers are doing with there 2nd Gens! Looking into S-VCM since I live in Very Cold and Warm Weather just having doubts if you need to pull it out when servicing or just plug and leave it there forever. Also I'm looking into having an All Terrain look wheels and tires on it just wondering the clearance so there will be no rubbing issues and no spacers to be needed. Color combo will be black and white with some red

·
Registered
32 Posts
So as far as the Muzzler, it comes with a set of plugs that you change with extreme temperature changes to find the one that is correct. It comes with full instructions as well. But you can pretty much plug and forget. Unless you have a warranty in which case I would take out when taking to be serviced. Here is how mine currently sits

So far I changed out the headlights to black housing headlights and LED highs lows and fogs. WIting to tint the fogs yellow. I also added a short ram intake as well. Probably going to plastidip my wheels black and change interior lights to LED.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So as far as the Muzzler, it comes with a set of plugs that you change with extreme temperature changes to find the one that is correct. It comes with full instructions as well. But you can pretty much plug and forget. Unless you have a warranty in which case I would take out when taking to be serviced. Here is how mine currently sits

So far I changed out the headlights to black housing headlights and LED highs lows and fogs. WIting to tint the fogs yellow. I also added a short ram intake as well. Probably going to plastidip my wheels black and change interior lights to LED.

Nice ride! This are my list which I'm going to do with the 2012 HP Touring; Black Housing Headlights -eBay, LED lights Interior and Exterior lights except for headlight bulbs for now, Fog Lights LED with Black housing and Yellow LENS, then throw some K&N drop in to OEM box air filter. With the hood I'm wrapping it with Carbon Fiber look. Still deciding of getting S-VCM or Muzzler but will surely get one. I'm also looking into Sun/Wind/Rain Visor for the four windows. Then I'll be adding a Cargo Roof Rack (cheap but good sturdy quality). Then will be looking into A/T wheels and tires combo (need some guidance on this one). Do you have any links for aftermarket accessories?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought the Headlights, LEDs, Foglights, and i take all on eBay... Do you have LED turn signals and brake lights? I’m interested to know if you had any issues with them....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the Headlights, LEDs, Foglights, and i take all on eBay... Do you have LED turn signals and brake lights? I’m interested to know if you had any issues with them....

Don't have any yet but I'm looking around thru web. Will let you know and send you some links if I found one!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fair warning, I have tried a couple of different brands and bulbs all with trouble. Either the brake light stays on, or stays off, the turn signals either stay on all the time or blink when turning and are off when not, etc.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
My name is Jonathan and we're from North Dakota. We just purchased a 2012 Honda Pilot Touring (White/Crystal Pearl White) 4WD with 67,832 mileage. We need some tips and opinions from you Piloteers regarding maintenance schedules like what mileage oil change we need to do it like every 5k or 7.5k miles what oil to use (consistency and brand). Do I need to get a S-VCM or any VCM disabler device.
First, check to make sure there are no open recalls for your Pilot.
Enter your VIN here: https://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls

Read the section of the owner's manual that covers the Maintenance Minder system.
It prompts you when maintenance is required and tells you what is needed to be done.
If you didn't get one, download a copy from the Honda website.
https://owners.honda.com/vehicle-information/information/2013/Pilot/manuals

There is no longer any "official" printed maintenance schedule.
The closest you'll find is attached to the first post in this thread:
https://www.piloteers.org/threads/maintenance-minder-updated.159675/#post-1587223

Adding a VCM disabling device is probably a good idea.

Use any major brand of 0W-20 full synthetic motor oil.

I'm planning some cosmetics accessories for now but need some sample pictures what other Piloteers are doing with there 2nd Gens! Also I'm looking into having an All Terrain look wheels and tires on it just wondering the clearance so there will be no rubbing issues and no spacers to be needed.
Maybe skip the cosmetic accessories, at least for now, and save up for a timing belt change.
Recommended interval for that service is 105K miles or 7 years.

Do you need A/T type tires, or do you just want the look?

... then throw some K&N drop in to OEM box air filter.
Honda specifically advises against using an oiled type filter, such as K&N, since the oil can foul the air flow sensor.
Stick with the conventional dry paper type engine air filter.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
To get an idea of the maintenance items to expect in the future, go to Honda’s site and download the 2005 maintenance schedule. That was the last year before they changed over to the maintenance minder system. Add transfer case fluid changes since 2006+ 4WD Pilots have a separate transfer case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First, check to make sure there are no open recalls for your Pilot.
Enter your VIN here: https://owners.honda.com/service-maintenance/recalls

Read the section of the owner's manual that covers the Maintenance Minder system.
It prompts you when maintenance is required and tells you what is needed to be done.
If you didn't get one, download a copy from the Honda website.
https://owners.honda.com/vehicle-information/information/2013/Pilot/manuals

There is no longer any "official" printed maintenance schedule.
The closest you'll find is attached to the first post in this thread:
https://www.piloteers.org/threads/maintenance-minder-updated.159675/#post-1587223

Adding a VCM disabling device is probably a good idea.

Use any major brand of 0W-20 full synthetic motor oil.

Maybe skip the cosmetic accessories, at least for now, and save up for a timing belt change.
Recommended interval for that service is 105K miles or 7 years.

Do you need A/T type tires, or do you just want the look?

Honda specifically advises against using an oiled type filter, such as K&N, since the oil can foul the air flow sensor.
Stick with the conventional dry paper type engine air filter.
Thanks for the tips/recommendations and or sharing your knowledge! Really appreciate it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the tips/recommendations and or sharing your knowledge! Really appreciate it.
Hey broski, any updates? I ended removing the plastidip from my grill, looks better without it, but definitely plastidipping the wheels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey broski, any updates? I ended removing the plastidip from my grill, looks better without it, but definitely plastidipping the wheels.

Not much. lolz! I just grab some 3D MAXpider all weather mats (1st and 2nd row for now), switch interior lights bright/pure white LEDs, and S-VCM installed the other day. No plastic dipping yet due to weather conditions up North (ND Winter getting colder and colder) lolz... might do it on spring or summer. Now I'm thinking of adding DIY Plug and Play remote starter for winter season... Saving for timing belt water pump and fluids services even though it's still 67k mileage it's already 7 years old SUV (2012 Touring 4WD) sounds right? haha so newbie owning a 2012 4WD SUV Touring Pilot coming from 2013 Mini Cooper. Also we just transferred this year from Canada to ND, USA and we don't know any trusted mechanic/shop for the both cars we have now... definitely dealership are second options due to expensive fees.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts