Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe it! My 8 week-old black Pilot EXL-RES got HIT!!! Some joker blew a stop sign and hit my wife on the passenger side and dented both doors. :mad: Nobody was hurt, it was a relatively light hit, but it still means two new doors and repainting the whole side of the vehicle. :mad: So much for that beautiful factory paint. Man, I can't believe it. I sure hope the place does a good job...they have a good reputation, and in the past, I have had them do work on a Civic and an Accord. Gheez!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Oh Larry...

I'm so sorry to hear that! :( :( :( So glad though that no one was hurt. Hope the guy got ticketed/fined and had insurance! :eek:
What a bummer!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Once the car is fixed get an aprasal that shows a decreas in value due to the repair.
You can sometimes get the other person to pay this amount, maybe from his liability insurance, maybe from his pocket.
It might take a threat of a small claimes court filing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
N-Jay[/B

Are most body shops familiar with conducting that type of appraisal, or do I go somewhere else?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Not sure, I would start there, and maybe ask YOUR insurance company.
It seems since a few have been sues for the difference between the pre-damage and post-repar value, they have writen in to teh policy that they cover the cost of the repair, but not the change in value.
Since you are trying to recover it from the other party, and not them they may be helpfull.
Hopefuly you and the other guy do not have the same company.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Once the car is fixed get an aprasal that shows a decreas in value due to the repair.
What Larry really needs to be compensated for is his pain and suffereing (i.e., aggrevation). An 8 week old Pilot being damaged causes mostly aggrevation more than any physical damage that can be repaired. I'd go out and buy myself a large hot fudge sundae and drown my sorrows in it; but that's how I deal with my problems.

Godspeed, Larry!

Evergreen

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Larry, so sorry hearing about your accident.

Why are some people such idiots?? Glad to hear that nobody was hurt though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
So sorry to hear about your Pilot, Larry!

At least nobody was hurt, leaving you with 2 good hands to strangle the person with!! :D Just kidding!! :9:

·
Registered
307 Posts
ouch, glad to hear all are ok.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Kinda puts things in perspective. I was really angry when the auto car wash hit my bumper when mine was 4 weeks old. I luckily found a body guy that goes from dealer to dealer to fix such minor scratches and he did a great job.
Sorry about your accident larry, hopefully you have a good body shop. I have a 96 accord that I had a wreck in when a dog ran out in front of a work truck with a heavy metal rear bumper. It as fixed and now is like new except for an occasional dash squeak in cold weather. Have not heard it since last winter. Waiting to see if it comes back again. Good luck and glad everyone was ok.
Regards,
Bob:4:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Our Pilot Was Hit Too!

Larry---if misery loves company I will join you on this one...My wife was stopped in traffic last week when "bam" ,the Pilot took a hit to the left rear bumper...It was a 17 yr old driver that got her license just 2 weeks ago(driving Dad's van)!! Our shop looked over the damage today and while I could see the obvious bumper and buckled quarter panel the shop pointed out that the impact also put a small crack in the left rear quarter glass panel..Yes, that is the same panel that houses the antenna...I have a feeling this could be a very expensive repair...Insurance Company for the other driver will be inspecting at shop tomorrow......I'll let you all know the final cost....

---Waxpilot on Long Island
(PS---wife was fine, said the Pilot absorbed the impact completely!)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Re: Our Pilot Was Hit Too!

waxpilot said:
Larry---if misery loves company I will join you on this one...My wife was stopped in traffic last week when "bam" ,the Pilot took a hit to the left rear bumper...
Hey waxpilot...
That's really too bad about your mishap too! It's bad enough it happened to either of you but to a new vehicle. UGH!

You've been around for quite awhile but I don't see your Pilot posted on the Vin Table. Did I miss it? If it's not there, here ya go...
http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=921

Hope all goes well - for you both. :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
My pilot is damage too

However, I was the one who did the harm. Glad you guys are all OK. I also had a near miss yesterday. Seems to me that the fall to winter is an accident concentrate season.

Safe piloting for everybody!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your sympathy, or should I say empathy! One of the reasons I posted my accident here is cuz I knew I would feel a little better after reading all the repsonses! Trust me, I am not much of a material guy, but at age 43, and haveing five sons (two grown up and gone), and being married almost 26 years, this was truly the nicest care we have ever purchased, so it was a real bummer to get hit. I am not so naieve that I don't realize that we are blessed that nobody got hurt, but now that I have realized that, I am bummed about the hit. :) As I said in my original post, I just hope the body shop does a good job. But for those of you who have black Pilots, you have probably already noticed that gorgeous deep blue (almost purple) sparkle in the black paint. You can see it when the sun hits it just right...really pretty. I can't imagine the body shop, good as they may be, will be able to match that!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Larry said:
I am not so naieve that I don't realize that we are blessed that nobody got hurt, but now that I have realized that, I am bummed about the hit. :)
My heart goes out to you.

Just like you, I love my Pilot and it would make me heartsick if it got hit.

(uploading sympathy)

Do you want us to form a gang and go beat them up for you?

(putting on her leather jacket)
CopperPoppy :twak:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Air bags

Again, sorry to hear about you accident... Did your side airbags go off? If so, did they help or did they cause any injury?

take care
rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pilot replaced Odyssey

These posts about accidents relate to how we wound up with our Pilot. Our beloved van (2001 Odyssey, EX, Green, Tan interior) was taken from us on August 9, 2002 around 4:12pm when a young woman in a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix turned into my wifes path of travel, crushing the entire front of her vehicle, and smashing the drivers side front left quarter of our van. My wife (six months pregnant at the time) walked away from it, but the van did not fare so well. $10,000 dollars in body work later (thank god for insurance) they discovered a hole in the transmission. At this point about one month had passed and I was beginning to tire of my Chevrolet Malibu rental. When 30 days passed and I was informed that from now on I get to pay for the rental out of my pocket, I became downright angry. When the body shop told me that Honda of America didn't have any replacement transmissions, and better yet couldn't/wouldn't provide an estimated time frame as to when one might become available, I was finished with the whole scene. I had them tow our van to a honda dealership and took a huge loss on the trade. Now, the sunny side of the whole story is that we were fortunate to get our 2003 Pilot! (EX-RES, Evergreen) It is soooo much nicer than our van, even at the expense of some storage space. I love the leather, acceleration, brakes, stereo, the kids love the video and we love the peace and quiet. (and I also like that it isn't a van) The moral of the story is, don't get in an accident with any of these vehicles(Pilot, MDX, Odyssey), it may take a whole lot longer to fix than your wallet can stand. By the way I love this site and I hope to add more (hopefully shorter) posts related to other Pilot-related episodes from the past few months. Like the time we...
:eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Me Too....

My 8 week old Pilot got a direct hit on the left rear wheel. Damage: Push in left side suspension, Side step, very minor body damage, and rear bumper. Total dollar damage>>> $5100. On top of that, 2.5 weeks in the shop. Basically, all the suspension parts were replaced on the left side including the cross member! Hope to get my Pilot back this week.

Some car thief stole a car with the engine running and decided to play bumper car driving down the street. The thief got away. :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Me Too....

agw1 said:
My 8 week old Pilot got a direct hit on the left rear wheel. Damage: Push in left side suspension, Side step, very minor body damage, and rear bumper. Total dollar damage>>> $5100. On top of that, 2.5 weeks in the shop. Basically, all the suspension parts were replaced on the left side including the cross member! Hope to get my Pilot back this week.

Some car thief stole a car with the engine running and decided to play bumper car driving down the street. The thief got away. :(

The first report was also at 8 weeks. Is there some bad karma in week 8 of the pilot or what???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts