Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 2 Pilots, NEITHER of which have any issues that could be associated with the VCM operation. Period.
But, I decided that everyone hoots and hollers about how nice it is with it disabled, I decided to look in to it.

I was going to just install the 84 ohm resister and be done with it.
But then I decided, why not have a plug and play product, that can preserve indications of overheating?

So, I purchased 2 x SVCM- from the website- from Canada. I have an 08, and a 15 Pilot.
They arrived today.
I watched some YouTube's, and had positive location of the ECT1 sensor on the Pilot:

** This picture is NOT in the directions, (which are pretty crappy at best), I easily found it and posted it.

Per the instructions, unplug the harness from the senor, and plug the male connector of the SVCM controller into the harness- that went to the ECT1 senor.
IT DOES NOT FIT!!, It is really close, but does not 'plug' in, no matter how I hold my tongue, etc.
(I been working on things all my life, it's not me)
I tried multiple times, from multiple angles. Nadda.

I'm not going to get out my file and modify a less than $5 piece that I just spent OVER $100 - for EACH one! And THEY DON'T FIT!! Neither one would work.
It does click into itself however, the male to female- so it does work on something.

Ad says 2006 Pilot and newer.

I'm pissed!! Why in the hell didn't I just make my own for less than $5 a piece and splice in a Radio shack 84 ohm resister?

*** There is not contact into, they do have an email.

I sent an email.

I gave them until the end of the day tomorrow, 12/18/20 to make this right.

I'll follow up when they get in touch with me and their reply.

My endorsement or bashing is on hold until then.

** I just sent a note to PayPal also- that I'm giving them one day, or I want a full refund of the $104.49 x 2 I spent on these
(as of now), unusable, not as advertised, uninstalled products.

We'll see, I'll update with any progress.

** They quickly returned my email, after 2100 CT, and are going to make it right!
See my pasting their email in post #9.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I have 2 Pilots, NEITHER of which have any issues that could be associated with the VCM operation. Period.
But, I decided that everyone hoots and hollers about how nice it is with it disabled, I decided to look in to it.

I was going to just install the 84 ohm resister and be done with it.
But then I decided, why not have a plug and play product, that can preserve indications of overheating?

So, I purchased 2 x SVCM- from the website- from Canada. I have an 08, and a 15 Pilot.
They arrived today.
I watched some YouTube's, and had positive location of the ECT1 sensor on the Pilot:
View attachment 142980

** This picture is NOT in the directions, (which are pretty crappy at best), I easily found it and posted it.

Per the instructions, unplug the harness from the senor, and plug the male connector of the SVCM controller into the harness- that went to the ECT1 senor.
IT DOES NOT FIT!!, It is really close, but does not 'plug' in, no matter how I hold my tongue, etc.
(I been working on things all my life, it's not me)
I tried multiple times, from multiple angles. Nadda.

I'm not going to get out my file and modify a less than $5 piece that I just spent OVER $100 - for EACH one! And THEY DON'T FIT!! Neither one would work.
It does click into itself however, the male to female- so it does work on something.

Ad says 2006 Pilot and newer.

I'm pissed!! Why in the hell didn't I just make my own for less than $5 a piece and splice in a Radio shack 84 ohm resister?

*** There is not contact into, they do have an email.

I sent an email.

I gave them until the end of the day tomorrow, 12/18/20 to make this right.

I'll follow up when they get in touch with me and their reply.

My endorsement or bashing is on hold until then.

** I just sent a note to PayPal also- that I'm giving them one day, or I want a full refund of the $104.49 x 2 I spent on these
(as of now), unusable, not as advertised, uninstalled products.

We'll see, I'll update with any progress.
Do the other connectors on the SVCMs fit the ETC sensor?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do the other connectors on the SVCMs fit the ETC sensor?
Well, it plugged into itself. It looks like the female one would go on to the ECT1 sensor- I didn't try it b/c it didn't matter.
I tried several angles, directions, it looks really close, but it's not quite the same match w/o some minor modifying.
this is < $5 technology, that I just spent $104.48 for x 2, for each of my pilots.

The 15 pilot is home now, I'm going to go try it.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK! First Update!

Our '15 Pilot is home from work now (my wife drives the newer one).
I unplug the ECT1 sensor- and I could tell right away, it's a different plug slightly.
I try to plug the svcm plug into the harness that went to the sensor.
Drum roll please...................

LIKE BUTTER!- Snaps right in!

* I wondered why the less protectrive product (IMO), the muzzler2-
Has different model #'s- different products for the Gen 1 and Gen 2.
ON SVCM's site- 2006 Pilot and newer. NOT!

The Gen 2 went in like a magnet it was so easy.
I dicked around with the Gen 1 for at least 5 minutes- it didn't fit!

I'll be waiting what they have to say about it.

Hopefully good customer service-
and I'll promote the H*!! out of their good customer service- when I get it?

I'll update tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, another update,
He/she/ they/it already answered my email.
Asking me to try it in on the 2015.
I CLEARLY ORDERED ONE FOR A 2008, AND ONE FOR A 2015!

Paid for w/ Paypal.

They CLEARLY sent the wrong one!
I told them I'd ship one back WHEN they email me a return shipping label.

OK, they may have screwed up the order.

They already answered my first email- good customer service!
We'll see where this goes, and I'll be glad to say good things about them.

I'll keep it updated.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok,
I also filed something with PayPal, saying the problem and that I had contacted the seller.
I did not ask for a refund, yet.

They (PayPal) already sent me an email stating they tried to contact the seller.

From his first and only email thus far, it seems as though he has the correct plug/part for the 08, and just sent me 2 of them that fit my Gen 2.

I'll keep updating.
From my point of view, I'll be happy if they send me a return label for one of them, and ship me the correct plug for my Gen 1. I'll be happy. I've paid them for a non usable product.
I did not mess up the order. We'll see where it goes, so I can talk about their customer service being good, etc. So far, it's been good as they've already answered my first email.
I'm not perfect either.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They just emailed again!!

Hi Todd,

Thanks for more information.

I just found in the shipping records that two units were sent, one for a 2015 Pilot and another 2018 - that's what caused the issue. There appears to be a typo when transcribing order information from the transaction system to our shipping entry platform - apologize for that! That step has to be done manually because they are two separate systems.

I will make sure that a 2008 model is dispatched tomorrow for you. You can keep the other piece as a backup for your 2015 Pilot, or use it perhaps one day when you upgrade your 2008 Pilot.

Apologies and thank you for your understanding (hope we humans are precise as machines).

RQ

OK, This all happened after 2100 hrs. tonight!

THIS IS excellent customer service!!

I recommend this product!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good night.

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
Now you're going to feel a nagging compunction to buy a third Pilot, and a 2018, no less. Sweet dreams.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Glad it was figured out.
I'm sure they will make it right.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think they will. I'll put the one on the '15 tonight.
I'm looking forward to putting it on the 08, now that it's my daily for now, I want to see/feel if there's any real difference.
Thus far the engine has been fine- knock on wood.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was having a similar problem as stated in another thread. It would not "click" into place in the factory connector nor into itself. I used a zip tie for a bit. Then I did get it to click in place finally with some force, light twisting, some blue language, and my thumbnail pressing down on the clip.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was having a similar problem as stated in another thread. It would not "click" into place in the factory connector nor into itself. I used a zip tie for a bit. Then I did get it to click in place finally with some force, light twisting, some blue language, and my thumbnail pressing down on the clip.
Thanks,
The problem with mine was they sent me 2 SVCM's for the plugs on the Gen 2's. It fits fine on my Gen 2.
But I had ordered 1 for a Gen 1, and 1 for a Gen 2.

They've sending the correct one.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hmmm, maybe that's why I had such a hard time.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
Prepaid shipping label FTW. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts