Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to do my first transmission fluid change. It鈥檚 windy. And that jack stand look like it鈥檚 about to give out but 馃し馃従馃挴馃槵馃憖馃憖
Might use the funnel instead of the sprayer(flow to slow馃挴

Attachments

Registered
Banned from wife鈥檚 2005 Pilot LX
If that jack is the only thing holding up the Pilot DO NOT GET UNDER THAT VEHICLE. Invest in a good set of jack stands.

Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
First off what you pictured is not a jack stand. It is a jack for changing a tire and NOTHING MORE!

These are jack stands.

As is this.

To crawl under a vehicle with the vehicle jack instead of proper jack stands is not only foolish but down right dangerous.

An alternative option is ramps

Either way, I would not proceed until I had the proper tools to do this or any such job.

Registered
Invest in some wheel chocks as well if you don鈥檛 have that. And a good floor jack with sufficient lift height to get the wheels off the ground.

For the tranny fluid change I don鈥檛 need to raise my (2005) Pilot.

Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
Pilot should be level for draining ATF, or if you really want you can raise the left rear just a little to get a couple more ounces out. If you raise the front, less fluid is going to drain it because the drain hole is at the front of the transmission.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off what you pictured is not a jack stand. It is a jack for changing a tire and NOTHING MORE!

These are jack stands.
View attachment 138695

As is this.
View attachment 138696

To crawl under a vehicle with the vehicle jack instead of proper jack stands is not only foolish but down right dangerous.

An alternative option is ramps
View attachment 138697

Either way, I would not proceed until I had the proper tools to do this or any such job.
馃く馃く馃く馃く馃く馃く馃くCar was moving when on there

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Invest in some wheel chocks as well if you don鈥檛 have that. And a good floor jack with sufficient lift height to get the wheels off the ground.

For the tranny filter change I don鈥檛 need to raise my (2005) Pilot.
Didn鈥檛 know I could do that...Great!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pilot should be level for draining ATF, or if you really want you can raise the left rear just a little to get a couple more ounces out. If you raise the front, less fluid is going to drain it because the drain hole is at the front of the transmission.
Ohhhh. Yeah I wondered. But every transmission fluid change video I watched had the car lifted馃し馃従But yeah I lowered it!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So manage to get the refill Bolt loose
After a 17mm , 18鈥 extension bar, and A BROKEN RATCHET馃槹馃槫 Anyone knows A Quick fix?!!

Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
So manage to get the refill Bolt loose
After a 17mm , 18鈥 extension bar, and A BROKEN RATCHET馃槹馃槫 Anyone knows A Quick fix?!!
Having troubles with the refill bolt? I had to use my 2ft 1/2" breaker bar, to 3/8" adapter, two extension bars + 17mm socket to pop mine loose. Would advise wearing gloves when you crack it open so you don't slam your hands into something when it gives.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Having troubles with the refill bolt? I had to use my 2ft 1/2" breaker bar, to 3/8" adapter, two extension bars + 17mm socket to pop mine loose. Would advise wearing gloves when you crack it open so you don't slam your hands into something when it gives.
Broke it loose but now got a bigger problem. First off Var is raised to give a better angle to reach the drain Plug馃挴 My dumb a** used this Broken ratchet (Pic 1) To try and loosen this drain plug( Pic 2)And because I didn鈥檛 inspect it before hand I don鈥檛 know if it was stripped before hand馃挴And because I had no clearance I didn鈥檛 know if it was flushed or not....felt like it was

Attachments

Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
Broke it loose but now got a bigger problem. First off Var is raised to give a better angle to reach the drain Plug馃挴 My dumb a** used this Broken ratchet (Pic 1) To try and loosen this drain plug( Pic 2)And because I didn鈥檛 inspect it before hand I don鈥檛 know if it was stripped before hand馃挴And because I had no clearance I didn鈥檛 know if it was flushed or not....felt like it was
That's no good. If you want to try a "hack", could put a paper towel over the socket end of a breaker bar (I used my 1ft 1/2"), and shove/rubber mallet it into place, and then try loosening it. Otherwise I'd would refrain from trying to loosen that anymore without using a special tool like below:

This video demonstrates various different types of extractors you could use, and their effectiveness on rounded bolts:

You might also be able to "rent" a set for free (put down a deposit, which you get back when you bring the tools back) from your local auto supply store.

Registered

Registered
Yep, mechanics gloves with padded knuckles save me a great deal of pain when that bolt broke free.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's no good. If you want to try a "hack", could put a paper towel over the socket end of a breaker bar (I used my 1ft 1/2"), and shove/rubber mallet it into place, and then try loosening it. Otherwise I'd would refrain from trying to loosen that anymore without using a special tool like below:

This video demonstrates various different types of extractors you could use, and their effectiveness on rounded bolts:

You might also be able to "rent" a set for free (put down a deposit, which you get back when you bring the tools back) from your local auto supply store.
At the yard.. ima just get one off this junker

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts