Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PILOT's Been Damaged
I need emotional support - my PILOT has been hurt!

Tuesday morning (12/3/02), I'm driving down the highway, when the guy in front of me (in a big dodge truck) runs over some piece of debris in the road. That debris shoots skyward, prompting me to have to swerve to the left (near emergency maneuver) when the debris comes raining down and tearing off my passenger side mirror.

When I turn around to go back to the scene of the crime, I notice that the piece of debris in question is a thick 2-foot piece of copper piping that had been laying in the road and that not only was my mirror destroyed, the copper pipe also scratched the s**t out of my right front fender, gouging the metal and doing paint damage as well.

I've already contacted my therapist (Ralph Schomp Honda in Littleton, CO) and have my PILOT scheduled to have the mirror replaced, but now I need to have body and paint work done as well.

My "baby" is only 3-months old and now it's been "soiled" by the real world. I need a drink!

On a positive note: That damn PILOT is EXTREMELY stabile in a high speed avoidance maneuver. I was going 72mph at the time of the "de-virgining" of my PILOT!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am with you

Very very sorry to hear what you have been through. I am glad that you are not hurt (physically). You are right about the emergency maneuver. It saved me a few weeks ago. I know that kind of feeling. Hope you will get it through soon.

By the way, did you call the police to investigate the debris? Someone should be responsible for that!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sorry to hear about your baby! Even though you will get tired of hearing it, I'll say it anyway - At least you were not hurt!

GROUP DRINK!! :7:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your Pilot. You must be heart-broken. It's good to know that the Pilot is so adept at keeping us all safe though.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Didn't Call The Cops

I contacted the Colorado Department of Transportation, and because the copper pipe was laying in the road and already there - it's considered a "road hazard" with no liability. If it had fallen off of a vehicle, then the owner of that vehicle would have been liable.

If there was a defect in the roadway itself, the C-DOT would have been liable.

So basically, this is an incident that is going to have me tapping into my Christmas cash to fix my ride!!!!!

I guess I know what I'm getting for Christmas this year - a new mirror, body work and a paint job!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
What road were you traveling? It was probably C-470, or I-25 with all of that construction. Sorry to hear about your incident. How is Ralph Schomp treating you?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where I Was JCardona !

I was travelling eastbound on C-470 between the Yosemite exit and the I-25 interchange.

I was cruising in the fast lane with the guy in the dodge truck in front me. the guy in the truck ran over the copper pipe.

What I don't understand is, if you're driving down the highway and you see debris in it - don't you try to avoid it????? But then again, this is the state where stopping at a red light is only an option and turn signals are something that cars in other states are equipped with!!!!!

As for Ralph Schomp Honda - I can't say anything bad about their service department. They're a little expensive (in my opinion), but their level of service and their commitment to making their customer happy is well worth the extra money you may pay for work. They've been the dealership doing the work on my wife's '88 Accord ever since we moved to Colorado and they're just great!!!! Now that I have the PILOT - Schomp will be the exclusive dealer doing the work on it - even though I didn't buy my PILOT from them. But that wasn't Schomp's fault. The waiting list for PILOTs is LLLOOOONNNGGG! I was looking in August and they weren't able to get the vehicle I wanted until February and I needed wheels a little sooner than that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
PILOTingCO,
I purchased my Pilot from Schomp 2 weeks ago. I ordered in August and was told February. Obviously they got mine earlier. I was not impressed with their sales staff. Not very knowledgeable. They also would not budge on anything, not even accessories!!! They offer a warranty that extends the mfr warr. to 7 yrs, 100,000 miles on the drivetrain and other limited items. This is offered for free. The catch, is that you must take the Pilot to them for everything, oil changes included. If you don't, you lose that warranty.
What about starting a Rocky Mtn Pilot club?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To: JCardona

The exposure I had with Schomp's sales team has been limited. When I first drove the PILOT back in June, I had already known more about the PILOT than they did, but that problem seems to be very common with all sales people who aren't "carheads" like I am.

My experience with Schomp has been mostly with the service department, and like I said, I can't say anything bad about them.

As for a Rocky Mountain PILOT Club - I'd be all for it!!!!!

I live in Parker and so far have seen a black, silver and red PILOT in my area, but not many more than that.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
That what insurance is for.

All you should pay is the deductable.

See if it can be covered under comprehensive rather than collision.

·
Registered
120 Posts
rear hatch

Add us to the scratch and dent club. Wife and kids went shopping last night and apparently the kids were getting something out of the back and did not close the lid tight. Anyway, when my wife opened the garage door this morning, it snagged the lift gate on the Pilot, and the rest is history. But, I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later. This is the third vehicle we have had with a lift gate, and all of them catch the garage door sooner or later. I just wish it had been later. Damage seems mostly in the paint. Maybe that ex-body repairman, brother of mine can help me with it when I get to Florida. I hid the keys from my wife.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Re: rear hatch

tibbitts said:
I hid the keys from my wife.
Hey, it wasn't my fault. Blame the kids.
Besides, you haven't forgiven me for spilling the crock pot of chili in the back, have you?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Now thats cool!!! I did not realize that Tibbits and Havasu were married.... I have to apologize, I thought Havasu was a he, now I feel like a dumb Canadian! ohh well, love what I learn on this forum, it is a never ending source of information!

ok, now the paint, Havasu, what the heck did you do.....:eek:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Darn, my secret is out.
Haven't done anything about the scratch yet (besides chastise the kids). The other half of the team will I'm sure worry about that more than me...
:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts